All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

"Allow game launch?" Steam Issue Starting Tables

Stexe

This problem is affecting many users.  I know it's due to a Steam update and not the fault of anyone at PinballX but I hope you guys will still look into a work around or fix because I, for one, am not comfortable with AHK and have no experience with scripting and wouldn't know where to begin.

I hope we can get a fix... I'll try to get my log file and .ini file off my cabinet (have to go hook up a keyboard and mouse) and provide it if it might help.

Thanks,

--J

• Like 1

@stexe

Don't rope me into this. I code my scripts not because of deficiencies with the software but because my hardware configuration requires it. I have a Pinball 2000 style cab which tends to require helper apps to flip the in-game DMD display for projection on the playfield. These extra activities can make my launch process incompatible with how integrated support functions (auto-keying, etc.) I was merely providing an example that shows that a custom system type can be used to launch specific FX2 tables outside of PinballX's integrated support for FX2. And I was explaining how one could modify the script to bypass the Steam dialog box.

Integrated support seems to work for most users, and I think for a front-end that is icing on the cake. If you just want a front-end to put on a pretty face, launch a table, and then get the hell out of the way without automation, PinballX can do that too through its custom system type.

In the meantime, I hope everyone affected is complaining to Steam. That's the source of your trouble. Not here. 

On 9/1/2017 at 7:41 PM, Stexe said:

Steam customer support directed me to this post as a potential work around and passed my message on to the right department.

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/458604254465948374/?ctp=4#c1458455461489248764

I don't have time to test that at the moment or to see if it would even work with PinballX, but figured I'd pass it on.

Hopefully Steam comes up with a way to disable the message in the settings soon.

Has anyone tried that yet? Also, Steam support said to post all your concerns here: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/10/

I assume if enough people complain they will take a look at it. Or not, who knows.

Hello 

I use now the grid and it's ok for me.

The resultat is the same and my friends think it sympa because the cursor move alone and choose the table 

Tom thank for the great pinball x . Thank s for the job

Can i change the speed of the moovment cursor , for me it too slow . I have search the file  but nothing ...  i dont know where is write ..... pinballx.ini.... no found.....

If you can tell me please

And sorry for my bad english..... 

Look my pinballx cabinet !!! This is old video ... 3 month

• Like 1

Ok, I found a temporary workaround.

I'll explain the workaround then explain why it is only temporary for me.

I downloaded Pinball FX 2 Stand Alone version, without having to use Steam.  My cabinet is running Windows 7 and I could only find one "version" that worked without crashing.  I don't believe this forum will allow me to say where I got it from, so that in itself should be a hint as to what I had to do.

I pointed PinballX to the new directory I installed it in, which is C:\Pinball FX2 and for parameters I simply put "[tablefile]" and it loads perfectly.

I ran the program from the installation directory first and went into settings to change it to rotate 270 degrees.

This "version" already has cabinet mode unlocked, although I do have a code issued by Zen, I didn't have to enter it.  Unfortunately, the cabinet mode features menu doesn't exist on this "version" so I am unable to get the DMD to display on my DMD monitor.  That's why this is only temporary for me.

If I could find a legit version to download that works on Windows 7, I would gladly use the provided code to unlock the cabinet features and set up my DMD properly.

For now, it's launching tables directly as I wish through PinballX and working perfectly.

If anyone knows of a legitimate download for the retail version (the program is FREE, only the tables cost money, I am NOT looking for free tables as I already purchased them legally) that will work Stand Alone in Windows 7, please point me to it.  I searched and searched and couldn't find anything except for Windows 8 and WIndows 10.

Hope this helps.  Let me know what you think.

--J

Unfortunately, that didn't work for me.  I had that file in my Steam version so I just copied it over to the new installation and when I did that, it broke loading tables automatically.  Now just the grid comes up.

If I could find the legit install for Windows 7, I believe I could get this working, but I've searched and searched and cannot find the install package that will work for Windows 7 Stand Alone, without Steam.

If anyone can provide a link, I'm happy to test more, set it up, and provide my progress reports here.

For now, other than the DMD not being on the DMD monitor, it's at least loading tables, though...Once I delete the dmd cfg file, that is.

Thanks,

--J

I've made noises a couple of places regarding the whole "ARE YOU SURE YOU MEANT TO DO THAT" that's making it so I don't want Steam on my future cabinet. I even emailed the person at Zen who got me my cabinet mode code to let them know that this is actually an issue that might effect my DLC purchases. But, since it's the holiday weekend, I'm not expecting much response until at least Tuesday. Unless I can figure out automating clicking the OK (the default is "Cancel", so just a return doesn't do it), they're basically leaving it with "Run three DIFFERENT front ends", which is unreasonable for the way I want the cabinet, and 6-8 tables (Pro Pinball and selections from Zaccaria) is not enough to justify having the cabinet internet connected.

That's the other thing I was thinking....Does anyone have an older version?  If so, we could install it and disable automatic updates if there is a way to do that, until or unless they get this fixed.  Otherwise, I'll have to be careful about when it's connected to the internet.

20 minutes ago, jevansoh said:

That's the other thing I was thinking....Does anyone have an older version?  If so, we could install it and disable automatic updates if there is a way to do that, until or unless they get this fixed.  Otherwise, I'll have to be careful about when it's connected to the internet.

Unfortunately, they made that change before I got the machine intended for the pincab, so I'm likely hosed unless they change it back or someone finds a way around it. I did try to autohotkey around it, but it doesn't seem to take the click that way.

Can you upload your ini and log file as requested to maybe help Tom out?  I intend to do so as well as soon as I get a mouse/keyboard hooked back up. Forgot to do it earlier.  I sure hope someone can figure out some work around.  I'm getting crashes now after trying to fool with the DMD but I really did have it working fine.  Hopefully I can get back to that point at least and just not have a dedicated DMD window until someone figures something out.

FYI.  I just got this from Support at Zen Studios

"

thank you for reporting this, we have just been made aware of this issue ourselves today.

We are looking into it, if there is a way for us to solve this, or contact Steam to make use of the really cool cabinets a lot of you have built

"

While we all try to find a way through this by adapting to the changes, I also suggest everyone contacting [email protected] and reporting this bug that makes pinball cabinet use of the Zen Studios product so difficult.  I suggest being firm, but treating it as a bug that stops what we all bought and enjoy from working.  I hope they can help to get it sorted out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DDH said:

FYI.  I just got this from Support at Zen Studios

"

thank you for reporting this, we have just been made aware of this issue ourselves today.

We are looking into it, if there is a way for us to solve this, or contact Steam to make use of the really cool cabinets a lot of you have built

"

While we all try to find a way through this by adapting to the changes, I also suggest everyone contacting [email protected] and reporting this bug that makes pinball cabinet use of the Zen Studios product so difficult.  I suggest being firm, but treating it as a bug that stops what we all bought and enjoy from working.  I hope they can help to get it sorted out.

Zen Studios has been very upfront and supportive of the pincab community needs than Farsight (Pinball Arcade) and are definitely due some respect and patience.

I have not seen this Steam prompt with any other games so it may be a coding change on their end that is triggering the prompt. IDK with any certainty, but hopefully they will get to the bottom of it soon.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

It's seemingly any game that you pass command-line args to outside of Steam. We're only seeing it there because it's probably the only game we pass args to. I'm sure Steam added this prompt because this is not a conventional way to launch Steam games and some game somewhere was confusing people.

They should at least add a check box to not display the message again... This (and really any prompt) is also annoying if you use a Steam Link.

Here is my current workaround.

Steps:

• Install AutoHotKey (if not already installed)
  • Unzip attached PBFX2_Starter directory and copy it to a folder of your choice (don't forget to set correct path in PinballX afterwards!)
  • Compile PBFX2_Starter.ahk to create the corresponding exe
  • Set your Steam path (steamPath) in settings.ini
  • Important: If your confirmation dialog window title is not "Allow game launch?", please modify it in settings.ini, my German Steam version has (of course) a German window title
  • Set PBFX2 start parameters in PinballX (see screenshot below)
  • Enjoy your new/old starting behaviour without the confirmation dialog

PinballX_PBFX2_Starter.JPG

Edit: New ZIP attached, I had to change the case of the confWinTitle variable!

PBFX2_Starter.zip

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jevansoh said:

How do you compile an EXE?  If the settings are set in ini's and the EXE is the same for everyone, could you go ahead and do that and attach it?  I'd love to try it. :)  Thanks!

You should do it by yourself, it is quite easy:

After the installation of AutoHotKey simply click the AHK file with the right mouse button and choose "compile", ready ;)

First of all Ginsonic: Vielen Dank!

I am such a AHK noob. First time user. Downloaded and installed. I dropped the PBFX2_starter folder into a new directory I created called:    c:\ Tools

I opened the script with AutoHotkey Unicode 64-bit (which is how I installed AHK - is this wrong?) and I am getting a compile error. It is attached along with Settings.ini

It's having problems with the path.

EDIT 21:50 hrs I didn't have Steam running. Will try again tomorrow. Going to bed 05:00 comes early.

59af1d1e3d504_scripterror.jpg.7c14ce11ff5389fc7de1952c42c6d1fa.jpg

Settings.ini

@hlr53: You're welcome !

6 hours ago, hlr53 said:

I am such a AHK noob. First time user. Downloaded and installed. I dropped the PBFX2_starter folder into a new directory I created called:    c:\ Tools

Correct !

I opened the script with AutoHotkey Unicode 64-bit (which is how I installed AHK - is this wrong?) and I am getting a compile error. It is attached along with Settings.ini

No, if you doubleclicked the AHK you did not compile it, you actually started it ! To compile, please click with right mouse button, then choose "compile script". This creates the EXE file.

It's having problems with the path.

Yes, it definitely has ! Please remove the trailing backslash from the Variable "steamPath" in settings.ini, then it should work !

steamPath="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\"  ->  steamPath="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam"