All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Bethesda Fallout table & backglass video won't launch?

hlr53

In FX3. I have triple checked all the names against the XML and they are correct. The backglass video and table videos won't launch in the wheel menu? They are in MP4 and when I double click them they run OK. I can launch and run the table OK. The table audio also works. I just can't figure this one out? Attached log and config.

<game name="BETHESDA_Fallout">
        <description>Fallout</description>
        <rom></rom>
        <manufacturer>Zen</manufacturer>
        <year></year>
        <type></type>
        <hidedmd>False</hidedmd>
        <hidetopper>True</hidetopper>
        <hidebackglass>False</hidebackglass>
        <enabled>True</enabled>
        <rating>0</rating>
        <gridposition>1x1</gridposition>
    </game>

PinballX.ini

log.txt

Pinball FX3.xml

post your xml.

What's your media file name for the game in your example?

Are you sure the files are in the PBFX3 folder

What folders do you have the files inside of the PBFX3 folder?

Do your table videos work for other emulators, PBX, VP etc?  Try renaming one of your videos as a VPX table place it in the VPX media folder and see if it plays for you.

Are the images folders empty?

Did you make your own videos or are the from the community, FTP?

Also, I find the attached program very useful.  It prints your directory to a .txt file, so you can manipulate in excel or word, in case you ever need to get a full list of your games from your directories.

ptdirprn-setup.exe

Appreciate the help! Only have a few minutes tonight. I teach guitar (playing 50 years Blues/Classic Rock) and have students tonight.

Posted XML above

Files in FX3

Folders are standard PBX install

Won't have a chance to test with VPX tonight

Image folders empty.

All videos FTPed. I believe the Fallout ones are from TerryRed's uploads in the PBX FTP. Probably most others too.

That program is awesome! Thanks! Just tried it out upstairs on my laptop.

I did try one thing. Temporarily renamed the Fallout table with an XXX prefix. In a different directory I renamed one of the other table videos that do launch (Biolab in this case) and renamed it to fallout. It launched ok. I deleted it and renamed Fallout back. It worked! I have no idea why?  However, when I tried the same procedure with the backglass it launched with the "Biolab" backglass but would not relaunch with the Fallout.

I've attached the Fallout backglass video. It was only 3meg.

BETHESDA_Fallout.mp4

That didn't work. I went into game manager and changed the description to BETHESDA_Fallout which changed it in the XML file. 

I assume PBX does not have its own codecs? Mine are whatever Windows 10 installed.  It shouldn't matter? if Windows can run it so should PBX? All other backglass and table videos are working fine. It is the smallest MP4 in the bunch at 8 seconds runtime, next largest being 12 sec. Does that matter? I guess I should try to recreate a new backglass video? Not sure how to do that as I have zero video experience.

This stuff should NOT be this difficult.

All the time I have for for tonight and I have trick-or-treat duty tomorrow from 6 - 8 :-(

Oh, and one last thing. If I make a change to a file name in either the table or backglass video directories, none of the table videos appear in PBX. Even if I cycle through all the wheels a few times. I have to reboot for all of them to come back. 

Any change you make while pbx is running requires a reboot of pbx.....

Dunno, i'm using that exact same file and it pulls up fine for me. It's like the vets told me though man, these are system config issues, not file or front-end issues.

In my setup i have the same file, with Fallout as the description and game name is Bethesda_Fallout, comes up just fine on my rig.

set these to false and see if it show up.

UseB2S=True

I'll try tonight. To clarify, I'm not running PBX when making changes and I have to reboot Windows to bring the table videos back. It might be a system config issue but I have a standard Windows 10 Pro install.  I will the run the video through a video capture program I have, add some length and do different encodings.

Yeah if your having to reboot windows then that is definitely a systems issue, so they wont come back by just rebooting pinball x?

What you say might work, I had a weird scenario, where i had created my own dvd videos in .avi, it worked fine for about 2 months, and then PBX just started freezing whenever i selected a table that had my videos.  I converted them all to .mp4 and its worked fine every since.  Have no idea why .avi starting freezing up PBX out of nowhere.

Yeah be very careful on doing updates, once you get you system running shut down the updates, otherwise any new updates could wreak havoc on your PC, especially if you've updated the registry, or make sure your creating lots of restore points.  I lost alot of functionality when updating to that creator, took awhile to sort it all out.  I found a setting to where Win10 no longer updates even when connected to the internet.

However, some have the latest update and have no problems at all, so we all have the same cars just different engines with their own finicky ways.

Nope, have to reboot Windows which is very strange. Restarting PBX a few times doesn't help. Maybe a loose pointer in PBX - LOL (Sorry Tom - don't even know if this is written in C++?). I have mixed feelings on updates. Prefer not to update but may miss critical security patches. Steam updates make me more nervous. During trick or treat tonight I will play with making a new video on my laptop and transfer it over. I'm betting that will fix it.

Reminds me, I have to do a restore point and backup my media directories tonight.

Sucess! I ran the video through Debut Professional Video Capture software by NCH which is what I use to scarf video C++ Unity programming lectures, among other things. I've attached the codec settings using the MediaInfo program. Why the original Fallout wouldn't work, IDK? I have to read up on codecs someday. Just hasn't been an area I've been interested in.

Fallout orig downloaded.txt

Fallout remade.txt