All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

SEGA Saturn Cracked, Better emulation coming soon!

RIP-Felix

I didn't watch the video, because it looks like something I've already seen from the screenshot.  Isn't that the guy who essentially developed a way to load games via a hard drive rather than a disk?  Basically an ODE (Optical Drive Emulator).  If so, that's old news, and nothing has really come of it last I checked.  He is the only holder of the software and custom made hardware interface, and it would still require a Saturn to work.  It's basically a step towards a mod-chip for the Saturn to allow playing games without owning the physical disks.

You should watch the video.

Yes he did make a chip that plugs into the expansion port, but figured out exactly how the CD sub-system worked (2:30). Essentially there is a CPU that controls that system and he was able to dump it's rom. No one was able to do this previously. Saturn is particularly hard because of the way it works and emulation efforts in the past were a trial/error process. This contribution to the available information will allow emulator devs to make cycle accurate emulation. He only started the project in 2013 and recently finished (like in the last year or two). He is getting close to releasing prototype boards that will allow you to load roms on your Saturn. However, he has been sharing his findings with emulator devs, who should be releasing updates with real improvements as they figure out how to implement these findings in software (19:16)!

So I think this is news, at least it was to me.