All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

ArcadeVGA option in Gameex Arcade

we1dont7die

There is an option in the wizard to select arcadevga as your video card. But when I enable that,  MAME will not use the -switchres option. When I turn off the option, the games switchres just fine. I found this out after an hour or two of troubleshooting. What exactly does this option do?

Short for Graphical Device Interface, GDI is a Microsoft Windows function for Windows and Windows applications to use graphic devices such as monitors, printers, and other output devices.

OK thanks. Still confused what the setting actually does though. Is there any detailed info on what this setting does? I am using an arcadevga card and in order for it to switch resolutions i have to tell gameex that im not using one by turning this setting off. Seems a bit counter-intuitive which is why it took me so long to figure out.

Sorry that this post doesn't offer you a solution or answer your question, but ArcadeVGA is rather obsolete now. Recent changes in MAME have also made it obsolete as well.

The better option is GroovyMAME w/ switchres and or CRT Emudriver.

I'd have to suggest getting GroovyMAME working and pointing GameEX to that. I'm willing to bet that it will dramatically improve your mame experience.

You can always try it in an empty folder so it doesn't mess with what you already have working.

7 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

What OS are you running?

Windows 10 Pro x64

4 hours ago, B2K24 said:

Sorry that this post doesn't offer you a solution or answer your question, but ArcadeVGA is rather obsolete now. Recent changes in MAME have also made it obsolete as well.

The better option is GroovyMAME w/ switchres and or CRT Emudriver.

I'd have to suggest getting GroovyMAME working and pointing GameEX to that. I'm willing to bet that it will dramatically improve your mame experience.

You can always try it in an empty folder so it doesn't mess with what you already have working.

Problem with that is that I have an actual arcade monitor and ive been running it for almost 10 years with arcadevga with excellent results. Not sure how this could make the experience any better than it has been for me. I am curious though as to what changes MAME has made to make it "obsolete."

One thing is MAME has dropped ddraw which ArcadeVGA depends on for the custom resolutions and refresh rates that it can support. Another thing is ArcadeVGA only supports fixed resolutions and refresh rates as listed here

Many games exist in MAME that run at non fixed or decimal values. 60.606061 Hz or 54.706840 Hz

GroovyMAME is just the all-around better option with the proper hardware.