All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Can't get PinDMD3 to work with PinballX

ro2013

• 6 months later...

I have a PinDMDV3 and everything is working fine for me so sounds like a DLL issue.     Try renaming the PinDMD.Dll so it is not used and make sure you are using dmddevice.dll with the .ini file set.   

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2018 at 11:09 AM, GAH1068 said:

I have a PinDMDV3 and everything is working fine for me so sounds like a DLL issue.     Try renaming the PinDMD.Dll so it is not used and make sure you are using dmddevice.dll with the .ini file set.   

can you describe date and size of xdmd.dll, xdmnative.dll, dmdvevide.dll you are using ? This is a lingering issue I have with pinballx. Best I get now is the DMD works in PBX at boot, but never again after I launch a table. The Pindmdv3 works well with a variety of emulators and drivers: VPx/9 with dmddevice.dll from freezy, UltraDMD,  FX2/3 with dmdext, etc. There seems to be a dll that fails to load when exiting the emulators. Logs do not even show an attempt to start the external DMD.

@Pablo Smiraglia - see below.   I just took this from my system a few moments ago.     I have the generic pinballX video running on my PinDMDV3 when I am in Pinballx.  I have never got around to doing dmd videos for the games, it is pretty low priority for me.       I have no issues either running dmdext.exe (FX3, PBA, Timeshock, Pinball Wicked) or using the built-in DMDDevice.Dll for VP9 and VPX tables.

In PinballX Game manager make sure to check Disable DMD for the games otherwise your will get the issue you are reporting.  Up until a few versions ago that check mark really didn't appear to do anything.   Now, unless I check it in game manager the PinballX default DMD would be displayed and then the in-game one would not work.   This might be your problem.

PinballX Directory:

XDMD.DLL      5/23/18 8:27PM
XDMDNative.DLL     5/23/18 8:27PM
PinDMD.DLL     1/20/16 8:40AM

PinDMD.Ini
==========
[communication]
debug=0
comport=COM3

[pinmame]
log_frames=0

DMDExt 1.71 installed in my VPinMame directory (C:\Pinball\Visual Pinball\VpinMame), I also make sure it is my Path so there is only a single copy of it installed.   Primarily this is done
for PinUp-Player.

DmdDevice.Dll    7/13/18 9:16PM
DMDExt.Exe        7/13/18 9:14PM

DmdExt.Ini
----------
[global]
; how to downscale SEGA 192x64 pixel games to smaller displays: fit, fill or stretch
resize = fit
; flips the image horizontally
fliphorizontally = false
; flips the image vertically
flipvertically = false
; enable or disable frame-by-frame colorization (inactive in VPX bundle)
colorize = true

; a DMD that renders with nice dots on a computer monitor
[virtualdmd]
enabled = false
; virtual dmd stays on top of all other windows
stayontop = false
; hide the resize grip
hidegrip = false
; ignore the aspect ratio of the rendered dots when resizing
ignorear = false
; use VPM's registry values when positioning the virtual dmd
useregistry = false
; x-axis of the window position
left = 0          
; y-axis of the window position
top = 0           
; width of the dmd in monitor pixels
width = 1024      
; height of the dmd in monitor pixels
height = 256      
; scale the dot size (set to 0.8 for same size as pre-1.6.0)
dotsize = 1.0

[pindmd1]
; if false, doesn't bother looking for a pinDMD1
enabled = false

[pindmd2]
; if false, doesn't bother looking for a pinDMD2
enabled = false

[pindmd3]
; if false, doesn't bother looking for a pinDMD3
enabled = true    
; COM port, e.g. COM3
port = COM3

[pin2dmd]
; if false, doesn't bother looking for a PIN2DMD
enabled = false

[browserstream]
; if enabled, stream to your browser in your LAN
enabled = false
port = 9090

[vpdbstream]
; if enabled, stream DMD to https://test.vpdb.io/live
enabled = false 
endpoint = https://api-test.vpdb.io/

[video]
; if enabled, writes frames to an .avi file
enabled = false   
; path to folder or .avi file. if folder, gamename.avi is used.
path =

[pinup]
; if enabled, send frames to PinUP.
enabled = true

2 hours ago, GAH1068 said:

@Pablo Smiraglia - see below.   I just took this from my system a few moments ago.     I have the generic pinballX video running on my PinDMDV3 when I am in Pinballx.  I have never got around to doing dmd videos for the games, it is pretty low priority for me.       I have no issues either running dmdext.exe (FX3, PBA, Timeshock, Pinball Wicked) or using the built-in DMDDevice.Dll for VP9 and VPX tables.

In PinballX Game manager make sure to check Disable DMD for the games otherwise your will get the issue you are reporting.  Up until a few versions ago that check mark really didn't appear to do anything.   Now, unless I check it in game manager the PinballX default DMD would be displayed and then the in-game one would not work.   This might be your problem.

Thank you for this. I need to ask though, do you use *any* videos or images in Pinballx ? I realize your DMD is working on VP, FX3, etc. (so does mine). My problem is with images and video when in the front end.

from the files you list, you are using pindmd and not dmddevice when in pinballx.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have an odd issue that just came about that is similar but also different with the recent PinballX release. Using PinDMDv3 I have real DMD previews but when I launch Pinball Arcade dmdext crashes so DMD doesn’t work in game. If I boot Pinball Arcade outside of PinballX with dmdext works like a charm. Seems to be an issue specifically with PinballX and DMD previews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same issue as above. Shows default Pinballx video on dmd, and continues to run after I launch a table. No issues running tables with DMD outside of PinballX.

Also, DMD for Pinball FX3 works on 95% of the tables. I have no idea what's up with that either.

same issue as Goggles.  If I rename pindmd.dll then the table dmd works.  if I dont, I returns a pindmdv3 not found error or thew pinballx videos stays playing.  Terrible.,  Been trying to fix this for 6 weeks.

A member...
image.png.84f2b72d5aad2137788cda8ac45fcefe.png

Got it haha! Yeah I see it now. Unfortunately following his above instructions didn’t solve my issue. For me I had to disable DMD previews (by renaming the .dll) for Pinball Arcade to start working again. Such a bummer but oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solved.  Damn Game manger for Pinball X stinks.  You have to check HIDE DMD for EACH TABLE for the DMD to show.  Makes no damn sense.

If you want the PINBALL X dmd to stay for tables that dont have a dmd, leave it Unchecked.   Terrible support and  design of the game manager.

1 hour ago, emalave said:

Solved.  Damn Game manger for Pinball X stinks.  You have to check HIDE DMD for EACH TABLE for the DMD to show.  Makes no damn sense.

If you want the PINBALL X dmd to stay for tables that dont have a dmd, leave it Unchecked.   Terrible support and  design of the game manager.

It may not make sense to the uninitiated but after using it for a while it does make sense. In other words, you are telling PinballX NOT to display a default or game named DMD file and allow for the program (PinMAME, etc.) to load the DMD instead (hence the NO selection required in Game Manager).

While I agree that Game Manager isn't going to be all things to all people, it isn't that bad. I admittedly prefer to load my XML files into Notepad++ for editing/adding/deleting tables.

As for you comment about terrible support, I will strongly disagree with you. Support here is mostly member driven with the experienced members helping those that are new to fold.  The author takes supporting his product seriously but can't be on call 24/7 for what he created to support a hobby - not a source of income.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1