All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

possible cabinet mode in Pinball Arcade

captaincroutons

I know some others may have still been holding out a foolish hope that Farsight would officially release cab support, but I got this reply from their support team recently.

Me: 

"Hello,

I am sure you receive many inquiries about this, but are there any plans to include cabinet support at present? I am sure many of your customers, myself included, would be more than happy to pay an additional fee for this feature, fund a kickstarter, etc., to make this possible. Your software is superb, and I'd much prefer using it and legitimately purchased pinball tables over some of the shadier emulation options available.

Thank you."

Farsight Support: 

"Hello there!

We are not able to release full cab support due to some licensing issues, but we have recently released on Arcooda Cabinets. There are also a few mods on the Pinball Arcade fans forum that will get the game working properly. :)"

I guess most people probably moved on from that possibility already, but I was still hopeful. :/

cleardot.gif

It's a shame as the tables r descent but with lack of cab support makes it a downer for me. I can't even get back glass on a separate screen so having 2 black screens while playing doesnt really do it for me.

• Like 1

I addressed this issue with Farsight many months ago. They intentionally strung the pincab PBA fan community along with the hopes of providing cab support only to finally be called out on their behavior. Nice of them to grab our dollars on a false promise. They will not grab any more of mine.

• Like 1

Honestly it came down to the fact that I like their software, I think the physics are good, and for once I wanted to legitimately buy something instead of downloading it for free. I guess they don't want our money that badly.

EDIT: Yeah, I looked at the Arcooda tables after Farsight support emailed me. Not my cup of tea, seems like something for the much younger generation, since they think everything is a touch screen anyway.

Glad I wasn't buying content with the intent of putting it on the pincab. That said, I can understand the frustration.

I kind of looked at what was on offer for the Arcooda. Likely a bit overbuilt, and probably a bit rich for my blood (I'm expecting the price to be $5K+), although I am curious as to where they're getting 42" touch screens at. I also noted the "All of these pinball titles and many more available exclusively on Arcooda Video Pinball" callout... so I suspect this is specifically at least part of the licensing mentioned preventing the rest of us from getting proper cabinet support. It's likely in the contract, either for a specific amount of time, or just until they decide to stop selling it, so that competitors are forced, if they wanna do it all legal, they have to resort to the camera mod and the extra mess that can entail for a retail product.

I'd be curious to see it in action when it comes out. If it turns out to be the proper cabinet support they'd promise us, then I'm less likely to purchase in the future, even though when I started, doing a pincab wasn't in the cards. It is at this point, and with FX2, Pro Pinball Ultra, and Zaccaria all supporting cabinet setups easily now (indeed, I have them on the computer for my pincab build right now!), showing a third-party product with full proper cabinet support will make the regular Pinball Arcade just so much less appealing.

3 hours ago, jferio said:

I'd be curious to see it in action when it comes out. If it turns out to be the proper cabinet support they'd promise us, then I'm less likely to purchase in the future, even though when I started, doing a pincab wasn't in the cards. It is at this point, and with FX2, Pro Pinball Ultra, and Zaccaria all supporting cabinet setups easily now (indeed, I have them on the computer for my pincab build right now!), showing a third-party product with full proper cabinet support will make the regular Pinball Arcade just so much less appealing.

Which gets back to the offerings of VP and FP which already has the titles PBA offers.

Plus there's all the tables PBA will NEVER get, that's a bit of a drawback. Now personally, when I put my pincab together, I didn't WANT to just cram hundreds of tables on there. I want a few classics to really enjoy and spend time learning. I've made that mistake with bartop arcades; loaded them with thousands of ROMs and only play a handful. No one has time to play a large assortment regularly, we pick a few we like and stick to them anyway. I still think the software itself is great, but I'm biased because the iOS app is what made me decide to put together a pincab.

I can't disagree with you. I happen to be a big fan of all of the tables for Pinball FX. My cab is pretty basic in that I have Pinball FX installed, a few VP tables, and will be setting up Zaccaria and ProPinball in the near future. Since we got the shaft from Farsight on cab support, I have removed it from my pincab and installed it on my main gaming PC. Not going to futz with the Free Cam Mod as it has to be updated too frquently to work around Farsight UI changes and breaks for me to enjoy the tables I have.

I actually like TPA but I'm a casual player and wouldn't know good from bad physics if it bit me in the....With that said, FP is definitely inferior to VP and others but I still love to play Slam's tables now and then.

I'm not investing any more time or money in PBA.  I'll occasionally play the tables I bought but that's about it. I'll get the VP versions for ones I didn't purchase.

My future money is with Zaccaria and FX2 - EDIT: and 3! Gonna buy Pinball Pro eventually. I love FX2 graphics but my true love is still old EM tables because that is what I played as a kid in the 60's and 70's. An embarrassing amount of dimes were spent :D

Well, back to my cab construction in the AM because I built a poplar top (instead of a metal lock down bar and metal side rails because I have a lot of left over wood from our basement finishing) and completely hosed it trying to do a rabbet for the playfield glass after I constructed the frame. Stupid Craftsman router! (and some operator error I gotta admit). Gonna do the rabbets on my table saw this time on each piece before I assemble. A local place outside of Cincinnati is doing my 3/16" tempered glass 21x38" for $45.00. Not too bad. Man, it is Florida hot in OH this week. 90's and 70 dew points.

well i finally de installed TPA after i realised all the table were available in VPT / VPX.

There loss.

On 9/22/2017 at 5:46 PM, hlr53 said:

I actually like TPA but I'm a casual player and wouldn't know good from bad physics if it bit me in the....With that said, FP is definitely inferior to VP and others but I still love to play Slam's tables now and then.

I'm not investing any more time or money in PBA.  I'll occasionally play the tables I bought but that's about it. I'll get the VP versions for ones I didn't purchase.

My future money is with Zaccaria and FX2 - EDIT: and 3! Gonna buy Pinball Pro eventually. I love FX2 graphics but my true love is still old EM tables because that is what I played as a kid in the 60's and 70's. An embarrassing amount of dimes were spent :D

Well, back to my cab construction in the AM because I built a poplar top (instead of a metal lock down bar and metal side rails because I have a lot of left over wood from our basement finishing) and completely hosed it trying to do a rabbet for the playfield glass after I constructed the frame. Stupid Craftsman router! (and some operator error I gotta admit). Gonna do the rabbets on my table saw this time on each piece before I assemble. A local place outside of Cincinnati is doing my 3/16" tempered glass 21x38" for $45.00. Not too bad. Man, it is Florida hot in OH this week. 90's and 70 dew points.

I'm in the process of making a wood "lockdown bar" for my cab also! Although the 80s Craftsman router I picked up for $20 on CL has been great so far!

2 hours ago, captaincroutons said:

I'm in the process of making a wood "lockdown bar" for my cab also! Although the 80s Craftsman router I picked up for $20 on CL has been great so far!

Problem I had with my Sears router is the 1/2" x 3/16" rabbet bit I had wouldn't fit through the center whole of the bottom plate. So I took it off and the router wasn't terribly stable with the bottom plate missing. Wandered so I make some crooked cuts. So, I bit the bullet today and ordered a Dewalt dado throat plate and 8" stacked dado set. Next weekends project :)

7 hours ago, hlr53 said:

Problem I had with my Sears router is the 1/2" x 3/16" rabbet bit I had wouldn't fit through the center whole of the bottom plate. So I took it off and the router wasn't terribly stable with the bottom plate missing. Wandered so I make some crooked cuts. So, I bit the bullet today and ordered a Dewalt dado throat plate and 8" stacked dado set. Next weekends project :)

Ooh! That's not good. But an excuse to get more tools/bits is always good.

• 1 month later...
what I mean is that the menus of Arcooada are hidden in pinball arcade and although they are still in development because they change according to new versions of pinball arcade, when it is finished we will have pinball arcade in cabin mode.

• 6 months later...

I have spent $149.00 and then some on the promise of cab support for Pinball Arcade before Arcooda only to be told that they couldn't because of licensing.

The holders of Williams and Bally probably don't want to associated with their filthy tactics.

I don't think the scheisters at Farsight will ever see another $0.01 out of my pocket. They should be giving it away for free to those they deceived.

• Like 1