All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[Visual Enhancements] -video d3d raster.ini (HLSL)

I've been enjoying the look of this the last couple of days I've worked on tweaking settings. It might be too dark for some but on my display it looks really good depending on game chosen.

Feedback, opinions, insults, welcome smile.gif

Enjoy!

raster.zip

Edited by B2K24
attached latest raster.ini
  • Thanks 1

Sure.

For those that have extracted official or a recent MAME build you'll notice files in location  MAME\ini\presets

These files take effect when running -video d3d -hlsl_enable from command-line or having video d3d hlsl_enable 1 in mame.ini

For those that want to try my modified raster.ini just chuck it in locations MAME\ini and MAME\ini\presets overwriting the one there. (I put it in both locations to make sure it takes effect)

What this does is it gives you a really nice HLSL look upon launching any raster game (which is the majority of them) because MAME prioritizes what's in these ini files over what's set in mame.ini

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Thanks! What is the first version of MAME to allow for this? I didn't find the presets folder with my version of MAME 0.158.

I forget exactly. Maybe 0.180 or so.

I recommend for anyone to simply use the latest version to avoid problems and conflicts.

158 is 3 years old and it's even before MAME/MESS even merged. You're missing out on so many newly added games, protos, bugfixes, etc.

Read the last 3 years of posts by Haze on his blog and ask yourself if you're willing to give up so much progress by sticking with an inferior outdated version of MAME

https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/

• 5 months later...

I decided to try and improve my raster.ini while my kids played on my GM + CRT setup.

I feel like this looks really good and it's very close to heading in the right direction. I just need to figure out how to give it some "vector pop" even though we're talking about raster games here.

For those that try it, tell me what ya think

I recommend to extract to both the ini folder and ini\presets just to be sure that it takes effect.

raster.zip

• Thanks 1

I knew the second the text came up after the initial tests completed that it was going be good stuff!

I just slid the Joust collection over into my roms folder to give her a spin.  If you can pull off some decent vector glow too, that would be incredibly cool.

• Like 1

I didn't tweak it myself. It was shared by another user on another forum.

It will take effect and apply only to video vector games and these games don't display a resolution on MAME's information screen. Certain Arcade games and vector display-based video game console

e.g. *mame64 vectrex armora*   (there's a software list for it)

• Thanks 1

Okay cool, so this one effectively does the work of both.

I've always been interested in this feature but steered clear due mostly to my ignorance of how to get started.  Your post removed all that guesswork and I was flat out amazed when I saw the results last night.  I'll run this through the paces with Star Wars and Tempest and report back.

• Thanks 1

Woah, trails!

This really takes things to a whole new level.  I got Star Wars stuck in some maintenance utility menu and can't get it out.  Once I figure how to get out of the calibration screens I'll try and post some comparison shots of it too.

Without:

Tempest without.jpg

With:

Tempest with.jpg

• Like 2

I am running on MAME 0.193 (yeah, I know, a little behind but I don't upgrade with every release so...) and I noticed a difference with the raster.ini without any mods, but not so much with the vector.ini. I may need to tinker with some values to get it to look right with my display.

25 minutes ago, B2K24 said:

@tthurman you've activated service mode in the Dip Switch settings. With MAME running access the Dip menu and turn service mode off then select reset ;)

That's it.  I reset over and over again to no avail......but somehow managed to never notice "service mode ON" :blush:

Sorry for the derail folks!

Back to our regularly scheduled program.....

• Haha 1

There is simply no comparison.  The minute the leaderboard came up it was decisively better.

The motion blur effects don't stand out as dramatically in the game as it does in these caps, but it looks phenomenal!

Without:

Star Wars without.jpg

With:

Star Wars with.jpg

I'm playing this on MAME 0.196 on my workstation, as that's what I've been testing with lately. 

What a game changer!

Doesn't seem to be breaking a sweat either, Average speed remains 100% throughout even with a CPU and GPU slot folding (although I know they got throttled back).

I can't wait to play this on my rig with the proper controller!

• Like 1