All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Exiting dosbox back into gamex

dschulpius

I have everything working pretty well. I have custom made batch files that's launch my dos based games played through dosbox. I can watch these games and play them by either clicking on the batch file or launching them with the batch file through Gamex. The problem comes when I launch with Gamex, play the game and then close dosbox after I'm done with the game. The command exit dosbox is Alt - F9 and works just as well to shut down this program. However all I get is a black screen where Gamex  should reappear. I tried the "Show Desktop" option in the advanced emulators section but all I get is look at the desktop when dosbox closes. Gamex still won't reappear even though it's the program that launched dosbox.

What command in Gamex do you guys use to close the last box after being launched by Gamex and where do I put it?

Liking "The Robot" avatar! One of my favorite sci-fi robots ever.

Generally, if the application does not close cleanly, you may need to create a batch file and point to it in the "launch after" setting within Advanced Emulator Setup. In the batch file you will need send a command line option such as Taskkill:

taskkill /f /im PROGRAM NAME or PROCESS NAME

The main thing will be identifying what other process is open and not allowing GameEx to regain focus. There may be other solutions out there you may prefer and I am open to suggestions.

This is wonderful and I'm sure it is the answer. But........... After studying up on the way to do this (very easy to make this .bat file BTW) I started up the computer to reproduce the issue and find the program causing Gamex not to regain focus. Oddly everything seems to be working now with no changes made by me. I can launch DosBox and the Dos game with a .bat file, play the game, Exit DosBox using Ctrl - F9 (Sorry, the reference in my first post to Alt - F9 was wrong) and Gamex will regain focus just fine. Ya!! I have no idea what changed other then turning off the computer over night. Gamex also auto updated but I doubt that was the fix (or was it??).

At any rate, thanks for the support. 

Ya, the B9 robot is my fav also. Awesome design and personality. I wish there were video games of Lost in Space. I actually built a fill size and totally prop accurate B9 that is automated. If interested look on YouTube using my name David Schulpius. I have over 50 videos there of my build process. You can see my Mame rig standing right next to him. Enjoy and thanks again!

One of my favorite Lost in Space episodes was "War of the Robots" where B9 is confronted by Robby of "Forbidden Planet" fame. If I am correct,, weren't both designed by the same person? I saw some of your videos and you are my new hero!

P.S. Have you created the "Crush! Kill! DESTROY" routine for him yet?

Thanks for your very kind compliment. I've been working on my B9 robot build for over 5 years now.

You're correct,  Robert Kinoshita designed both Robby and B9. Very cool and dark Art Deco stylings from that era in my opinion. I love the lines and angles these two robots have. 

Actually if I'm not mistaken (and I'm showing my nearddneyness here), the Kill, Crush, Destroy skit was done by a visiting android to the Robinson's planet. The guy was dressed kinda like Superman with a silver face and helmet and an IDAK sign over his chest. Season 2 Ep 24 " Revolt of the Androids. However I did script and code a "Warning, Warning Will Robinson" skit with my B9 Robot and have a video of it on the YouTube channel I mentioned above. Arms flailing and everything. LOL. What a hoot.

OK, this was way off subject. Very sorry to the other forum members and Admin. Have a great weekend!!!

Ya your right! That scene scared the crap out of my 8 year old self back then. There was something about a berserk robot trying to kill everyone on an already crippled and lost spaceship. ;-)