All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Star Trek Discovery

hansolo77

Star Trek Discovery  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• Epic! It's about time they made a new Star Trek!
    • Meh, special effects were ok, but the acting sucked.
    • Star Trek Enterpise ruined the franchise and they'll never get it back.
    • Don't Care, didn't watch it. Stupid Trekkie Nerds, get a life.

So did you guys watch it?  Are you going to subscribe to CBS's online service to continue watching it?  I myself am delighted they finally came out with the show.  It's been in development for years, and delayed a number of times.  I'm pissed about their release scheme of presenting everybody a teaser on TV then requiring you to PAY to watch the rest.  Especially when other countries are going to be able to watch it live on TV for free.  I'm gonna just sit back and wait for the internet underground to release it, then I'll buy it on BluRay when it comes out (if it does.. still waiting on DS9 and VOY).  I gotta say though, the acting was a bit stiff and emotionless.  The science officer alien guy was better at emoting than the actors with nothing on their faces.  I'm not sure about the Klingons either.  But, this is just the start.  Every version of Star Trek always has it rough starting out.  I just hope it last longer than 3 seasons.  I'm also not sure I like the special effects direction.  It's supposed to be 10 years before the original series, but the special effects make it look like it's further in the future than Voyager.  I've had this gripe with the new movies too (Chris Pine).  They're good movies for an alternate universe or something, but according to the makers, THIS show is in the same PRIME universe as the rest of shows.  I just can't understand how their 280-degree view screen is older than the 4:3 50-inch screen the original series had.  LOL.  But that's trivial.  I gotta look past it and look for the stories and acting.  Hopefully they take the show in the direction of re-interpreting today's issues like classic Trek is known for, rather than just making a special effects sci-fi epic that would be better suited as a movie.  Most websites are saying it is a single story arc per season, so I doubt current issues will make much impact in the long season.  The preview bit at the end of the 2nd episode has me hopeful.  And Jason Issacs as the captain?  Will have to wait and see!

Didn't catch it. I  can't justify buying the CBS streaming service just for this. It bothers me that they are holding Star Trek, of all shows, hostage. It was always syndicated! Now they think it's Game Of Thrones and can get away with the HBO model. I can't justify buying every streaming service just for a few good shows. Competition in the streaming arena just annoys the hell out of me. If it wasn't for the fact it's keeping prices down, I'd rather Netflix were allowed the monopoly so this crap wouldn't happen. Unfortunately, monopolies eventually hike the price, so competition is the only way to balance the scale. So we have to put up with this shiz. Too bad, I wanted to see it. I guess I'll have to wait till the dvds come out.

I just downloaded the episode yesterday after watching it on Sunday night so I could watch it again.  The version I downloaded starts with the NETFLIX logo, so it's apparently available on there.  I imagine Amazon won't be too far off getting it to.  I Amazon Prime, so that's a bonus for me if it shows up there.  Of course, it's also available on their dedicated CBS-All Access streaming service.  I was pissed when I learned that they were doing it that way a year ago.  But I got over it.  It's available for free in other countries, and because of that, it'll be available for free online too.  You just gotta know where to look.  I'm not going to say how or where.. just that if you were interested, it's available.  I'm totally going to buy the BluRay's though if they ever come out.  I've got everything on BluRay I can buy, and DS9 and VOY on DVD.  I'm with you though about them thinking it's Game of Thrones quality out of the gate and they can get away with having it online only.  I mean, they should offer an online option as a supplementary service to watching it on regular TV, not require a monthly subscription fee as the only way to see it.  They have 15 episodes (14 completed, #15 was supposed to be filmed this week).  One a week means at least 3 months of service.  No thanks.  The only other shows I watch on CBS are Big Bang Theory and Price is Right.  :)  Not worth paying for.  Especially since CBS is a broadcast network and not a cable network.  I get the channel for free OTA.  If the show were on a cable network, I might consider it.  But free local broadcast?  Nah.

The future of TV is changing to the subscription model. I hate it because it always leaves us poor folks out of the conversation. I remember when friends would talk about a show I wanted to see live but couldn't afford to (Because it was on cable or a movie channel). I had to have it spoiled before I ever get a chance to see it. Eventually it would finally come out on free TV, years later when it's an afterthought. That BS pisses me off. Now it's not because of cable or a movie channel like HBO. It's because you don't have Netflix, HULU, CBS all access, amazon video, VUDU, and [insert another subscription streaming service]. I hated the business model of big cable enough to cut the cord. $200+/month is too much. Now we have the streaming model becoming monetized to the hilt. It was cool when it was new, now it's getting ruined by competition and greed. They need to bring back syndication to the streaming services. Netflix gets it's Original content for the first 3-6 months then syndicates it to the other streaming services and they do the same. That way you can see all the shows without switching services or having multiple subscriptions if you can wait.

The competition for exclusive rights to a TV show would still happen. Malcolm in the middle is going off Netflix on OCt-1 for example. I don't know who beat them out for the contract, but that is one show I could watch over and over without tiring of. So that one stings. I'm actually looking at buying the show, so I won't have to loose it. Stargate SG-1 went off Netflix years ago and hasn't returned, I bought it too. I'm torn on this model. As a consumer and fan of TV, I hate it when "my" show is removed. At the same time it drives DVD sales and encourages TV producers to  continue making great shows. It also creates the exclusive hook that the various streaming companies need to compete with one another and drive the price war, keeping the subscription costs down. I just wish one service had everything, forever, for cheap...like the OASIS (Ready Player One reference). But that is fantasy as long as we live in a capitalist society. And I'm not sure there would be as good of content available if it weren't for the competition. So the inconvenience is the real price we pay. Kinda like freedom too, huh? Sigh!