All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

mame, binding keyboard keys to gamepad.

rweth

All I am working with the old starwars rom (1983 atari edition)

I have the newest MAME, MAMEPLUS, and v.174 (64bit + NoNag + Hi-score + Forced Directinput)

I am trying to get the Microsoft sidewinder dual strike to work with this game with and any all of them and so the first thing I got was xpadder and mapped some buttons for

•     the mouse left click and the mouse right click (since I don't have nor want XP and that controller is part of another project not nativley supported by MS anymore)
  •     the numeric digit 5
  •     mouse x & y axis

The mouse input  works for moving the cursor works fine .. but the keyboard not so much.

I cannot get any keyboard action and I have tried a number of crazy uninformed stuff for about 2 hours. ( read data suggests direct input is the solution, but not empirically sadly)

I thought I cracked the case with:

c:\mameplus>mamep.exe -contrast 2.0 starwars
Assign joystick SideWinder Dual Strike USB version 1.0 to player 0

Because it said it assigned the joystick .. but NO. Also this silly thing

"-keyboardprovider dinput"    ... -mouse .. and sorta everything but the kitchen sink .. NOTHING. The really weird thing is one of the buttons (the D whatever that is) is mapped to none but generates a

mouse click. How could I begin to either read up on or get the keyboard input to this game. Frankly the control input for the game map via tab is a absolute mystery to me .. no idea how one navigates through this. Anyway yes complete nube any and all help appreciated.

Ok I think I got it .. sometimes you just need a break. So I used the mame v.174 (64bit + NoNag + Hi-score + Forced Directinput)

with the following:  > mame64.exe -contrast 2.0 -keyboardprovider dinput starwars

The mapping of keys suddenly started to work. One semi dumb thing was thinking the left | right mouse click triggered the laser from teh starwars rom .. it doesn't. Its the space-bar .. so when I mapped that to my fore control using xpadder things seem much brigther.

Im thinking this is resolved. Must say I really love MAME and look forward to many happy hours of fruitless digital activity!