All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[Visual Enhancements] -video d3d raster.ini (HLSL)

Played with the sliders (persistence, vector flicker, beam width minimum and maximums and intensity) a little and the vector and while it may not be quite as noticeable as the first pic, on the monitor it is more intense.

image.thumb.png.7e154b9d08ce520f30dbb205353cd698.png

• Like 1

Okay, I get it!

Everything is tweakable from here :lol:

In just a few seconds time I completely ruined the appearance, but I was just randomly adjusting things.

I think it's safe to say that I'm happy with the great results I've already been exposed to in the d3d realm.  Certainly, it is something I'll retain for future reference though!

Edited by tthurman
ninja'd
  • Thanks 1

One thing I have noticed is that the video snaps show the old default view seems less real to me now that I am seeing things closer to how they were. Heavy sigh... not going to start a new project.

2 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

One thing I have noticed is that the video snaps show the old default view seems less real to me now that I am seeing things closer to how they were. Heavy sigh... not going to start a new project.

Not only that but a game such as 64th. Street - A Detective Story received significant bug fixes  in 0.169 which you can see in attract mode if you run a version later than that. The video snap was created before 0.169 and while the majority of people may not notice, it catches my eye every time I play my GameEX setup ;)

That's just one example and makes me wonder of how many others possibly exist. Although asking someone to redo all the snaps is a bit insane as it's a lot of work ;)

- 0.169: Added VRAM mirrors to 64th. Street, this fixed missing background graphics interaction [Angelo Salese]. Use 68k byte write smearing on main RAM, fixes attract movement in 64th. Street [David Haywood].

I believe that there is or should be some functionality within GameEx (not sure about GameEx Arcade) to create at least still image captures. If there were a way of automating it that would be awesome.

Links to the MAMEDev pages with a high-level definition for BGFX and HLSL .

A quote  from the HLSL section (and reads similarly in the BGFX section) to keep in mind should there be any expectation that shared HLSL and BGFX settings files are going to look the same from one person's system to another's:

HLSL simulates most of the effects that a CRT arcade monitor has on the video, making the result look a lot more authentic. However, HLSL requires some effort on the user’s part: the settings you use are going to be tailored to your PC’s system specs, and especially the monitor you’re using. Additionally, there were hundreds of thousands of monitors out there in arcades. Each was tuned and maintained differently, meaning there is no one correct appearance to judge by either. Basic guidelines will be provided here to help you, but you may also wish to ask for opinions on popular MAME-centric forums.

So what looks great on mine may look like a turd on someone else's system. It comes down to your memory, system, and tastes.

MAME.pdf

I have to say I'm beyond satisfied with what B2K24 has provided and this is most definitely one of those instances where my pursuit of perfection ends, well at least until I run into a game that just looks horrible on my setup. :D

• Thanks 1

Agreed. I like that the notes state that it "requires some effort on the user's part" to tailor to their individual systems. So if you get an .ini that someone shared that doesn't look quite right, either experiment with the settings in that .ini file or search for others (of which there are probably many) until you find one you like.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

@tthurman @Draco1962 I might have found something even better. I've really been enjoying the look I'm getting from using the artwork override feature in the mame.ini

It seems to be a kind of filter that gives your LCD a glass look. I really like it on my display.

So while you're using -video d3d with hlsl using the raster.ini, have MAME use the attached horizont.zip and vertical.zip

I recommend to put them in an empty folder along with shadow-mask.png, or any other PNG files you might use and then change the artpath in mame.ini to point to this folder.

In the Core Artwork options of mame.ini change it to match what I've posted here:

artwork_crop              1
use_backdrops             1
use_overlays              1
use_bezels                1
use_cpanels               1
use_marquees              1
fallback_artwork          1
override_artwork          

Last thing is to stick horizont.ini and vertical.ini in the ini folder.

Let me know if you guys like it :)

test.zip

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

What impact will this have of you are using bezels which are also in the artwork path?

That's the thing is this *is* considered a bezel which is applied to all games so it's meant to be used alone.

If one is pleased with the look then the sacrifice would have to be acceptable. There's always the option of switching back and forth as well depending on mood.

• Like 1

I like the idea here but this one is just a bit too realistic for me.  Looks like a cab that's spent a lot of time in a corner tavern with lots of beer and cigarette ashes swiped across the screen.  :P

Also, my setup is running on a 49 Sony IPS, which I believe will lend itself much more towards the bezels Krakerman has contributed mostly due to size alone.  I appreciate the share, however, and will gladly give anything you suggest a spin! 

You have advanced my knowledge of working within this aspect of visuals greatly already.  Thank you!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tthurman said:

I like the idea here but this one is just a bit too realistic for me.  Looks like a cab that's spent a lot of time in a corner tavern with lots of beer and cigarette ashes swiped across the screen.  :P

Also, my setup is running on a 49 Sony IPS, which I believe will lend itself much more towards the bezels Krakerman has contributed mostly due to size alone.  I appreciate the share, however, and will gladly give anything you suggest a spin! 

You have advanced my knowledge of working within this aspect of visuals greatly already.  Thank you!

Understood.

It looks great on my 27" display but I don't have the means to try it on a giant HDTV so I'm unsure how that would look.

Yeah, I wish I could have the filter and glass effect without the scratches and imperfections and such. I'll have to figure out how to make my own if I can.

Thanks for giving it a look :)

Yeah the Krakerman  bezels look pretty nice. I dislike the fact though that it requires RocketLauncher. A guy named Phulshof takes them and converts them for direct MAME usage.

I hope he can keep up with all the work KM does because I don't know how he converts them ;)

• Like 1

If I had a direct link to them I could attempt to convert it to horizont.zip and vertical.zip

Everything I've seen though isn't generic and so you wouldn't want to see X-Men or some specific game when launching many different games. It would have to be generic.

4 hours ago, B2K24 said:

Understood.

It looks great on my 27" display but I don't have the means to try it on a giant HDTV so I'm unsure how that would look.

Yeah, I wish I could have the filter and glass effect without the scratches and imperfections and such. I'll have to figure out how to make my own if I can.

Thanks for giving it a look :)

Yeah the Krakerman  bezels look pretty nice. I dislike the fact though that it requires RocketLauncher. A guy named Phulshof takes them and converts them for direct MAME usage.

I hope he can keep up with all the work KM does because I don't know how he converts them ;)

Yep, I follow the RetroFE scene too!

One of the things I love about this hobby is that while some are sitting on the same thing, others continue to push it to the next level.  I believe those that truly love this hobby continue to press on for that reason alone, and the resulting competition it creates among the elite frontends benefits the community as a whole.   It's a win win from my viewpoint and something I fully support! :D

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
20 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Looks just like the one I gave my sister.

You gave a Trinitron with component inputs away?  SCART mods on the older models look even better but obviously requires a lot more work. 

Anyway, this one is really a 27" that comes in around 100lbs.  I would love to drive down the street and take it off the guy's hands for $25, I just don't know where I'd put it.

Well the one we had was a 32". It was heavy as hell too. I couldn't lift it alone and the odd curved shape in the back makes picking up and holding difficult. We really didn't have any place to put it. We have Sammy's in both offices, bedroom, and living room.

On 12/12/2018 at 9:16 PM, B2K24 said:

It an almost perfect match to what I'm using now. I got my PS1 hooked up with S-Video and PC w/ CRT Emudriver going component. It makes retro gaming very nice.

https://imgur.com/a/uOHGB

Looks like you have a very huge overscan there. I would try to find out the service keys (code you type with your remote) for your TV and try to adjust the picture for better (best) quality.

Good Facebook group for that kind of stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/444560212348840/

Pretty sure, you will find excellent advices there.

On 12/13/2018 at 4:25 PM, tthurman said:

You gave a Trinitron with component inputs away?  SCART mods on the older models look even better but obviously requires a lot more work. 

Anyway, this one is really a 27" that comes in around 100lbs.  I would love to drive down the street and take it off the guy's hands for $25, I just don't know where I'd put it.

Component is as good as SCART, there are no differences in terms of quality. You maybe thought of composhit, which indeed is worse.

• Thanks 1