All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[Attn Tom] MAME games not starting with GameEx in fullscreen

shroud

This is another problem I've had for ages, and never figured out how to fix...

MAME games work fine when I launch them from GameEx in window mode, but the screen is all black when I start them from GameEx in fullscreen. I tried with and without either "-window" or "-bezel" in the MAME command line, and I tried with and without the "Don't use bezels" option, but it's always the same. It doesn't matter if the game is vertical or horizontal.

Does this problem ring a bell to anyone? (attached are my latest log.txt and GameEx.ini files).

Might be something addressed in one of the subsequent versions to what you have installed at present. Let's take a look after you upgrade to the latest version of GameEx, OK?

I did some testing with shroud's config on my setup and was able to get the same issue in 14.96. It looks to be related to HideOS. When Display Settings > Window/Full Screen is set to Full Screen and Display Settings > Hide Desktop is set to NO, HideOS.exe will still launch when a Mame game is launched. The screen stays black and MAME sits in the background not in focus. Note, I did not do an other emulator testing.

I renamed HideOS.exe in the GameEx directory and things ran ok then.

I am really surprised I was able to replicate this issue. I would not think that something like this would slipped through the cracks between the 14.03 and 14.94 release. I mean, we should have had a lot of complaints. :) Maybe it is some combination of things that makes it happen.

Anyway, attached is my GameEx.ini and several log.txt files from the testing.

@shroud you may be ok holding of on upgrading for the moment...but renaming HideOS.exe is certainly a quick fix for the time being.

@Tom Speirs Hey Tom, could you look over this one?

log - HideOS disabled - HideOS renamed.txt

log - HideOS disabled.txt

log - HideOS enabled.txt

GameEx.ini

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DazzleHP said:

Yup, HideOS is only advantageous in certain circumstances, otherwise it should be disabled.

I think the issue is that GE is still loading up HideOs even though Hide Desktop is set to NO. 

@RedDog did renaming HideOs.exe to something else have any detrimental effect considering GE still wants to load it?

11 hours ago, cdbrown said:

@RedDog did renaming HideOs.exe to something else have any detrimental effect considering GE still wants to load it?

I disabled the HideOS.exe to test a theory, so I didn't take the testing far beyond that. Since the log.txt file did not throw up any errors, I would doubt there would be any residual problems with the rename. I would only suggest flagging the Hide Desktop in the Display Settings to No in the Setup Wizard.

I do not run GameEx with Hide Disktop because I am always tinkering with things and just never quite get it to a 'finished' state.  :)

• Like 1