All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Nintendo 64 Games wont load - Project 64

dschulpius

Hi all, 

I'm back for more help. Kinda embarrassing, sorry.

I cant get any Nintendo 64 Games to load in Project 64 when launched through Gamex. They load and I can play them directly in Project 64. However When I launch them through Gamex I get a pause, then a Windows error message box that says "Cant Load" (or something like that. I have the "Show Desktop" potion turned to Yes in Gamex's Advanced Emulator section). Oddly when I click on the OK box in this error message the box goes away and Project 64 is active, I can then navigate with the mouse pointer, select a game and play it. Then when I close Project 64, Gamex appears again just like I would expect when I would have stopped a game. 

I'm using the latest Project 64 version 2.3 but I see the same issue with all older versions I've tried. Must be a siting I'm missing. 

Here's my Gamex files, Thanks in advance for any help:

GameEx.ini

log.txt

Try changing your command line to read Command=Project64.exe "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" instead of Command=Project64.exe [ROMPath]\[RomFile] (recall that link to the map, config and command lines I showed you yesterday? B)

Cool, I'll try it. I did look through that link but I must have missed that one. I did see a config with the command line I am using. 

Thanks. I guess I need to read better. There's so much info to go through. LOL 

@dschulpius Now that you have corrected your command line to Project64.exe "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]", could you run another N64 game through GameEx and then post the resulting log.txt and runitgame.bat file. runitgame.bat can be found in the GameEx\DATA directory.

Also, I notice your roms are zipped. I am not sure if it will matter, but if you open the zip file for the game you ran, does it contain one rom or multiple roms?

1 hour ago, dschulpius said:

OK, I've done as asked. The files requested are attached. 

Actually my roms are not zipped. They all have the .v64 extension. Could this be the problem? I may have some setting wrong?

Well, the log and runitgame.bat shows the command line as this:

Project64.exe "E:\Emulators\Project64 2.3\roms\007 - GoldenEye (USA).zip"

Recheck your Advanced Emulator Config in GameEx and make sure Zip/7-zip/GoodMerge/RAR is set to NO. Not sure if that is the culprit, but it's worth checking.

That's odd. They are defiantly not zipped or in folders. There was no setting set in the Advanced Emulator Config so I set that to No. I rebooted and started another game with the same result. Upon reviewing the two files again I still see a .zip behind the files I launch. 

I'm at a loss. Thanks for the advice though.

OK, I think I got it.

I notice that you have your Map or SW List File for n64 pointed at GameEx\MAP FILES\[Console] Nintendo 64 - USA.map. In that mapfile, all the roms are listed as zipped. GameEx is pulling the file name of the game from it.

Honestly, I never knew for certain why those mapfiles are there. I always thought they might be examples, but I really don't know...but, you do have to tailor a mapfile to your set. For example, if a game is listed in the mapfile that you do not have or is not spelled exactly the same as the rom file name, it will still show up in the GameEx list of games, but the game will not run.

My suggestion is to clear the path from Map or SW List File and then go one screen back and at the bottom of the page set the Database to [Console] Nintendo 64. See how that looks and works.

• Like 1

AH ha! That makes perfect sense! I'll give that a try this morning and let you know.

I'm deep in the learning curve with figuring out  what all the settings and files are for and how they work with each other. Thanks for the guidance. Is there a tutorial somewhere on the best way to set up Gamex using map and dat files and how to tailor these files to my sets? I've looked through all the guides and FAQ's and have found scattered guidance. 

Thanks again!!

YES! That did it! All is launching and running with N64 now. The incorrect Map file I was pointing to was the problem. 

Thanks once more!! Now I'm going to engage in a little 007 action!!

• Like 1