All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

"Allow game launch?" Steam Issue Starting Tables

Stexe

I arrived up at Lake Erie for Labor Day weekend and just brought my general purpose Lenovo i5 laptop with built-in graphics. I've had Steam installed previously but I do not use this machine for any gaming. I just downloaded the latest PBX version and did a fresh install using the defaults. I disabled everything except FX2 and it launches perfectly. Loads any table I own or goes to the FX2 main menu if I do not own the table. Attached my logs.

This machine has the Founders Edition on it. Version 1703 build 15063.540

:wacko:

log.txt

PinballX.ini

Amazingly, FX2 actually runs not too horribly on the built in HD4000 chip.

UPDATE ON POST BELOW - Steam updated with a new package and the error is now back.

Another problem is it is really difficult to launch games from PinballX to just default Pinball FX2 or Pinball Arcade itself due to the automatic key inputs it sends. I've asked for that to be removed or an ability to manually edit it specifically in case this happened... but no luck with that change.

28 minutes ago, starwolf96 said:

I don't get the steam window and I didn't change anything it only happened once. But, fx2 says steam client isn't running and exits

You probably installed them in a non-default directory and it can't find them. I had that issue when I installed Steam and/or Pinball FX2 in a different directory than normal.

As far as I know setting it up like this will give you that message

[PinballFX2]
Enabled=True
WorkingPath=D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Pinball FX2
Executable=Pinball FX2.exe
Parameters=-applaunch 226980 "[TABLEFILE]"
Process=Pinball FX2.exe
Rotate=False
WaitFor=-1

8 minutes ago, Carny_Priest said:

If you have issues with PinballX integrated support then have PinballX launch FX2 as an Other System, Custom type.

Outside of that sounds like problem came with a Steam update. Can't confirm myself because my cabinet is not currently working.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I've explained before in the Requested Feature post, I ran into a lot more issues using Other System than I did simply ignoring the automatic key presses.

Maybe I'll have to do that with the new bug and just hope it doesn't mess up more. But when it was launching tables it wouldn't format properly and wouldn't allow Autohot Key commands or other stuff.

33 minutes ago, Carny_Priest said:

If you have issues with PinballX integrated support then have PinballX launch FX2 as an Other System, Custom type.

Outside of that sounds like problem came with a Steam update. Can't confirm myself because my cabinet is not currently working.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No matter which way I tried to launch FX2 from pinballx it gives you that same Error if you remove this  "[TABLEFILE]" it
 takes you to the grid without the Error

This work fine last week , But this week i started getting the Error Allow game launch

Steam-2.jpg.98bc1f61f6a2ab92a9f5af60230ec78c.jpg

Alright I might be missing something.  Outhere I do have it set up that way, so it must be wrong. So originally I had it right I guess but still wouldn't start. This is all I have done along with added the fx2 table in game manager. Are you suppose to run some kind of auto hotkey program. I don't know anything about that??

I was reading these parameter errors are a security "feature"/"bug"  that prevents third party apps from passing parameters. Maybe Tom can fix?

If you remove the [TABLEFILE] parameter it will launch FX2 into the main menu. Naturally, you cannot select an individual table this way.

Steam customer support directed me to this post as a potential work around and passed my message on to the right department.

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/458604254465948374/?ctp=4#c1458455461489248764

I don't have time to test that at the moment or to see if it would even work with PinballX, but figured I'd pass it on.

Hopefully Steam comes up with a way to disable the message in the settings soon.

It would be workable (though ugly) as is, if the coder(s) at Steam knew anything about Windows frame Z order.  Maybe they do and don't care. The dialog box is buried under PBX so it is impossible to click on to keep going.

Why doesn't Steam let the user add a command line parameter that in effect says, "Yes, I trust this third party app. Go ahead and let it pass any parameters."

I've been at this a year and I am really sick of things getting broken. We all are! Either it's Steam, Windoze, display drivers or the individual programs like Pinball Arcade or FX2 causing it. In no way is this Tom's fault.

I'm at the point where I will just call up PBA, FX2 and Zaccaria directly from PBX and use their menus for table selection.  I'll let PBX do Future and Visual Pinball for individual tables on the front end.

For now, I added the [TABLEFILE] parameter back in and set PBX to windowed instead of full screen. I pulled PBX from a corner to stretch over most of the monitor. I also have Steam up and running in the Windows taskbar. When launching a table, PBX minimizes and I can press the Steam dialog box to allow the parameter to run. PBX then loads the table.

A workaround until the smart guys fix this or come up with an elegant workaround.

So far I see on request for pinballx.ini and log.txt files after the error occurs as requested. Can the rest of you having this issue please provide copies of your files so that Tom has a variety to look at? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

So far I see on request for pinballx.ini and log.txt files after the error occurs as requested. Can the rest of you having this issue please provide copies of your files so that Tom has a variety to look at? Thanks!

Why? It is based due to an update on Steam and has no relevance to PinballX functionality.

If Tom added the ability to remove or customize inputs sent from PinballX based on selection, like I've been asking for almost a year, we would already have a work around. We could have PinballX load a game, say Pinball FX2, and then based on the selection it would automatically send key presses to select the correct game. Completely working around Steam's change. But again no one listens... oh well.