All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] MAME system pack invalid ROM path

paul4tune

I believe that part of your problem is that you have everything installed to C:\Users\paul4tune\Desktop\games\GameEx\DEMO\. Tom is correct.

Certain areas are much more protected by Windows than others. Generally anything under c:\USers, c:\Program Files, etc. You should really consider installing GameEx to C:\GameEx and setting gameex.exe to run as admin. You should also consider installing MAME elsewhere other than C:\Users\paul4tune\Desktop\games\GameEx\DEMO\, such as c:\emulators\MAME\ and your ROM path to c:\ROMS\MAME\, your snaps and other media under c:\Assets\MAME\. 

You are going to have to roll up the sleeves to get this cleaned up. 

1 hour ago, Draco1962 said:

I believe that part of your problem is that you have everything installed to C:\Users\paul4tune\Desktop\games\GameEx\DEMO\. Tom is correct.

Certain areas are much more protected by Windows than others. Generally anything under c:\USers, c:\Program Files, etc. You should really consider installing GameEx to C:\GameEx and setting gameex.exe to run as admin. You should also consider installing MAME elsewhere other than C:\Users\paul4tune\Desktop\games\GameEx\DEMO\, such as c:\emulators\MAME\ and your ROM path to c:\ROMS\MAME\, your snaps and other media under c:\Assets\MAME\. 

You are going to have to roll up the sleeves to get this cleaned up. 

thanks for the reply initially that's where I installed it thinking there would be a problem and I've also run the install as admin but it still didn't work and without install instructions, i can't follow the letter to the T 

2 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

Again, not trying to argue with you but the MAME system pack is designed to work with a full MAME set. I cant really say much more that that, sorry.

can you at least PM me as i dont have a clue what your talking about, im not sure what a full MAME set is, and im still no further on from installing 

thank you 

A full MAME set means a full collection of ROMS. Your ROM version must match the version of MAME. Finally, you need to make sure that MAME is working outside of GameEx first before setting up within GameEx to run through it.

11 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

A full MAME set means a full collection of ROMS. Your ROM version must match the version of MAME. Finally, you need to make sure that MAME is working outside of GameEx first before setting up within GameEx to run through it.

re-installed GAMEEX into the C: directory i can run MAME independently from GAMEEX  but im getting invalid system pack path from the system pack installer 

no i haven't moved them they are in the same folder i originally extracted them all system pack files are extracted in a folder on my desktop and gameex path C:\GameEx  rom path C:\Emulation\ROMs i know MAME is working fine as i played a game on it last night 

2 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Can you please try extracting them to a different location, such as a folder on your c drive instead of your desktop and correct the paths in Setup Wizard accordingly?

back to incorrect rom path, i moved all zip files to C:\System Pack and extracted them so all the files in that folder are MAME_GameEx_System_Pack.zip 001 to 011 Emulators, Installs, Media. I right clicked the Mame System Pack Installer run as admin chose my GameEx folder C:\GameEx then my rom folder C:\Emulation\ROMs and get Invalid ROM Path 

3 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

Again, question goes back to do you have a full MAME set?  Does 005.zip or 005.7z exist in C:\Emulation\ROMS? Are all the MAME Roms located in C:\Emulation\ROMS? What is in this folder?

just 3 empty folder HBMAME, MAME, MAME32 but ive already tried moving all zips inside that folder and still nothing 

According to the utility you are missing some files, namely 005.zip. This is what the utility checks for to validate a proper mame set.  If you want to work around it - just create a dummy 005.zip file in the folder.

Again, unless something drastic changed with MAME you do not have a full MAME set in that folder.

3 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

According to the utility you are missing some files, namely 005.zip. This is what the utility checks for to validate a proper mame set.  If you want to work around it - just create a dummy 005.zip file in the folder.

Again, unless something drastic changed with MAME you do not have a full MAME set in that folder.

soon as I put a dummy zip folder name 005 it completed thanks for helping