All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Media for FX3 all messed up

Djgeojoe

Everything is hosed in FX3 media. I can not manually change media it seems, some times they are correct but if Marvel Ant man is selected on the wheel all other marvel tables become locked as ant man (locked image not moving) and only the backglass and media audio is changed. Is anyone else having this issue and were you able to correct it? All auto on-line media updates for FX3 marvel tables come up as Marvle Spider-Man (why are they not identified correctly online)? I have to manually go in to each item and select it correctly.

Another issue I have is on occasion a backglass or playfield video will lock and tear and stay that way, each other table that is not a fixed png image will then not play and show the locked tear video screen, this some times self corrects but I bet there is a codex issue or something. I am running a new 2017 PC, the latest edition of windows 10 (fully updated), i7, GTX1050, 16GB Ram, SSD (not your dads old core 2 duo). Honestly I am suppressed to see so many issues, the fact that I can not seem to update the media because the playfield screen is getting locked up is driving me nuts!

What codex should I have installed that is not part of wondows 10 that PinballX needs to work correctly?

Well I read on some site to install the Shark codec pack, did that and now its hosed even worse, most videos do not play now, ones that do are slow and jerky. Fantastic! It was hard enough to get DOF, DB2S, dmdext all working for weeks on end fixing problem after problem only to have it all torn down by a freaking codec problem when all videos play perfectly from beginning to end in VLC, WTF!

Well thank god the Shark codec uninstalled, now everything is back to the way it was (still messed up), the tearing video freeze screen problem is gone though. the problem I am having now is that a video play field or back glass will lock the screen and no other video is allowed to refresh (this only happens with a few table videos that worked before). Right now americn dad has what sounds like multiple audio tracks of the same audio, it like delayed a few milliseconds then one stops and you only hear one track playing (its like the video file has audio and it shte same audio that would be on the table audio file, I can not verify this because there is no way I can see to just remove the audio for a table). I suppose I could find the MP3 and video files in teh media folder and just delete it.

Biolab table video is frozen on the next table until bobs burgers is selected (that also has the audio echo multi playback problem) then bobs burgers playfield is showing on other tables but the video is frozen (until you select a table from another EMU like future pinball). Right now it looks like I could just re-code some of the video files to be compatible with what ever PinbalX is requiring but I need access to a ini or vbs file that points all the media to what files, is there a way to do that?

Well this is really not a fix but what I have been doing is finding the videos that are causing corruption, loading an alternate video of that table (via online) and slowly, things are getting better. Now I have to figure out why Mars, Marvel Avengers, American Dad, Bobs Burgers, Earth Defense, Excalibur and Family Guy are playing 2 table audio of the same file over each other (echoing).

OK, I think I got it nailed down. The echoing was cause by (what I thought) table video had audio and there was also a table audio fil playing at the same time so I deleted the table audio and no more echo. The video is another issue, it appears that some of the video files downloaded from GameEx online are encoded with different codex (most likely submitted by different people, some on mac's some on PCs, windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 etc, some with proper codecs and some with who knows what). They are easily spotted by looking at the video file icons, the ones that have thumbnails play nice with PinballX, the ones that do not have thumbnails are the ones PinballX is having issues with (most likely because I do not have the correct codec and a wrong one is attempting to play the file). I removed all the video files that were recorded with an unknown codec and used a static image instead and problem solved. Later I will download the video file again and copy it to my mac and re-encode the m4v to mp4 at a different bit rate, that will most likely work, then add it back to PinabllX (Online unchecked). I hope this helps some people less fortunate like me who know very little about video compression and runs into these problems. But its all fun right?!?!?!

Also if you are having problems getting the static image to show for a back glass or the playfield, I think that PinballX prioritizes video data first before images, so if you want an image you have to delete the video file in the media folder for that emu, then PinballX will revert to the static image (so it would seem).

11 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Uninstall Shark007 codecs and install LAV codecs.

Should I try LAV Filters 0.70.2? You think that will help PinballX play videos that will play in every other video player on my computer just fine, even windows 10 built in media player? All the videos giving me issues play fine in VLC and windows 10 media player so why does PinballX require a codec, does the PinballX embedded video player require the codec where VLC has the codec embedded and can play the file? I am just trying to understand how an application is able to play a file where another one cannot.

This was a good read: http://www.any-video-converter.com/mac-tutorial/video-codec.php

I will try the codec pack on the man page of pinballX web site and see if that helps. It would make sense to have the required codecs as part of pinballX but perhaps that requires licensing or something, the only other thing would be to restrict video uploads in the online section of GameEx to that which is encoded with the correct codec for PinballX or a general codec that is installed in windows that pinballX could use. In any case I bet the application was written to use external codecs to make it smaller and faster because damn, pinball X loads and exits fast as hell! Wheels and videos scroll (or spin if you will) so fast, it really is an amazing front end. I also like how the media is selected and organized both in the game setup application and the media file copies on the hard drive (genius!).  

Truth be told, Shark007 was the "go to" codec pack for the community for quite a while. LAV is so much smaller, faster, and just works without a lot of overhead. Licensing is one concern. Also, hitching your ride to one pony isn't wise when there may be another choice that is better down the road.

You are so true, also the LAV driver on the freaking main page download worked like a charm, freaking noob mistakes, I hate myself sometimes, rushing in trying to get things done and just making a mess for myself. All is good now! Some times a noob just needs a slap ;) Cheers!