All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Rotate display via button?

high-5

Hi, I'd like to rotate GameEx Display 90 Degrees and back via Arcade Buttons. Any idea if this is possible?
Did not find a setting in the setup wizard (3.1.5) using GameEx Arcade Edition: Version 14.96

Thanks.

I do not believe this can be done via the Setup Wizard. There is a Rotate Display option in the Display Settings, but that is for a dedicated vertical monitor for things like vertical shooter cabs.

You might consider changing the monitor resolution instead. I know that there are apps that allow you to set a hot key to change the monitor resolution and orientation. Your GPU software may even have the option. The only drawback I can see is that the GameEx Theme may look a little odd when a custom resolution is used (since Themes are usually created with one resolution, or at least one aspect ratio in mind).

So, what's the reason for wanting to rotate the GameEx screen instead of the game itself?

My fault, I should have made clear what I am trying to achieve:)

I am using GameEx in an original arcade cab and the monitor is easy to rotate so I would like to run GameEx vertically and horizontally - Resolution of course stays the same.
The "rotate display" option in GameEx just works perfect but I would like to switch the orientation on push of a button without restarting GameEx.

Trying to find an option to map "rotate display" to an input device.

Thanks for your help.

That is about what I figured you were trying to do...and, sadly, the answer is no. There isn't a built in way to do what you want. I also looked through the plugins and did not find anything.

Look at it from the video side of things. Hopefully you have a video card that supports monitor rotation and hot keys. You may also want to look into using a script via AutoHotKey or a combination of both. Then you will need some software that will tie the custom hot key to the button.

Does your video software suppot rotation and hot keys? And do you have software that lets you assign a hot key to your input device?

Another way to do it, although time consuming unless you only have a small number of vertical games, is to run the Mame game and then edit the config for that game only and rotate the view. That way whenever you start up the game, the view will be rotated and you just turn your monitor to match. The downside is that the game now has it's own config and any time you wanted to change controls for all games, you would have to manually make the same change there.

This is the exact reason why I run GameEX for horizontal games only and you can hook MAME into PinballX for those vertical games.

Tom has added a wonderful feature where GameEX creates XMLs for use with PinballX. Check location GameEx\DATA\PINBALLX

Thanks for your answers! 
Dont have any other video software installed than CRT Emu Drivers - wanted to keep the OS as clean as possible.
I am using a JPAC so I could assign keys to my buttons and also add macros - maybe I could kill gameex task and run it with another (horizontal/vertical) config on push of a button.

B2K24, how do you change from horizontal to vertical then? 

for now I got this workaround implemented:

assigned two hotkeys (2player-button plus Joystick up or down) to run a script which kills any gameex process and run gameex either with a horizontal or a vertical (rotate display) ini.

Works :-)
Downside is if I have to change something in configuration I always have to save it two times (h/v)

On 10.10.2017 at 9:53 AM, Tom Speirs said:

CTROL-TAB rotates the display but have you looked at the rotation plugin?

Thanks for the CTRL-TAB hint, will try to map this to a cab button.

The rotation pluglin seems to need a hardware pcb on LPT or PS2 port to work - will have a closer look into it.

• 3 weeks later...

Tom, I have looked into the rotation plugin and both documented ways need some kind of hardware to get it working.

CTRL-TAB function is what I need, just works fine mapped to a cab button. Ideally it would be possible to switch the different options (90 degrees, 180, 270, split screen) in both directions (maybe Left-CTRL and Right-CTRL) so one dont has to go through all of them eg. when going back from 180 to 90.