All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Pinballfx3 and video backglass still not working with dmdext

Cue777

I tried to post in my other thread and couldnt because it was closed.

I got the video backglass to keep playing in pinballfx3 when loaded from pinballx by changing the setting in pinballfx3 to windowed instead of full screen. Now when I run dmdext to get the dmd to my real dmd, it flickers badly. Basically if I have the setting in pinballfx3 set to windowed, the real dmd flickers and if I put it to full screen, the backglass videos wont keep playing but the dmd looks ok.

Enclosed are my log and ini files.

log.txt

PinballX.ini

Apologies if you have done this but have you tried launching dmdext direct, start a backglass video on the backglass monitor and then run FX3 via Steam. Does the flickering stop? We can then tell if a system problem or a PinballX timing problem. Could be codec related (of which I do not have much knowledge of).

Once someone reports that their issue is fixed, we close the thread. Same goes for old threads that have had no response over a period of time. This keeps obsolete threads from being bumped or rekindled and forces the users to submit a new thread for issues that are impacting the most current version of the software.

Additionally, had you posted in that thread about your DMDext issue, I would have split it into a separate thread as it would not be quite the same issue.

dmdext mirror --source=pinballfx3 --no-virtual -quit-when-done

Is the command I am using, I am running it directly for now each time I test it. Im not sure how to start a BG video and then launch fx3 as it will take control of the backglass when it loads wont it?

I didnt have the dmdext issue until the backglass video started playing from the "fix" so it is a follow up to my original post.

download auto hotkey

use this script

dmdext_Path=c:\dmdext
Run, %dmdext_Path%\dmdext.exe mirror --source=pinballfx3 --destination=pin2dmd --no-virtual -q,, Hide
exitapp

and set the executable up to launch before in your pbx pbfx3 settings, change you destination to whatever dmd you have.

LaunchBeforeWaitForExit=True

Create another ahk file, use this script

Process, Close, dmdext.exe
sleep, 1000
Process, Close, dmdext.exe
exitapp

set the executable up to launch this after in your pbx pbfx3 settings

LaunchBeforeWaitForExit=True

WaitFor=20

This will launch the app before and kill it afterwards, sometimes dmdext wont kill and multiple instances are left open.

Also, i'm using borderless windowed, not windowed, that might help as well.

I couldn't get it to work at all, this is what the script I made says exactly. It also doesnt work if I type it directly into the command prompt, it just shows a list of commands available, im sure I have something typed wrong.

Run, c:\dmdext.exe mirror --source=pinballfx3 --PinDMD3 --no-virtual -q,, Hide
exitapp

Run, %dmdext_Path%\dmdext.exe mirror --source=pinballfx3 --destination=pindmd3 --no-virtual -q,, Hide
exitapp

This is autohotkey, did you download the program open a .txt file, copy this into it, save it as .ahk, then right click to compile it to create a .exe?

Then set it as a launch before in your pBFX3 settings in pinball x.

Is dmd ext in your root c:drive?

Yes, I did that with this exact text

Run, c:\dmdext.exe mirror --source=pinballfx3 --destination=PinDMD3 --no-virtual -q,, Hide
exitapp

dmdext is in my c drive. My dmd doesnt do anything when that is run. It runs if I remove the --destination=pindmd3 wording, but its the same flickering as just typing the commands in the command prompt.

If I use exactly what you typed it says file not found

Run, %dmdext_Path%\dmdext.exe mirror --source=pinballfx3 --destination=pindmd3 --no-virtual -q,, Hide exitapp

you might want to start by reading the documentation on the dmdext site, understanding the plug-in will help you solve your problem, its how i solved my issue with the conflict.

https://github.com/freezy/dmd-extensions

Your problem has already been solved.

Flickering with PinDMDv3

Some users reported heavy flickering when running via PinballX. Seems that this is linked to the desktop settings. This seems to help:

• Go to My Computer
  • Click on Performance Information and Tools on the bottom left
  • Click on Adjust Visual Effects at the top left.
  • When the Performance Window pops up, click on Adjust for Best Appearance. All the boxes should automatically get check marked.
  • Click on Apply, and then OK to get out.

Thanks to xman72!

Still flickering?

Try boosting how fast dmdext grabs the frames. For example, for Pinball FX2, try:

dmdext mirror --source=pinballfx2 --no-virtual -q --fps 60

Default is 25, which seems too slow for some games.

Thanks smoke007 for the tip!

also a few clarifications

it's either -d or --destination and your dmd is 

pindmdv3

format was found here on the site

-d, --destination        The destination where the DMD data is sent to. One
                           of: [ auto, pindmdv1, pindmdv2, pindmdv3, pin2dmd,
                           virtual ]. Default: "auto", which outputs to all
                           available devices.

to confirm the dmdext folder is in your c:/drive root correct, not just the .exe?

Did you unblock the .exe and all of your .dll's in the dmdext folder.?

If none of these tips work, you might post the issue on freezys bug site, he does respond and help you out.

I do not have a dmdext folder, I have the dmdext.exe and the log file in my c drive, that is what I understood from reading the directions is what I need as the other files are for vpinmame which I am not using? I am only using it for fx3. 

I have read them over and over and I could be missing something but I dont think so? There is also another issue listed on the giutuhub site with the same problem that hasnt been fixed. freezy also replied to my posts on another board but obviously it isnt working yet.

https://github.com/freezy/dmd-extensions/issues/43

Yes the file is unblocked and I have done the 2 things listed on the github site that were supposed to help with flickering, they didnt fix it.

It works fine by typing it into the command prompt, or in the script, just without the destination wording, but it flickers?

And it only flickers if the setting inside pinballfx3 is set to windowed, if it is set to full screen then the dmd works fine, its just the backglass video wont stay playing.

Your DMDext files should be within the DMDext folder on the root of c: (in other words - c:\DMDext). That is why you are seeing the error "file not found" when the command line in the AHK file is looking for them in dmdext_Path=c:\dmdext. 

I didnt miss it I have tried all 3 options.

Moving the dmdext to a folder fixed the script running issue but that is not my issue and didnt fix anything, the issue is getting the dmd to display, and not flicker, when the windowed option is selected. If I select the full screen option in pinballfx3 then the DMD will work but there will be no backglass video, if I select windowed or borderless windowed, the backglass video will play but the DMD will not work.