All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Metroid: The Complete History

tthurman

I've never played any of the Metroid games until I recently, and in fact wouldn't have played that if it weren't for your comments about the series.  Since then I've wondered how I missed this but did find the video very informative and well done much more than I anticipated going in.

Do you agree that Super METROID is the best of the series?

• Like 1

I would agree that Super Metroid is the best of the series, with Metroid Prime being a very close second. After those two it's a toss up as to how the rest of them stack up. I'd say Zero Mission, MP 2, MP 3, Return of Samus, Fusion, Metroid, Other M, Metroid II.

I've enjoyed every title, even Other M, and in their own right there really isn't a bad game in the main series. I still go through one or two of the 2D games every year, and I always have an active Prime game working be it MP 1 2 or 3. There might be a slight obsession going on here.

I'd say Echoes was the most tedious in the 3D franchise. Super Metroid sucked me in and I played it from start to finish in 2 days, even though I loose interest in side scrolling games very quickly. They need something to suck me in, Super metroid did. The only other one that kept my interest as much was Sonic 2, which says a lot about super metroid. But for me, top dog is Metoid Prime. Super Metroid was a very close second, but ultimately my decision is based first on which I'd rather play from the start right now, and second the one I've replayed the most. That's MP. I like the series, but Echoes is defiantly the most tedious. Corruption is very good though. But I prefer the GC controller vs the Motion controls. I did get the Trilogy on wii so I could play all three with the motion controls, but I've since reverted to my preference for the controller. It's still fun to play with the motion controls though. So it's cool to have options to replay the games with a different and satisfying control scheme.

Regarding Other M, I actually liked the fusion of side scrolling and third person view with 3D graphics. It was enjoyable and kept me entertained the whole game through. However, I never played it a second time. I've been meaning to though, as I think it gets a bad rap. I don't remember it being that bad. Then again I don't remember it being that amazing either. It was just a unique and enjoyable addition to the franchise, which makes it special. I intend to give it another look soon.