All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

"Allow game launch?" Steam Issue Starting Tables

Stexe

23 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

Not exactly sure what you are asking.

Attention, the following lines can be difficult to read because of my bad english knowledge. ;-)

I mean, who has written a bug report,.. on? in? for? to? against? i dont know,.. ..Steam? It's a Steam popup window, so Steam is the owner of this Problem. It's quite simple, or isnt it? Just write a bug report and wait a few days until they have fixed it.

Now Steam has fixed it, and all the time spent in searching for a solution was wasted.

1 hour ago, MikujanGurejwitch said:

Just for my curiosity. Someone here that had spend time for writing a bug report on steam (the source of that problem)? Or most people here only wasted time to find a workaround :-)

Both. Not knowing how long Steam would take to fix, if ever, the script guys got to work for a fix. Was that wrong in your opinion?

27 minutes ago, MikujanGurejwitch said:

Attention, the following lines can be difficult to read because of my bad english knowledge. ;-)

I mean, who has written a bug report,.. on? in? for? to? against? i dont know,.. ..Steam? It's a Steam popup window, so Steam is the owner of this Problem. It's quite simple, or isnt it? Just write a bug report and wait a few days until they have fixed it.

Now Steam has fixed it, and all the time spent in searching for a solution was wasted.

It's a hobby. It's all a waste of time. Don't worry about it.

54 minutes ago, MikujanGurejwitch said:

Thanks for the clarification. One could say be patient and say "let's see if Steam will respond." One can say "I have the ability to fix this, try this script I made." If you have spent much time in this hobby, you become a little gun shy of waiting for someone else to fix something. Farsight made changes in the GUI for Pinball Arcade with no intent on fixing the problems it they created. They hemmed and hawed and made excuses but bottom line, they had no intention of making any fixes. It was up to the hobbyists tto find a way of making it work.

26 minutes ago, hlr53 said:

Was that wrong in your opinion?

Of course not. (not completely ;-) )
I just saw so many people here they working very hard to find a solution but nobody wrote that he have sent a bug report. IMO, inform the guilty and give him some time to clear. This saves lifetime. And there are so many other tables that we can play meanwhile.

@Carny_Priest: I know what you mean, and i agree. It is only that you can play another table until the real culprit (steam) has solved the problem. You should not accept everything that software companies do. So, writing a bug report and relaxing until the problem is fixed seems the better way (for me). You know what i mean?

I don't know about other people, but I spent many hours coming up with my workaround and when I did, it made me very happy.  This is a hobby for me.  All of it.  That includes fixing problems.  I'm still using my workaround and am not 100% positive I'll go back to the Steam version because with my workaround, if they break it again, I won't be affected in any way. :)

• Like 1

I'm the same. I'd much rather get to work solving a problem. For me it's the satisfaction of doing something, not the worry of someone else making it right later. It's like solving a puzzle even though you can probably find the picture somewhere else.

But as was put so beautifully before, if you've been in this hobby for more than 5 minutes, it becomes apparent that waiting for the product owner is almost never the solution. Steam was a pleasant (and extremely rare) exception. I was impressed at their responsiveness, and I'm sure they had no idea it was causing an issue at the time they implemented it.

8 hours ago, MikujanGurejwitch said:

Well, first, that I did was to inform Steam about this, but it was very unlikely, that they would react so fast, so I started to implement my workaround. Sounds logically ;) ?

But I know, what you mean! I am professional software developer, and I hate nothing more, when users suffer and rant about a bug without informing me, although I could fix it in a few seconds!

13 hours ago, TerryRed said:

With FX3 coming out, I pray to got that it doesn't screw up FX2 tables being able to use DOFLinx....as we finally have addressable leds (MX) working with Future Pinball and FX2.....and it is glorious!

Nothing says one has to migrate their tables to FX3. Not all are going to be upgradeable to FX3 anyway. Hopefully Tom will be able to add an integrated Pinball FX3 section to keep things separated. 

10 hours ago, jevansoh said:

I only have 5 lights and two strobes...I want this!!!

Even if you already have 5 flashers at the back of your cabinet's playfield screen, you can still have side strips and a single strip at the back, and DOF will just scale the effects to whatever you have! With a single strip in the back, you won't see letters,etc but you still will get a single line version of most of the effects....  or you can just add side strips.

I'm familiar with 5050 RGB strips, but I assume these strips are different.  I bought my cab from VPCabs so I didn't build it myself....Venturing into OT talk here, but quickly, could you tell me what type of strips I'd use and where I'd plug them in?  I don't even know if there is additional space on whatever board they used for more items, but I sure would like to have a back strip and side strips!

54 minutes ago, jevansoh said:

I'm familiar with 5050 RGB strips, but I assume these strips are different.  I bought my cab from VPCabs so I didn't build it myself....Venturing into OT talk here, but quickly, could you tell me what type of strips I'd use and where I'd plug them in?  I don't even know if there is additional space on whatever board they used for more items, but I sure would like to have a back strip and side strips!

These are ws2811 addressable leds. They are very different. You can get them a few per meter or many per meter. I have 144/meter, the most (and costliest) you can get.

You basically use a Teensy 3.2 Controller, with Octo WS2811 adapter, a 5V power supply (I use a 5V 60A for around 1000 ws2811 leds), network cable that connects from Octo adapter to the strips, and 5V supply at different points of the strips depending on how may leds your are using.  Teensy plugs into PC via usb. Software that drives it is DOF (Direct Output Framework R3)

Here's a link to give you an idea of the hardware (not including the 5V supply)

https://www.pjrc.com/store/octo28_adaptor.html

This page has an older tutorial that can help you out, as well as some others.

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2180-addressable-rgbs/?page=18