All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

No possible to play table video 4k

sebastien

Hello

I can not read the file mp4 with 4k résolution.  

Anybody can tell if it s possible !!! Please

I use shadonw play nidivia . And the video are excellent but no reading in pinballx .... i have try to change parameter in shaek codec ...... but nothing change....

I have search on internet but i found nothing .......... i suppose than i am alone with this probleme

Thanks 

I moved this from the PinballX Media Projects forum. First, I would recommend ditching Shark 007 codecs and using the newer and better LAV filters. That said, I am not sure if it is possible or not as I do not have a 4K monitor to test.

I have another tiny probleme with media 

When i start pinballx my backglass and my dmd video are on the display 2. All it's ok

I choose a table pinballfx3. ... i play. ... and when i quit pinballfx3. ....the dmd video is under the backglass .... somebody has the same problem ? Or a solution please

38 minutes ago, sebastien said:

I have another tiny probleme with media 

When i start pinballx my backglass and my dmd video are on the display 2. All it's ok

I choose a table pinballfx3. ... i play. ... and when i quit pinballfx3. ....the dmd video is under the backglass .... somebody has the same problem ? Or a solution please

Since it isn't related to the problem you initially reported, can you open a new thread and attach copies of your pinballx .ini and log.txt files please? Thanks!

I don't have 4K so I don't know if it works or not. Three screens running 4K just for attract videos seems like overkill to me. I would say the same thing about HD running 60 fps on three screens. It's possible this is just too much of a load. Shadowplay at highest settings takes up hundreds of Mb per minute even at 1080p. PBXRecorder downsamples and compresses to produce output that's about 10Mb or so per minute (no audio). 

How about just for test purposes, can you disable backglass and DMD and see if it will play if there is only the playfield video to disolay? Otherwise, you will want to consider compressing the file. 

It's just attract mode. It doesn't have to be lossless, right?

I do have a 4K playfield and run everything in 4K.....but I haven't tried creating NEW 4K videos for Pinball X yet, so I don't know if they will run well.  Whatever video you are using for pinball videos....don't try running 60 fps videos if you also have videos on your backglass, topper,etc....as you will get stuttering.   Instead, convert all pinball videos to 30 fps, and you won't have any issues. (this has nothing to do with 4K, its a limitation with PBX)

44 minutes ago, sebastien said:

Hello

Table 4k ok with 30fps.... the result is ok

Thanks very much

Yah, its best to stick with 30 fps for all systems, unless you know for sure you will only have "one" 60 fps playfield video, with the BG, DMD,etc as pictures.

So if you guys see Toppers at more than 30fps, you should convert them to 30 as they won't always run smooth and will hamper your Pinball x experience.

• Thanks 1

One thing to keep in mind is that PinballX is dividing the video output amongst as many video devices and memory and data channels available. Only so much data can pass through over a period of time.

In optimal systems with the best CPU and GPU and mobo combinations will be less likely to experience stutter but may be limited by the limitations of the prigramming language for the frontend and/or the OS.

4 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

I cant think of any reason why a 4k video wouldn't work just so you know. It will likely be slow but it should play.

While I haven't tried any video capture in 4K yet....using the correct codec may make a difference.

4K video tends to use HEVC now, so if you system can handle that ok it may be fine. Not sure if LAV supports HEVC though.

Stick to 30 fps for your videos either way.

On my system (Ryzen 1300X + GTX960), with LAV filters, PinballX is *SUPER SLOW* with 4k video (DMD+PF only, no BG).  I had to convert the videos to 3FPS in order for it to be usable.

I encoded as yuv420p which allowed LAV's CUDA mode to start working, but it made very little difference.    DXVA won't pick them up for some reason.  

Here are the encoding lines I'm using.  If someone has something that works better for 4k I'm all ears, but I find this preferable to blurry 1080p video or 4k stills. :)

(capture)

Run, "%FFMpegPath%\ffmpeg" -y -t %RecTime% -rtbufsize 1500M -f gdigrab -framerate 3 -offset_x 0 -offset_y 0 -video_size %PF_width%x%PF_Height% -i desktop -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -qp 0 -threads 8 "%A_ScriptDir%\playfield.mkv",,Hide UseErrorLevel

(encode)

Run, "%FFMpegPath%\ffmpeg" -y -i "%A_ScriptDir%\playfield.mkv" -ss 5 -to 1000 -vf %PFRotation% -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -crf 30 -profile:v baseline -level 3.0 -qscale:v 5 "%MediaOutPath%\%MediaSubDirOut%\Table Videos\%SearchString%.%RecExt%",,UseErrorLevel

Just tried to do about 40 4K videos myself...and yah it makes PBX run slow, even with hardware decoders,etc...

May have to play around with it...but so far 30fps 4K videos run fine, but PBX is a bit slow (with 4 videos running at the same time). Haven't tried just a playfield video with static everything else yet.

i5 2500K, GTX 970, 500GB SSD.

Hey Rob, blurry 1080p now? LOL. I'm only laughing because it is all relative. Remember when 800x600 was great? And when we could afford those 70# monster 24" monitors and run them at 1024x768?

I gotta admit, watching 4K on our big Samsung home theater system does make 1920 look fuzzy. %$U*@^ Netflix will down scale 4K when their server gets busy and the wife and I will say WTF? Why is it fuzzy all of a sudden?

I'm not saying anyone do this but how about a second video card?

I would expect it to be slow as the rendering is not hardware accelareted. Not much can be done about it right now. At some point Ill look at moving to DXVA or similar. To be clear, its not the decoding its the rendering. There is a memory copy involved. It would be improved as CPU/RAM speed improves.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

I would expect it to be slow as the rendering is not hardware accelareted. Not much can be done about it right now. At some point Ill look at moving to DXVA or similar. To be clear, its not the decoding its the rendering. There is a memory copy involved. It would be improved as CPU/RAM speed improves.

So you mean it doesn't matter whether we use LAV, or FFMPEG, or FFDshow or HEVC... that PBX's rendering is restricted...so currently the only option is a faster CPU?

I honestly wasn't expecting it to run perfect considering I'm essentially playing the equivalent of 5+ 1080p videos at the same time per table.

Decisions...decisions...

13 minutes ago, TerryRed said:

So you mean it doesn't matter whether we use LAV, or FFMPEG, or FFDshow or HEVC... that PBX's rendering is restricted...so currently the only option is a faster CPU?

I honestly wasn't expecting it to run perfect considering I'm essentially playing the equivalent of 5+ 1080p videos at the same time per table.

Decisions...decisions...

When it comes to 4k, yes, PBX is the bottleneck.

Just now, Tom Speirs said:

When it comes to 4k, yes, PBX is the bottleneck.

Thanks Tom. At least we know we aren't going nuts trying different codec settings,etc...

PBX is not a bottleneck... it's a gift.

• Like 1

I have seen this with other apps that divide video output amongst multiple displays. On one PC the videos play with no noticeable degradation or stutter, test on one with older and slower tech, stutter galore.