All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PinballX not releasing media files for writing

CloudHead

Hi, first post for me around here so, well... hello.

I've been toying around with an idea over the last few days. I've been writing a tiny program in Python that would

1/execute with LaunchAfter event

2/fetch whatever high scores are available for the table that's been exited

3/generate a nice png for displaying either to the topper or overlay it on the existing backglass

4/write the result in the correct media location

It's running pretty well but it appears that PinballX does not close the handle on files currently displaying in the background while running tables. I.E: the playfield, backglass, topper are locked and cannot be written to (until another game select happens in PinballX). I was wondering if there was any specific reason for this ?

Thanks,

CloudHead.

I am using a freeware, unlocker 1.9.2 at this point to free the files from PinballX so I can write over them.

This feels hacky at best, but it works.

I'd rather have PinballX free the media files when it launches a table...

While working on this little project of mine, I noticed that there is a lot of table for which PinballX does not write a TXT hiscore file - though they are reported as supported by pinemhi.exe. It seems quite a few of them had their name changed in pinmame since pinemhi's release.

I know detect this and write a proper score txt for these as well.

Here is how my backglass overlay looks now:

Fish Tales (Williams 1992).png