All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Played some more over the weekend.  I got passed Bebop finally with barely any health remaining.  Bebop requires stick and move and you need to make sure you have plenty of health when you go against him which means killing the first boss Rocksteady without dying which is very tough.  Need to practice some more against Bebop and I might be able to get an even better score.  Will see :)

IMG_3323.JPG

• Like 1

It's vacation time.  Hopefully I'll manage to get some game time in this week.  My plans were to do so, but my "home work" is pretty booked.  I've got a seedbox that's over quota which means I have a lot of technical house cleaning to do.  I'm also working on trying to improve my NesPi by installing updates to the software, which inevitably means it broke everything.  At least I'm more comfortable now with trying to figure it out, vs a couple years ago.

Good score @forest4585, you're looking like the champ so far!

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Dang.  I should play this game, given that I think I suggested it in the first place.

Bummer that TwinGalaxies doesn't use the "tmnt2po" version of the ROM.  Not being able to (easily) play as Donatello on my 2P cab is blasphemy, I tell you! Blasphemy!

• Like 2

On 12/4/2017 at 11:49 AM, millerbrad said:

Dang.  I should play this game, given that I think I suggested it in the first place.

Bummer that TwinGalaxies doesn't use the "tmnt2po" version of the ROM.  Not being able to (easily) play as Donatello on my 2P cab is blasphemy, I tell you! Blasphemy!

I'm playing on a 2P cabinet as well.  Since we're not using the 2-player ROM, I've come up with a pretty convenient workaround to use for this competition:

- go to configure inputs (this game) and map all (4) of the turtles' up/down/left/right/jump/attack inputs to the same joystick and 2 buttons on the control panel

- go to configure inputs (this game) and map (4) otherwise unused buttons on your panel to the (4) coin-in buttons for the various characters

When you set it up like this, you "select" your character based on which coin-up button you use.  Regardless of which one you select, the controls will work the same because they're all mapped to the same controls. 

I actually set up my player-2 joystick to handle the credit buttons.  Up = Leo, Right = Mike, Down = Don, Left = Raph

Of course, this set up won't work if you want to play 2P simultaneous, but you can't do that for the competition anyway, and if you wanted to do it you could just load up the other ROM. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my first attempt: 75pts.

I actually found a good way to farm points off throwing stars and had a 115pt run, but accidentally hit the exit button instead of the screenshot button on my cab when I tried to save it. :wacko:

20171223141801.jpg

EDIT: Realized that the 115pt score actually saved on the high score table at 8th place. Submitting that one, too (if I can)...

20171223145408.thumb.jpg.d0a9f0669babbaadf4d645742ec746ca.jpg

I need an official ruling on this one.  Our competition is meant to be friendly, not fierce.  Farming for points is generally frowned upon.  In fact, in our OP, TwinGlaxies has specifically indicated a footnote about using such tactics:

Special Note: While some leeching is permitted in regards to opportunities against certain bosses [50 Points maximum], too much will result in your score being disqualified.

They say it's permitted up to 50 points against bosses (and they say CERTAIN bosses too).  I think using a tactic to easily increase your score should be counted as cheating.  But since I'm only a 1/3 supporting roll, we'll have to wait and see what @GimmeClassics and @DazzleHP have to say.  Far as I'm concerned, I'll take the75 score without issue since you didn't mention using this tactic there, but I will wait and see what they say.

For what it's worth, the 75 and the 115 both ended with me dying on the second boss. 75 was without farming stars, 115 farmed. So technically - maybe - I guess it'd meet the rules for no more than 50pts leeched (?)

But, you guys are the bosses, so I'm cool either way...

Yeesh.. I looked up leeching for the game on TG, and it seems like a slippery slope of yuck. At one point they were saying you could farm up to 15pts per enemy. That basically involved someone watching the game and counting every projectile you hit.

I'll make this easy.. go ahead and ignore the 115 (I didn't count, but I probably went over 15 on at least 1 guy).

If an enemy throws a throwing star at you, you get a point for each one you hit. It's possible to repeatedly hit throwing stars out of the air and farm points. I imagine the same probably applies to boomerangs and knives. In my case, I just farmed off the first couple throwing star guys on the first level.

Well, seeing as how @GimmeClassics and @DazzleHP have neglected to chime in their votes, I'll bow out and give you the 115.  @patrickfx makes a good point, if it's in the game, it's not cheating.  BUT, I would strongly suggest not doing it again! :)  My brother used to get soooo mad at me when we played Crue Ball on the Sega Genesis because it's possible to get your ball into the top section before you're supposed to and farm out extra lives.  He couldn't do it so when I ended up with 8 extra lives, I always ended up winning the high score and playing for an hour between turns.  So just to keep everything fair, no more exploiting farming tactics!

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everybody who participated in this go around.  Cynicaster is our winner with 140 kills, and Millerbrad was on his heals with a close 2nd of 115 kills.  This game is a lot more difficult than you'd think at first.  And the control situation and limit of character choice (without modifying your settings) seems to have affected the turnout of players.  Still, this is a great game, and I'm glad we have it listed now as a full-time play anytime leaderboard.  Join me in congratulating not only our winners, but also all those who contributed!  Well done all!

• Like 1