All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] GameEx crashing when trying to scroll lists of games

ibuiltanarcade

I am having some major stability issues with scrolling the game lists in GameEx.  I can't find a version list online to give the exact version numbers, but I know exactly when the issues started.  The issue I am facing is that when I try to scroll though any game list (Mame, NES, SNES, etc) GameEx completely locks up.  Sometimes it will let me scroll until I find a game, sometimes it locks up after one or two games.  Most of the time it takes a Ctrl+Alt+Delete to end the Gameex.exe process and restart.  A few times I have actually received a GameEx error screen with output.  I will attach the file to this post.  

The error message talks about corrupt memory and a DirectX error.  I have throughly tested the equipment and cannot find any errors.  dxdiag.exe show DirectX to have no issues. I've repaired .NET framework, updated all video drivers, ran Memtest against the RAM, and chkdsk against the hard drives.

It seems that there was an update where it started showing icon files (.ico) next to the games and playing sounds.  That's when I started noticing the lockups.  I thought it was probably a bug in the update and I would wait for the next update.  It updated again sometime in late October/November and the problem remained.  There was another update around December 15th and it seems to be worse.

I've thoroughly tested the computer and feel it is not the computer. I've also performed all of the suggestions in the GameEx error message.  Hopefully someone can provide some help.

Computer specs:
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Intel Core i5
12gb ram
NvidiaGeForce GTX 960
C: drive - SSD contains OS and GameEx
D: drive - 7200RPM drive contains everything else (games, emulators, etc)

Timeline of when issue started (I'll fill in versions if someone has them):
1. Last stable version
     --> Update (Noticed a few lockups. Icons and sounds started appearing beside game titles)
     --> Second Update (Lockups persist) (I think version 15.06)
     --> Third update mid-December to GameEx version 15.08 (Lockups persist) 

GameEx.ini

gameex_error.txt

On the version before last I did manually download and install.  I just downloaded 15.08 and installed over the top.  It still locks up.  I started GameEx, scrolled to Favorites.  When I press the joystick down to start moving it locked up on the second favorite and threw up the GameEx error message screen.  I went back in, chose MAME.  It dislpays the games when I started scrolling down it went about 5 games then locked up.

I'm not sure if I'm using LAV codecs.  How can I tell?

I applied the LAV codecs to the machine and it looks like that solved the problem.  I am able to successfully scroll through the lists without locking up.

I left the LAV codec at the default configuration.  Are there any tweaks that need to be done?  Or are the default settings sufficient?

45 minutes ago, ibuiltanarcade said:

I applied the LAV codecs to the machine and it looks like that solved the problem.  I am able to successfully scroll through the lists without locking up.

I left the LAV codec at the default configuration.  Are there any tweaks that need to be done?  Or are the default settings sufficient?

Default should be just fine. That is what I run. Glad you got this sorted out!

• Draco1962 changed the title to [RESOLVED] GameEx crashing when trying to scroll lists of games
  • Draco1962 locked this topic