All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Galaga '88

hansolo77

September-October 2017 GOTM Winner: forest4585 - 233,100 (link)

Galaga 88
Galaga 88 Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 forest4585 233,100 forest4585's Hi-Score Entry
2 ExedExes 157,580 ExedExes's Hi-Score Entry
3 patrickfx 152,110 patrickfx's Hi-Score Entry
4 Cynicaster 124,810 Cynicaster's Hi-Score Entry
5 GimmeClassics 113,420 GimmeClassics's Hi-Score Entry
6 Mame Offender 106,960 Mame Offender's Hi-Score Entry
7 Luigimaker 104,480 Luigimaker's Hi-Score Entry
8 rtkiii 100,990 rtkiii's Hi-Score Entry
9 Floyd Turbo 95,460 Floyd Turbo's Hi-Score Entry
10 hansolo77 88,310 hansolo77's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by hansolo77: 01-06-2019

plus10.jpg

1. millerbrad - 81,210 (link)

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Galaga '88:

ROMSet: Galaga88
Service Mode: Off
Auto Data Sampling: Off
Internal Settings
-----------------
Type: C
Flip: On
Fighter: 3
Continue: Off
Extend: C
Select: On
Special Note: Bonus ships are awarded at 40K, 120K & 240K.

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting your hi-score: :link:

Galaga '88 (ギャラガ'88 Gyaraga 'Eiti Eito) is a 1987 fixed shooter arcade game by Namco. It is the third sequel for Galaxian (following Galaga, and Gaplus). It features significantly improved graphics over the previous games in the series, including detailed backgrounds, larger enemies and greater ship details. Although it was well received, fewer cabinets of this game were produced than of Galaga and Gaplus. The game runs on Namco System 1 hardware. First ported on the NEC PC Engine, it was later released on the North American TurboGrafx-16 under the name Galaga '90 and the Sega Game Gear in Japan under the name of Galaga'91 (ギャラガ'91 Gyaraga 'Nainti Wan), and in Europe under the name of Galaga 2.

- Quote from Wikipedia

• Like 1

Here are some tips that  I learned so far from playing:

1.) Get a Triple Fighter as soon as possible.  It definitely helps especially when it comes to the challenge stages which brings me to 

2.) Memorize the challenge stage.  You get  a 10,000 bonus from a perfect stage.  

3.) Be sure to collect the capsules to warp.  You get a 10,000 point bonus from doing this. 

4.) On the stages that have rocks, you can use them as shields which helps.  Learn the patterns of the enemies.

That's all I have for now.  I made past the first boss and almost to dimension 2 I think is what it's called.  

IMG_3116.JPG

• Like 1

I hope to get a score posted up soon.  Been a busy week because of the Labor Day (US) holiday and being "1st of the month".  If you've never worked grocery retail before, let me tell ya.  1st of the month means welfare checks.  So you get all those crazy people who SHOULD BE WORKING coming in to do their month's worth of shopping.  It's madhouse crazy for about a week then they disappear till next month.  I hate it.  Usually the first 2 days are the worst, but since we had a holiday too, it's been a real mess trying to get everything back in stock.  Not to mention a lot of college football games started this past weekend too.  UHG!!! And guess who's not had a day off since last Tuesday?  It's all good though.  Come the 10th I'll finally be receiving that top out pay raise (+ $5/hr) I should have gotten 2 years ago.  I'm already making more than I ever have in my life, and now I'll REALLY be bringing it in.  Although truth be told, after taxes it'll probably still be the same.  :wacko:

Updated OP, DB, RSS

12 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

I hope to get a score posted up soon.  Been a busy week because of the Labor Day (US) holiday and being "1st of the month".  If you've never worked grocery retail before, let me tell ya.  1st of the month means welfare checks.  So you get all those crazy people who SHOULD BE WORKING coming in to do their month's worth of shopping.  It's madhouse crazy for about a week then they disappear till next month.  I hate it.  

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Congrats on the raise...$5 an hour raise is really awesome!  But honestly I could not work those 2 days every month...some I am sure need the help...but man I bet a lot abuse this.   I'd freak out.  Especially those rolling up with T-Bones and Porterhouse steaks.....hats off to you...i couldn't tolerate it. :)

22 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

I hope to get a score posted up soon.  Been a busy week because of the Labor Day (US) holiday and being "1st of the month".  If you've never worked grocery retail before, let me tell ya.  1st of the month means welfare checks.  So you get all those crazy people who SHOULD BE WORKING coming in to do their month's worth of shopping.  It's madhouse crazy for about a week then they disappear till next month.  I hate it.  Usually the first 2 days are the worst, but since we had a holiday too, it's been a real mess trying to get everything back in stock.  Not to mention a lot of college football games started this past weekend too.  UHG!!! And guess who's not had a day off since last Tuesday?  It's all good though.  Come the 10th I'll finally be receiving that top out pay raise (+ $5/hr) I should have gotten 2 years ago.  I'm already making more than I ever have in my life, and now I'll REALLY be bringing it in.  Although truth be told, after taxes it'll probably still be the same.  :wacko:

Updated OP, DB, RSS

I feel your pain.  I worked in a grocery store in high school. I started as a bagger and later became a cashier.  People are crazy with what they use their food stamps for.  I really learned what customer service was in those days :-)

Spoiler

I appreciate the sympathy guys.  Aside from a few years doing call center work, and 6 months or so as a warehouse picker, grocery retail is just about all I've ever known.  I'm only 37, and started working in a store when I was 14.  I've seen everything.  It really bothers me seeing people completely break the rules and abuse things like food stamps, welfare, and even just handicapped parking spaces.  When we had the fire, I was unemployed.  I was looking for a job for 2 years, and it was getting harder and harder to find a job because in every interview the question came up "why haven't you worked for a year (1.5 years, 2 years)?"  So I was getting food stamps.  For somebody like me, taking the difficult path of relying on the good of the government to survive, it just didn't sit well with me.  When it was all said and done, because I was living with my Dad, they calculated the HOUSEHOLD income (so they included his Social Security Disability checks as income) and I got a measly $110 a month.  How are you supposed to live on that?  It was infuriating.. Dad's income was his own.  He paid into it for 40 years.   I was getting food stamps for ME.  But, the government didn't see it that way.  Then you turn it around, I have a job making decent enough money, and I see people abusing the system.  Everywhere you look you see women with a couple kids and nice cars and nice cell phones.  They come through your line and pull out their food stamp card.  I'm like "wtf".. they put it in the machine and I take a peak.  It shows their balance is like $3800.  They are in every other day, driving Escalade SUV's, talking on their $700 cell phones, their bratty kids not even in Kindergarten playing on tablets (saw a kid just today with a Switch and the mom paid with food stamps).  I remember having to jump through hoops to get my $110.  Provide them with an entire years worth of pay stubs from when I was working (52 pages), 5 years worth of back tax returns, monthly followups to prove I'm actively seeking employment, just for $110.  Then they cut it down to $70 when the poverty line changed.  Yet here's these people making $5-6k a month because they're single moms with kids.  I don't make that kinda money in 2-3 months.  There's just gotta be some under the table shenanigans happening.  All I ever saw working in the Jobs and Family Services department were rude as f^ck black women who were soooooo thrilled to be helping me, yet turn around and see they are laughing and saying "yeah that's right we gonna hook you up" to the black lady sitting at the next desk.  "What's that you say?  Single mother?  Here's $2k for that.  Oh, you have 5 kids?  That's good for another $500 for each kid.  Oh you don't have a car?  Here, talk to my man Darnell, he'll hook you up with a NICE car for like tree-fitty a month.  Oh you can't afford that?  Well shit girl, lemme just put a check in this box and we'll hook you up with a freebie from the donation center.  Oh don't worry, you can trade it in and get a new one in like 4 months.  Do you have a cell phone?  No?  Well here, Sprint has this special deal for people who qualify for food stamps.. a free iPhone 7 with unlimited talk/text/data a month.  Just give them this here card when you go to pick one up, and they'll hook you up."  Then I'm looking at MY case worker and she's got this disgusted looking smirk on her face: "According to our systems, you only qualify for $110 a month.  No cash assistance, no medical assistance."  I'm like "I'm unemployed, have been for 2 years, and this is all you can give me?"  "Sir, you're gonna have to relax before we call security.  These rules are set in place to protect the system from abusers.  I don't make the rules, I just follow them.  Your card will be refilled on the 15th of each month provided you return to our location for a follow up review every 3 months.  Your card will be mailed to you in 90 days.  Thanks, have a good day.  Next please!"  I swear to you, this is how it was for me.  I was eavesdropping on the lady next to me while the girl was putting all my info into the computer.  That girl next to me got ALL that stuff and I got shit.  It's because I'm a WHITE person, and because I'm a MAN.  I'm not a member of any minority groups, therefore I don't get the "special treatment".  It's because I won't raise a stink with people, and don't have the ability to yell out "Racial Discrimination!!"  It's all good though.  At least I'm not 400 pounds and have to deal with bringing up 5 kids on my own because their other parent killed somebody and is in jail for life now.  But if it were up to me, these people should get the same treatment I got.  They should have to buy their groceries from stores like Aldi, Dollar General, 99c store, etc that only sell cheap generic crap, or get their groceries from the food bank.  That's what I had to do.  And I was completely legit, doing nothing wrong and everything right.  Oh guess what?  Tonight is football night.  Better go in and clean out the store of all their chicken wings, ribs, subs, chips, and beer.  And I don't have to pay for none of it because Uncle Sam has my back.  The same is true for immigrants.  Mexican?  Somali?  Muslim?  Come on in!  The government will give you a car, a place to live, buy all your food, and you don't have to do a damn thing ever.  But see that guy over there (me)?  He has to work himself to the bone, make just enough money to buy the medication he needs so he doesn't kill himself, and live with his parents because he can't afford to move out.  But don't worry none, because you got REAL problems like being lazy and don't wanna walk so you park in the handicapped spot.  You don't even use a cane. 

GOD I HATE THIS COUNTRY AND MY LIFE

Not really, but I mean, come on.  The BMV doesn't even give driving tests to some immigrants because they don't even speak the same language.  I went in to renew my license and the teller was getting so pissed at the Somalian lady because she didn't understand "put your head on the visor to check your peripheral vision" so she just passed her and moved on to the next part of taking her picture.  What?!  I had to read letters on the card, say which light was blinking, verify I need glasses to drive, then tell them my height and weight...  This lady got a free walk because the teller just didn't want to deal with her.  I'd report it, but who do you report it to?  The BMV?  They could probably care less.  It's trivial, some white guy complaining about a Somalian getting a free driver's license.  But somebody somewhere has to care right?  I dunno.  I'm ready to quit and move to New Zealand. 

Sorry, guess I hit a nerve and ranted.  Feel free to read the above if you're in the mood for some laughs.  It's really pretty sad.  But that's life.

On a totally unrelated (to the spoiler but related to the thread) note.. I played a bit of Galaga '88 on my NESPi yesterday.  I played enough to realize I SUCK.  Didn't even make it past the first stage with the bugs flying in (not even in full formation yet).  Lost all my lives with them shooting at me.  LOL!

@hansolo77: I read your post of yesterday. I feel for you man. It's just not fair. I want to say: keep focusing on the things that make you feel happy and make you smile.

If playing arcade games makes you feel good focus on that. If you love watching sfcifi series do just that. Don't focus on things you can't change or make you feel bad. I know it's hard. I also have to tell myself to do just that. Sometimes it succeeds and sometimes it's hard.

Just keep remembering yourself to focus on the right things. We'll always share this cool hobby :) so that's already one thing that makes us feel good :).

~ GC

Han - I feel your pain.  I'm 41 and white...when I was 18/19 years old I did not get any scholarships or help from the government because my family was too rich.  I think they made 45k combined and had 3 kids.  I coulnd't even get a grant to pay for classes at IVY Tech...so I paid for school on my own...eventually dropped out and here I am today in IT.

Flash forward about 8 years when I am 26/27 and my sister who was 30/31 had two kids and her husband was in prision for killing someone.  
Full Ride to a private college!  All because she made fucking horrible choices and didnt work.  Guess what she went for like 2 semesters got bored and spent her tuition money on a laptop and other shit.

I remember being so disgusted with that crap....all because I didn't make bad decisions...and I was a white male.  In the end I decided never to rely on anything I couldn't control.  Sorry Han...it just sucks.

That 40k might be a typo from TwinGalaxies.  I just cut and pasted it.  If you go into your dip settings, and toggle the one for test mode, it will let you access the settings to verify when you reboot the machine.  Unless you went in here in the past on this machine, these default settings should be correct.

Updated OP, DB, RSS