All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Galaga '88

hansolo77

I was able to warp all the way to dimension 3-8.  It is possible to warp multiple times and the game rewards you.  For example, I was able to warp at stage 3 and that took to me dimension 2 and then I warped again which gave me a bonus of 20000 and took me to dimension 3.  The downside to warping early and often is that the game difficulty goes up faster.  I've been able to get 154000 using this method, but I could do better memorizing the patterns.  

Question for you... at the beginning, we can choose 1 or 2 fighter. I choose 1 because i suppose its the rule. Is it ?

Nest question, how to change to dimension 2 ? I get to it sometimes but dont know why. Because when  we pick the kind of blue bomb ?

I made 118000 yesyerday 117000 with all my fighter then lost them all in couple of second. Difficulty change fast

Envoyé de mon SM-G920W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

There are no special rules or limitations over at TG that says you have to use just 1 fighter.  So for our little friendly comp, feel free to use 2 if it helps.  I also noticed, that for me the warps happen after the bonus stage if you have 2 of the blue orbs.  If you have 1 or 0, it won't work.  If you have 1 though, it does launch it.  I'll have to remember to watch the score to see if you get any bonus for having it.  But it looks like if you don't have 2, it launches the 1 you DO have to make you reset your allocation.

It is possible to get the orbs in 1-1 and 1-2(don't kill the blue enemies, they combine and you get an orb from them) which will then take you 2-3 where you get the orbs from the meteor and that will take you to 3-8.  You get 10,000 for the first warp and 20,000 after the second.  You need 2 orbs to warp.  I made it to the boss at 3-10 and the boss kicked my ass and I had 164,000.  Personally, this makes the game harder as you have to deal with tougher enemies sooner than you should.  So Galaga 88 is the original "Choose Your Own Adventure" :-)

21 hours ago, forest4585 said:

So Galaga 88 is the original "Choose Your Own Adventure" :-)

Not true.  :)  I loved those books when I was younger.  The first book published as part of the official series was published in 1979. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Choose_Your_Own_Adventure_books#Choose_Your_Own_Adventure

• Like 1

When I first started out, I had a really hard time figuring out the best way to navigate around the enemy fire.  I was dying all the time.  Then I actually had a good hour of free time and spent the time to really watch how it's working.  Now I am getting a lot better.  Still not as good as our top players, but I'm getting there.  This game (like most) really is a money grabber.  If your intentions are to get really good at the game, you'd need a LOT of money to keep pumping in quarters at the arcade to learn the nuances.  Thank goodness MAME is here.  :)

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• Like 1

I'm a big baseball nut, so I haven't been around much lately.  September baseball:  you can't beat it.

I will be giving Galago 88  a try soon.

MO

PS.  Go Stros!  ( Because of JV.)

On 18/09/2017 at 10:31 PM, forest4585 said:

It is possible to get the orbs in 1-1 and 1-2(don't kill the blue enemies, they combine and you get an orb from them) which will then take you 2-3 where you get the orbs from the meteor and that will take you to 3-8.  You get 10,000 for the first warp and 20,000 after the second.  You need 2 orbs to warp.  I made it to the boss at 3-10 and the boss kicked my ass and I had 164,000.  Personally, this makes the game harder as you have to deal with tougher enemies sooner than you should.  So Galaga 88 is the original "Choose Your Own Adventure" :-)

OK, thanks forest4585,  I just realize how to warp to other dimension earlier.  Did you observe that it's more easy at first level of each dimension rather then try to make all level at dimension1 by exemple  ? I found that, I make 152,110 more easily.  Did yo ucontrol your fire ?  I mean fire all the time or at the right moment ?  Maybe it's this to improve, I realize I miss a lot by fired all the time.

20171001_211657.jpg

Fun game, but I find that if I goof up early then there is no point in playing the rest of the game because I'll never top my score.  Regardless, I could never really understand the meteoric popularity of the original Galaga, and I enjoy this game much more.   

y4mnREEHp80VBoBggvIydtajJdRSuH6bQFRrHUvN

On 10/1/2017 at 9:36 PM, patrickfx said:

OK, thanks forest4585,  I just realize how to warp to other dimension earlier.  Did you observe that it's more easy at first level of each dimension rather then try to make all level at dimension1 by exemple  ? I found that, I make 152,110 more easily.  Did yo ucontrol your fire ?  I mean fire all the time or at the right moment ?  Maybe it's this to improve, I realize I miss a lot by fired all the time.

20171001_211657.jpg

Nice Score!  Yes I noticed that you can get a higher score by not warping, but you miss out on the warp bonus.  If you get a perfect on the challenge stage and warp you get 20,000 points.  I fire more at the moment then shoot all the time. Like the original Galaga, it’s all pattern based. Key is to learn how the enemies come down and position your ship in the right place.

23 hours ago, Cynicaster said:

Fun game, but I find that if I goof up early then there is no point in playing the rest of the game because I'll never top my score.  Regardless, I could never really understand the meteoric popularity of the original Galaga, and I enjoy this game much more.   

Theme music, baby!  :)  I honestly have found memories of Galaga....but I have plenty of other favorites that I would play before it.

Maybe Galaga'88 came out too late in arcade history?  Arcades were starting to die out, games were becoming more and more scarce and the costs to buy one were probably escalating.  Why spend more money on a limited run game to put in an arcade that may be closing in a year or so?  And if it's just another Galaga game, and you already have one, why get another one?  For the gamer, the first one was probably just the most popular because of it's simple longevity.

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

Maybe Galaga'88 came out too late in arcade history?  Arcades were starting to die out, games were becoming more and more scarce and the costs to buy one were probably escalating.  Why spend more money on a limited run game to put in an arcade that may be closing in a year or so?  And if it's just another Galaga game, and you already have one, why get another one?  For the gamer, the first one was probably just the most popular because of it's simple longevity.

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Something that made the original Galaga great at the arcade is that you could play a game of Galaga much longer than any other game which operators hated.  I talked to Walter Day last year at an expo and he said he was once kicked out of an arcade because he was counting games.  Owning these games was like owning a car and owners had a ton of money invested in them.  Their was a ton of competition back then.

13 hours ago, forest4585 said:

Something that made the original Galaga great at the arcade is that you could play a game of Galaga much longer than any other game which operators hated.  I talked to Walter Day last year at an expo and he said he was once kicked out of an arcade because he was counting games.  Owning these games was like owning a car and owners had a ton of money invested in them.  Their was a ton of competition back then.

what do you mean "Counting Games?"  Like he was counting the cabinets in an arcade?