All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Need help setting up controls

Chadb706

I built a full size arcade a while back and I love gameex but had to get rid of my baby due to new kid and needing room. I just broke down and bought a Pandora's box 5s plus with 999 games on it but it's definitely not my CPU with gameex. I just happen to read that you can use it as a game controller. Before I sold my arcade I made a back up of the cpu in it so I just pulled it out and hooked everything up the Pandora's box hooks up thru USB it seems to work but I can't figure out how to setup the buttons does anyone have a setup like mine with a configuration file they can send me or anything to set it up to work on all the games like my arcade did. Thanks for any help.

Edited by tthurman
Moved to GameEx>General

I have seen a review of the Pandora 5 and do understand it use as a stand alone 'console' or as a jamma to USB arcade stick, even if I do not have one. I have an I-Pac joystick I built with the help of some of the nice peeps here on the forum...the concept is similar.

I am willing to try and help, but I will need some clarification on a few points.

1. It sounds like you are using the PandoraBox 5s as a game controller plugged into a Windows PC using GameEx as a front end? Is this correct? The reason I ask is because the way you are using the term CPU is incorrect. CPU is not short for 'computer'. It is short for 'central processing unit' which is a part in a computer. PC is short for 'personal computer'. (and please understand that I am not trying to make you feel bad or belittle you...I am just trying to understand your setup)
  2. Assuming #1 is a Yes, In the Devices area of the Control Panel, does it show up two "3H Dual Arcade" controllers?
  3. Assuming #1 is also a Yes, are you trying to set up buttons to navigate around GameEx, to use in the emulators, or both?

Yes PC I did not even realize my smarter then me phone was changing CPU to CPU and yes I'm trying to use it as the arcade controller to play the games it will already move up down left right I have played with setting and got it to add coins and controller donkey kong but can't seem to set it up like it was in my built arcade machine where u just went to whatever games and the controls where right I mean it has the same amount of buttons heck I think my Pandora's box has 2 extra ones.

You will need to set up the joystick and buttons for each emulator manually.

For Mame, plug a keyboard in before launching a game. Once the game is running, press TAB to open the configuration menu.

• Interface Menu: This is used to navigate the menus themselves. By default, you will use Up Arrow, Down Arrow, Enter, and ESC to get around int he menus. In the Interface Menu, you can adjust these binds so that you can use your joystick and buttons as well. To begin, I would leave this menu alone an djsut use the keyboard. When you have a better understanding on how these menus work, you can come back and rebind the stick and buttons here so that you don't have to use the keyboard as much (or at all).
  • Input (general): When you set up your binds in this menu, the binds will be used for every Mame game if you save the changes. I usually set up my P1 and P2 up/down/left/right, buttons, coin and start buttons first.
    • What you will do here is to use the Up and Down keys on your keyboard to navigate up and down in the menu. When you come to something you want to rebind, press Enter and then the direction on the stick or the button on the arcade controller.
    • For example: To set up Button 1 for Player 1 in the Input (general menu), use the arrow keys to navigate to the Input (general) menu and press Enter. Then navigate to the Player 1 Controls and press Enter. Then arrow down to P1 Button 1, press Enter, and press the button on the arcade controller for Player 1's Button 1. You will see the config change. When done configuring in this section, navigate to the very bottom to Return to the Previous Menu (which will save the changes).
    • For example: To next set up Left for Player 1 on the P1 joystick, arrow down to P1 Left, press Enter, and then press left on the P1 joystick.
    • Note: It is possible to bind multiple buttons, keys, and directions to the same setting (which you will probably do). You can clear a binding by navigating to it and pressing the Delete key
    • Other Controls: This is where you can bind a Coin and Start to buttons for each player.
  • Input (this game): When you set up your binds here, they will only apply to the game you are currently running. Some games work better with a button or stick layout that doesn't fit the standard one you will set up in Input General. A good example is a twin stick shooter where you will use both sticks for a one player game. You can set up the config for just that game without affecting other game bindings.
  • Note: To save your bindings when you are done in a menu, always scroll down the menu list to the very bottom and select 'Return to Previous Menu". This will save the changes you just made. To exit the menu system entirely, just scroll down to the bottom of each menu and 'Return to the previous menu'. Eventually, this will close the config menu and bring you back to the game.
  • Note2: There are configuration choices here for every piece of arcade hardware that every existed: racing wheels, foot pedals, yokes, track balls, spinners, mahjong, etc, etc. IT is a ton of stuff. Start with just binding the joysticks and buttons and making them work in Input (general). Then, as you find games that need a little individual control tweaking, use Input (this game). After you get a good feeling for how the binds work, if you have a game that doesn't work so well with a stick and buttons but want to see if you can make it work, hopefully you have enough basic understanding to begin figuring out how some of it works.
  • Note3: Avoid rebinding 'Cancel' in the interface menu until you know how binding works.
  • Note4: If everything goes horribly wrong and your Mame binds are just uber-screwed up, look for the default.cfg  file in the mame folder and delete it. The next time you run Mame, all of the binds will be set back to default.
  • I tried to find a good walk-through you tube video for Mame key bindings, but I could not find any good ones for starting out from scratch. However, they might be helpful later after you have some familiarity.

If you have console emulators such as NES, SNES, Genesis, etc, they will each have configuration menus for binding controls and each are likely to be different. They are not usually too tough to find and a little tinkering will get your controls set up there as well.

18 hours ago, Chadb706 said:

I built a full size arcade a while back and I love gameex but had to get rid of my baby due to new kid and needing room. 

Kudos. Babies should always be adopted out to make space for arcade cabinets. It's the law.

• Haha 1

Dont quote me but im sure somewhere on the net is acontrol.INI file that contains all the controls set for mame? that you just copy into the mame folder. The only 1 could find was for an older version but should work for most.

http://www.ledblinky.net/downloads/controls.ini.0.141.1.zip