All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] NeoGeo Game Names Not Displaying

Shumaker72

I'm running WinKawaks through GameEx to run all of my NeoGeo roms. Works perfectly except for the fact that all the games display in GameEx as their "filename".  Example "Baseball Stars 2" displays in GameEx as "bstars2".  No screen shots, videos, etc show up either.  I don't have this issue with any other emulators I run. Before anyone simply suggests why don't I just run the roms through Mame, well I'm running an old Rom set through Mame(.119) and the NeoGeo Roms in here are all very small when they load up. By small I mean there's a very large bezel and the game displays in the middle about the size of a Gameboy screen. Yes, all the screen shots, videos, etc are present here and the titles all show up, but how to I get them to show up when I run the roms through WinKawaks?

I've toyed around with the setup and I cannot get this to change.  In setup, the Database reads [Arcade] Arcade (WinKawaks), but this is still not solving the issue. I've attached this file below.  I keep reading stuff about .map files, but I cannot find 1 map file anywhere on my hard drive. Is this the problem?

[Arcade] Arcade (WinKawaks).ini

Well one thing I've noticed while digging around is once I'm inside the "Assets" folder which is in the "Emulation" folder, I have a Mame, Sega Genesis, Nintendo Snes and Arcade folders. When I go into the Arcade folder there is another folder called Winkawaks. Once I click on that I see all the sub folders like boxes, cartridges, controls, snaps, etc, but all of them are empty except for the Snaps folder which has 5 snaps. There is a folder named "Not Found" here which is filled with every other Rom title I have(example: aof.notf, bstars.notf,etc).  On the other hand, my other folders for Mame, Sega, etc are filled with snaps,boxes etc.  I'm assuming the winkawaks folder should be updating like the other emulators do? If you need to see another .ini file or something let me know.  I don't think it has anything to do with my rom names as I have 3 different sets and have the same issue with all of them(I checked and the rom titles all match the rom titles in my mame set which work). 

Hey Shumaker,

The mapfile will help you display the game names properly (which is what your original post asked about), but only that. It won't help you with any of that other stuff. Since the WinKawaks database has not been developed, GameEx cannot use it to automatically populate data or download assets.  You will probably want to go in a different direction for that solution and it may require some manual work as well. There are a few ways you can go about it though.

Please do us a favor and post your GameEx.ini file from your CONFIG folder so we can see what your current setup looks like.

Mark this one as resolved. You guys give good hints that send me on the right path.  I simply went into the Gameex Advanced Emulator Setup and changed the Map directory to the correct path and that solved it. Apparently it was setup for the wrong directory this whole time and I never even noticed the option was there.

Side note to RedDog: Thanks for the tips. I was able to redirect everything over to my Mame folders and now I have video's, logos, etc. 

• Like 1