All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Pinballx 2.50 unresponsive after demo cycle mode

rlewis19

Hi,

I just recently upgraded to PinballX 2.50.  I walked away from the cabinet for about 10 minutes.  I could hear pinballx cycling through the different tables because I could hear the different table sound samples.  Once I walked up to the pinballx, I noticed it was not responding to any keypresses.   If I hit alt-tab and select X to close, it says PinballX has stopped responding.  I chose close anyway and noticed the Windows 10 start bar was gone as well.  The only way I could get things back was a cabinet reboot.  I'd like to try PinballX 2.42 to see if the problem is there as well, but I can't find where to download an older version.

9 hours ago, rlewis19 said:

I'd like to try PinballX 2.42 to see if the problem is there as well, but I can't find where to download an older version.

We do not keep older deprecated copies in the Repository.  Let's try to troubleshoot the version you have installed. Can you please attach copies of your pinballx.ini and log.txt files in reply to this thread for the team and members to review? If you need help finding them, click on the PinballX - How to ask for help link in my signature. Thanks.

Sure.  I'll do that after this weekend.  For what it's worth, I found my older copy of the 2.42 setup.  After downgrading to 2.42, the problem went away. 

I'll be glad to capture whatever is needed to help.  Happy New Year!

While waiting for company to arrive, I left the table in demo mode using 2.42 pinballx.  I'd say it was in demo mode for around half an hour and the unresponsiveness problem showed itself.  So it appears it's not something introduced in 2.50.

Ok.  I upgraded to 2.50.  I started Pinballx and let it cycle for about half an hour.  Then, I picked a game to play and it was fine at this point.  I played for a bit then exited back to Pinballx..  I walked away for over an hour.  I could hear the table audio cycling through every few minutes or so.  I went back to try to select a game to play and it was locked up.  It would not respond to the left or right buttons.  I had to ctrl-alt-delete to get the task manager and kill it that way.  After it exited, the Windows start bar was gone from the bottom of the screen.

Attached are the pinballx.ini and log file from the session.

log_20180101_1.txt

PinballX.ini

Not seeing anything I can work with so taking a stab. Do you have only the LAV codecs installed? If not, please uninstall any other codecs packages (i.e. Shark007, CCCP, etc.) and install the latest LAV filters here .

You may also want to take a look at some of the suggestions for similar issues experienced by a few of our other users...

It may also be an issue with one or more videos, which will be a little bit dicey and time-consuming to narrow down. Having all videos in the same format may help if they are not already.

10 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Not seeing anything I can work with so taking a stab. Do you have only the LAV codecs installed? If not, please uninstall any other codecs packages (i.e. Shark007, CCCP, etc.) and install the latest LAV filters here .

You may also want to take a look at some of the suggestions for similar issues experienced by a few of our other users...

It may also be an issue with one or more videos, which will be a little bit dicey and time-consuming to narrow down. Having all videos in the same format may help if they are not already.

I don't think I have any codecs explicitly installed other than LAV Filters 0.68.1  However, I'll uninstall them and install using the link you referenced above.  Also, my pinballx doesn't play any videos with the exception of the animation of the DMD window supplied by the pinballx software.  The only media my pinballx has configured is table audio in mp3 format and also content in the Ambiance folder.  I'll report back once I try pinballx with the updated LAV filters.

Have you tried installing VP in a folder in c:\Visual Pinball instead of  C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Pinball? 9 times out of 10 when we see some intermittent issues it is due to some write process in what is otherwise considered an elevated protection location such as C:\Program Files (x86) or c:\users or even c:\windows.

Also, you may want to try turning off the DMD animation as suggested by Outhere.

1 hour ago, Draco1962 said:

Have you tried installing VP in a folder in c:\Visual Pinball instead of  C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Pinball? 9 times out of 10 when we see some intermittent issues it is due to some write process in what is otherwise considered an elevated protection location such as C:\Program Files (x86) or c:\users or even c:\windows.

Also, you may want to try turning off the DMD animation as suggested by Outhere.

I've turned off the DMD display by updating the settings and changed 'DMD Enabled' to No.  I'm assuming that's the way you meant.  I also disabled/removed the ROM entries in the media xml file.  As for moving the VP folder, I should mention I've had VP in c:\Program Files (x86)\... for a few years and haven't had this problem before.  I also made sure pinballx.exe is set to run as administrator.  I'd rather avoid moving all the tables and roms and such.

Isn't there some way to get additional info into the log?  When it locks up, it sends info to Microsoft...is there some way to see what that info is?

1 hour ago, Draco1962 said:

Not sure how you are determining that PinballX is sending anything to Microsoft. 

You can search the Event Viewer to see if there is anything OS related.

When the problem happens, I'm still able to alt-tab to any active windows.  When I click on the Pinballx window I'm presented with the dialog box that says basically "PinballX is unresponsive.  Close the program or Wait for program to respond.'.  If I select close the program, which is the only option that does anything, I get another dialog box that says something like "sending information to microsoft for analysis'.  One that dialog exits, I'm left with a desktop that is missing the start bar at the bottom.  The top half of desktop icons are still there but not the bottom part.

I'd be more than happy to run a version of pinballx to capture more information if you want.   One use case I have to try is starting pinballx but not selecting any tables to play.  I'm curious if the demo mode at that point won't cause the lockup. 

2 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

There should be a corresponding report in the Event Viewer, likely under the Applications section. Look for it at about the same time you see that error prompt.

I found it. Thank you!  I'm attaching two screen prints here.  By the way, I also found a few video files I missed removing.  Will do more tests today.

Pinballx_20180106.png

pinballx_20180106_2.png

Well...I'm out of ideas.  I removed all video files I could find.  I reinstalled Visual Pinball into c:\Visual Pinball.  I started Pinballx and left it alone and the problem showed up again.  Where do I go from here?

For what it's worth, I located an older version (2.36) of pinballx.  I'm surprised to report that it too had the same problem.  I'm trying to figure out what changed in my cab to cause the launcher to have these issues.  The only thing that pops to mind is my Windows 10 cab received the creators update.  I'm hoping Tom sees this thread and can offer some words of wisdom.

To summarize what I did to try to eliminate the problem:

• Turned off DMD video
  • Turned off/removed all table videos
  • Turned off/removed all backglass videos
  • Removed ROM DMD displays
  • Installed the newest codecs
  • Moved Visual Pinball out of c:\program files (x86) to c:\Visual Pinball
  • Reverted to version 2.42
  • Reverted to version 2.36
  • Removed all audio media folders

I'm happy to say this problem has been solved!!  It was suggested I look under the power settings for the usb suspend setting.  It turned out that usb suspend was set to enabled.  I disabled it and the problem went away!!