All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Gameex and mame INI files...issue loading custom configurations

laggerific

I'm running the latest Gameex, and I'm trying to get HLSL working...but while it works when running MAME directly, when launching a MAME game from Gameex, it is not invoked. 

The HLSL configuration is currently in the /ini directory of the mame I have configured within gameex in the mame.ini file.

I'm sure the issue is super basic, but not sure how gameex handles the mame.ini file.

Thank you.

Would you mind attaching your gameex.ini and log.txt files in reply to this thread? Your mame.ini files as well. Helps us to see what's going on and how you have things configured without trying to second-guess your setup. Thanks.

On 11/22/2017 at 6:57 PM, laggerific said:

I'm running the latest Gameex, and I'm trying to get HLSL working...but while it works when running MAME directly, when launching a MAME game from Gameex, it is not invoked. 

The HLSL configuration is currently in the /ini directory of the mame I have configured within gameex in the mame.ini file.

I'm sure the issue is super basic, but not sure how gameex handles the mame.ini file.

Thank you.

In the GameEX setup wizard there's a section called MameOptions where GameEX will send command line parameters to MAME upon launching. As of right now you seem to be sending:

MameOptions=-nowindow -joy -skip_gameinfo -readconfig

I would try removing all of that then fire up GameEX and give a random game a run to see if that fixes your issue.

If it does not then I would have to recommend getting the latest official binary from mamedev.org (baseline, command line version), and setting that up to your GameEX rather than using a MAMEUI. Many many bugfixes have been applied to critical things like UI handling and such, so it's critical that people update the build that they use.

Since GameEX is your UI so to speak it's not necessary to use MAMEUI when you can use a more stable official release build. It helps to know your way around the mame.ini and simply set what you want there rather than trying to do it through clunky MAMEUI tabs.

Thanks...it looks like using the proper Mame build fixed that issue, as I'm now getting the glsl configs in attract and normal usage.

Is there a way to get the artwork to show when in attract mode?  I have a 49" display on my cab, and HLSL looks great when the screens are smaller, sitting inside uncropped bezel, but at full screen HLSL looks far less nice.

Thanks for the help...greatly appreciate it.

4 hours ago, laggerific said:

Thanks...it looks like using the proper Mame build fixed that issue, as I'm now getting the glsl configs in attract and normal usage.

Is there a way to get the artwork to show when in attract mode?  I have a 49" display on my cab, and HLSL looks great when the screens are smaller, sitting inside uncropped bezel, but at full screen HLSL looks far less nice.

Thanks for the help...greatly appreciate it.

I don't like using the artwork and have it turned off the majority of the time.

Be sure you're using video d3d with hlsl enabled. I'll attach my ini folder to this post with settings I really enjoy. ini.zip

A big display shouldn't matter as long as you're keeping proper aspect ratio and not stretching to fill the entire screen.

mame.ini

ini.zip

8 hours ago, B2K24 said:

I don't like using the artwork and have it turned off the majority of the time.

Be sure you're using video d3d with hlsl enabled. I'll attach my ini folder to this post with settings I really enjoy. ini.zip

A big display shouldn't matter as long as you're keeping proper aspect ratio and not stretching to fill the entire screen.

mame.ini

ini.zip

At some point, would you mind posting an HLSL setup thread with your recommended settings for the different aspect ratios, suggested do's and don'ts,  examples as posted here, GameEx command line, etc.?

These questions come up frequently and it would be great to have it stickied for reference.

• Like 1