All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[NEWS] GameEx 14.90

Tom Speirs

A major new feature for developers in this release. Introducing AddIns.

Addins allow you to programmatically create your own modules (lists and menus) and play, list and launch anything..

You can for example create your own video or multimedia modules somewhat similar to how some Kodi AddOns work.

It's not overly complicated to get started and there is a full example available here.

They are also now part of the official GameEx repository.

I am happy to answer any questions.

View the full article

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I glanced at it last night and I don't know what to do with it. I need an idea first I think, or some simple project to get my bearings.

20 minutes ago, Adultery said:

I glanced at it last night and I don't know what to do with it. I need an idea first I think, or some simple project to get my bearings.

What about something like the LastFM Media Scraper?

Unless you wanted to develop your own jukebox or display deep content with menus and lists from LastFM - that would fit better into a PlugIn rather than an AddIn.

Addins In simple terms allow custom menus and lists and allow you to run any code when items from those lists or menus are selected such as launch something or play a media file, or load another list.

A scraper would work as a plugin, where it would download artwork as you are navigating.

Just install the example from the repository manager to see what it is.

Here are several examples I can think of.

1. http://tags.hfc-essentials.com/tags.php your tag viewing page would work as an addin.

2. An interface for an archive.org collection.

3. Any kind of feed, top 10, or list.

4. Interfacing GameEx with another database. For example Gamebase support in GameEx I think could be created as an addin.

5. GameEx High Score lists etc.

All of these are good suggestions. I was thinking about embedding a media player, but all of these seem more approachable to me.

I think I'll start with a menu for the High Score comp, though. Should be able to harness a good amount of test users for that. I have a pretty good idea of how that will work.

I'm interested in a Last.FM plugin though, but I don't know how I can hook the menu list through there. Another project for another day.

• 2 weeks later...