All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Galaga '88

hansolo77

I was finally able to beat 100K AND MO's score B):P (sorry for the initials misstake. I hope you guys forgive me ;) )

Score: 113,420

@hansolo77: I've started updating the HS Forum images using imgbox. A weird move Photobucket stopped using 3rd party linking :wacko:. Anyway, I've updated the GX Leaderboard image and started updating the +10's images. I've also installed the newest version of HS Databasemanager and updated the game board and Leaderboard. One question though: I wasn't able to copy / paste the score url using "set url and generate". I got an error message...?

~ GC

Updated OP, DB, RSS, LB

galaga880009.png

• Like 1

@GimmeClassics Welcome back into the fray old buddy!  You might not need to do all the effort in changing the image hosts.  @Adultery sent me a PM a few days ago saying he was already in the process of moving them all over to his server, so we won't run into that 3rd party hosting limitation.  Hopefully you didn't do too much damage!  :wacko:  As for the boards, like I told Adultery, I was planning on updating all the board formats to the new version with higher resolution banners eventually.  I was kinda going about it one game at a time, as players posted up new scores.  I've been really busy with work and trying to get my life in order.  Going at it in bulk doing a bunch of games all at once just seemed like too big a task, but one here or there as needed was more manageable.  If you want, feel free to take up that task!  As for linking to the score post, it's still the same way for the most part.  You right click the icon in the post for "sharing" and select copy link.  Then in then DBM you click the button [SET URL], it pops up a window asking for the URL, paste it there, then the [GENERATE] button becomes available.  It then creates the correctly formatted Google Tiny URL.  Hit [OK] and it takes you back to the entry screen.  You were probably trying to paste the link straight into the SET URL field, which is the wrong way.  :)  As for updating the boards, it's still the same way.  You have to edit the OP, then erase all the board data (I've been trying to use Horizontal Rules (HR) to make it easier) between the name of the person who last updated, to the top.  Then you go into the SOURCE and paste the code the DBM generates.  Switch out of SOURCE and it should be good.  I try to cut everything above the first HR code, drop a line (pressing ENTER) and paste the new code above the HR code.  If you're updating a board that has a GOTM winner, you'll want to paste between the HR after the winner line, and before the HR after the board data.  I can show you if you need help.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed Galaga 88.  My preference is the original Galaga though.  I think Galaga 88 plays much harder than the original Galaga.  Enemy patterns and variety are more tough to follow and if you can’t maintain a triple fighter you’re screwed.

Well done everybody.  Thanks for participating this month!  I will update the threads tomorrow.  I had to go to bed early last night right after I got home from work.  I'm too exhausted now to mess with it.  But I will do it tomorrow I promise! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congrats to our resident Galaga master @forest4585 on his win of his first GOTM participation!  Nobody could beat his mighty submission of 233,100.  Way to go!  We all look forward to seeing if you can win more!  I think the 2 month competition is working nicely, and the polls confirm you guys want to keep it that way.  Next up: TMNT! 

Also just a quick reminder to those who may not know..  Even though this GOTM challenge is over, that doesn't mean you have to stop submitting scores for this game.  In fact, we encourage it.  It's awesome when we see somebody work hard at a game and come back and beat the #1 spot.  Will it be you?  Happy gaming!

Updated OP, DB, LB, RSS

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

A far cry from my best competition score in this. Back at Yolympics 2016, one of my teammates Hector (aka Fiy) took me to task on this game and basically told me to grind till I could ground no more. I did and ended up getting 451,300 (click for link to pic). I wish I had the INP I submitted for that, I might have to review it and see what I did right. But a month's worth of grinding in a competition like that makes you push hard. Here's a small sample of my potential.

ExedExes - 157,580

0000.png

I was never really any good at these SHMUPS.  My exposure, I remember, was blasting demon bats in Demon Attack on the Atari.  Then it was Galaxian.  I was the best in our family, but probably nowhere near the best in our city, let alone a global stage.  Galaga is one of those muscle memory games.  The mroe you play it, the better you get because you remember how the enemies appear on screen.  You can be prepared ahead of time to dodge them coming, or be lined up to kill them without moving much.  That's where the big scores come from.

Updated OP, DB, RSS