All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

No possible to play table video 4k

sebastien

On 10/31/2017 at 4:29 AM, hlr53 said:

Hey Rob, blurry 1080p now? LOL. I'm only laughing because it is all relative. Remember when 800x600 was great? And when we could afford those 70# monster 24" monitors and run them at 1024x768?

LOL, yep, blurry! :)    I am only using a 29" 4k monitor, it's probably even more noticeable on the 40"+ that a lot of folks are using.   I think it has less to do with 1080p quality and more to do with how the video is being stretched to fit the native resolution.    No fancy upscale algorithm here (not that I would expect one).     And yeah, I definitely remember those 70lb trinitron 24" monitors.    Man they were pretty in their time, but I don't miss trying to lift those suckers.   I used to install them into touch-screen kiosk systems. :)

18 hours ago, Carny_Priest said:

Sorry,  #firstworldproblems

Indeed.  I think anything that goes wrong with a virutal pinball cabinet should be classified as a first world problem, though. :)

On 10/31/2017 at 11:21 AM, Tom Speirs said:

I would expect it to be slow as the rendering is not hardware accelareted. Not much can be done about it right now. At some point Ill look at moving to DXVA or similar. To be clear, its not the decoding its the rendering. There is a memory copy involved. It would be improved as CPU/RAM speed improves.

Thanks Tom!  That's what we needed to know, that hardware decoding isn't currently supported.   That explains why DXVA never shows that it's working.    And you're right - there isn't much overall performance difference between hardware-decode (CUDA) and software decode in my tests.      I'm happy with my low-FPS video solution for now.   

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:14 PM, djrobx said:

LOL, yep, blurry! :)    I am only using a 29" 4k monitor, it's probably even more noticeable on the 40"+ that a lot of folks are using.   I think it has less to do with 1080p quality and more to do with how the video is being stretched to fit the native resolution.    No fancy upscale algorithm here (not that I would expect one).     And yeah, I definitely remember those 70lb trinitron 24" monitors.    Man they were pretty in their time, but I don't miss trying to lift those suckers.   I used to install them into touch-screen kiosk systems. :)

Indeed.  I think anything that goes wrong with a virutal pinball cabinet should be classified as a first world problem, though. :)

Thanks Tom!  That's what we needed to know, that hardware decoding isn't currently supported.   That explains why DXVA never shows that it's working.    And you're right - there isn't much overall performance difference between hardware-decode (CUDA) and software decode in my tests.      I'm happy with my low-FPS video solution for now.   

Your cpu is about on par with a low end i3 on a single core basis, is that about right? So yes, I would definitely expect it to struggle a little.

If someone can give me some 4k vids to play around with I will take a look but its all about CPU speed really. Its all optimized but its just a limitation with the libraries and frameworks in use and there really is still not any better options available right now to use even if I wanted to without moving to something entirely different across the board.

Definitely worth checking out the Beta I posted yesterday though. It will do 1080p 30fps playfield (only) at nearly 30fps on an Atom X5 z8350

6 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

Your cpu is about on par with a low end i3 on a single core basis, is that about right? So yes, I would definitely expect it to struggle a little.

If someone can give me some 4k vids to play around with I will take a look but its all about CPU speed really. Its all optimized but its just a limitation with the libraries and frameworks in use and there really is still not any better options available right now to use even if I wanted to without moving to something entirely different across the board.

Definitely worth checking out the Beta I posted yesterday though. It will do 1080p 30fps playfield (only) at nearly 30fps on an Atom X5 z8350

I uploaded what 4K videos I had so far to my folder on the GameEx FTP, in:

/-PinballX-/Other Uploads/TerryRed/4K Media/Future Pinball/Table Videos

These are all 30 fps videos at 3840x2160.

On another note, I noticed that Convert-it (love that program) won't allow you to manually convert videos to a custom size above 1920x1080. It will however convert a 4K video to the same 4K size if you choose to not change resolution.

Also, I've been beta testing a new program that will allow for VPX to have real-time videos played on your BG, DMD, or Topper screen... and this is all triggered from in table events. So otherwords, you can almost have a SLAMT1LT like table in VPX now. (no overlays or hologram videos on the table itself though). It uses VLC as its media player.

It works really well so far. I've been having it play videos clips from Tron Legacy in full HD at 1080p 24 fps while playing Tron Legacy VPX, and they play silky smooth on all screens...including on top of your B2S!  (you have to "Hide" PBX Topper video when table is launch, but Topper Pics are fine)

Here's the thread:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=38979

May take some research but I would think that you could produce videos with an alpha channel (overlays/hologram effect) with ffmpeg. VLC should play it.  If playback had to happen on the playfield and you still want exclusive full screen, well, in that situation you would be SOL.

I'm interested to see how this progresses if the tech can be used to reproduce existing toppers with event-driven animations (e.g., the flopping fish on FT). Otherwise, I can see this being abused to tart up a table to the nth degree. If I wanted to watch videos, I'd go watch friggin' Netflix. *grumble, grumble.

33 minutes ago, Carny_Priest said:

May take some research but I would think that you could produce videos with an alpha channel (overlays/hologram effect) with ffmpeg. VLC should play it.  If playback had to happen on the playfield and you still want exclusive full screen, well, in that situation you would be SOL.

I'm interested to see how this progresses if the tech can be used to reproduce existing toppers with event-driven animations (e.g., the flopping fish on FT). Otherwise, I can see this being abused to tart up a table to the nth degree. If I wanted to watch videos, I'd go watch friggin' Netflix. *grumble, grumble.

Yah, I think having videos on the playfield won't be happening for cabinets.  Exclusive fullscreen is REQUIRED if you want VPX to play well in 4K in a cabinet view...and too many people don't want to give up silky smooth, stutter-free gameplay by going back to windowed fullscreen.  For desktop though, I could see it being used similar to FP in borderless windowed mode.

Yah, VLC doesn't seem to work with the Alpha channel of PNG. I just tried it.  This would be a very neat thing to do...but it seems alot of people havew issues getting ALPHA channels to work well with VLC.

As for reproducing event-driven toppers. It already supports that and it works well for an original table. (you can use it for any event you want, really) For a rom-based table, you would either have to get it to work with the script with another set of rules or commands, or hope it can get support via B2S.  I would prefer the option of having both supported.

If you see a table getting alot of videos with this...the nice thing is you can simply remove videos from an event's folder (which equals an auto playlist), unless the script calls for a specific filename.

It would be possible to have a Jersey Jack like BackGlass with this. I would love to see it!  Options are always a good thing.

Try ffplay or mpc-hc? Or it just may require a third party lib that doesn't normally get installed with VLC.

For this solution to be workable for a JJP type display, the transparency issue has to be worked out. How else to blend video with scoring?

Of course, there is already a platform for JJP type display. P-ROC SDL2 such as Horsey's Evil Dead table.

2 minutes ago, Carny_Priest said:

Try ffplay or mpc-hc? Or it just may require a third party lib that doesn't normally get installed with VLC.

For this solution to be workable for a JJP type display, the transparency issue has to be worked out. How else to blend video with scoring?

Of course, there is already a platform for JJP type display. P-ROC SDL2 such as Horsey's Evil Dead table.

Literally just talked about this with NailBuster. He seems to think it may be possible with VLC...at least with still images. I did something like that with MOTU Mastered on FP. A Text overlay on top of the Video Overlay.

I'm not sure if JJP uses a text overlay for everything. I'm sure alot of it is also pre-rendered videos....but for scoring with VP, we really can't have a text overlay for all instances of every score (its just images...not PinMAME or UltraDMD). Yes, you saw that I created scoring over video on MOTU...but only for big significant events that always awarded the same points each time. I suppose for big consistent scoring events we could though.

Though honestly you could just video edit scores or text on top of the videos or pictures for big events anyway. Nice thing about this program is you can just add more videos or pictures to a folder (which equals a playlist) all you want to remove repetition without needing to change the table script again.

As for PROC, I tried to install that Evil Dead (when it was available) and it was not a simple process.... (I never did get it to work).   This setup is easy by comparison....and if it somehow can tap into B2S calls....just imagine.

• 2 months later...

i ran pbxrecorder with 2K30fps encoding and the results are (almost) great. videos are very nive on a 4k screen, but PBX crashes after some time scrolling:

thoughts?

09:26:10.0  2/6/2018:  Started
09:28:38.5  2/6/2018:  Error. Exiting
09:28:38.5  2/6/2018:  Parameter is not valid.
09:28:38.6  2/6/2018:     at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, PixelFormat format)
09:28:38.6  2/6/2018:     at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height)
09:28:38.6  2/6/2018:     at Direct2D.Direct2d.Surface.a(String A_0, Device A_1)
09:28:38.6  2/6/2018:     at Direct2D.Direct2d.Surface..ctor(String Filename, Device Device)
09:28:38.6  2/6/2018:     at PinballX.FrmMain.b(Boolean A_0)
09:28:38.6  2/6/2018:     at PinballX.FrmMain.af()
09:28:38.6  2/6/2018:     at PinballX.FrmMain.ap()
09:28:38.6  2/6/2018:     at PinballX.FrmMain..ctor()
09:28:38.6  2/6/2018:  Disposing Plugins
09:28:38.6  2/6/2018:  Showing Taskbar
09:28:38.6  2/6/2018:  Unhiding Mouse Cursor
09:28:38.6  2/6/2018:  Bye