All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

"Allow game launch?" Steam Issue Starting Tables

Stexe

10 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

Really, I thought I was pretty famous for listening and implementing requests and fixing bugs within hours?

More like "people have short memories" rather than "no one listens" ;)

Maybe others, but not this request.

10 hours ago, Stexe said:

Why? It is based due to an update on Steam and has no relevance to PinballX functionality.

If Tom added the ability to remove or customize inputs sent from PinballX based on selection, like I've been asking for almost a year, we would already have a work around. We could have PinballX load a game, say Pinball FX2, and then based on the selection it would automatically send key presses to select the correct game. Completely working around Steam's change. But again no one listens... oh well.

Why? Because differences in OS, differences in how Pinball FX2 are configured may generate slightly different messages in the log file with the same external result. This makes it easier for the programmer (Tom) to narrow down and fix for different configurations at one time to ensure a good release.

So your choice is to be an ass when asked to contribute the requested files or provide them in hopes that they are helpful? They may not be needed, but often are, even if it is a 3rd party program (i.e., Steam) causing the problem.

4 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

Why? Because differences in OS, differences in how Pinball FX2 are configured may generate slightly different messages in the log file with the same external result. This makes it easier for the programmer (Tom) to narrow down and fix for different configurations at one time to ensure a good release.

So your choice is to be an ass when asked to contribute the requested files or provide them in hopes that they are helpful? They may not be needed, but often are, even if it is a 3rd party program (i.e., Steam) causing the problem.

That has nothing to do with Steam giving an error message or ways around it. But okay, call me names when you don't understand what is going on.

For script doctors:

I don't use PinballX's integrated support for FX2 because of automated key strokes, fixed delays, and general lack of control. Fact is, I only use the built-in Future Pinball system slot. Everything else I launch with AutoHotkey scripts under custom system types. Presuming that clicking on the Steam warning dialog is all that is needed to get the table launched. I would use AutoHotkey's AU3_Spy app to identify the dialog window that the Steam client displays. Then I would code a couple of lines that would close it or click it when it appears after launching FX2.

I would fix this for myself and share it except that my cab is down, and I don't have a good way to test. So, have a little perspective. There are worse things to have happen to your pinball playing experience than Steam throwing up an obstacle. 

My script is configured specifically for my machine. Ex: I use antimicro to map an exit key as my input controller is a gamepad emulator. I also use dmdext to mirror the DMD. But the script may be easily tailored for other configurations. Stripping to essentials this script would be about a dozen lines of code. Settings are under key System_1 in Pinballx.ini.

Good luck.

LaunchFX2.ahk

PinballX.ini

• Like 1

@Stexe For someone who profits off of a grey area, you'd think you might be a little more understanding and accommodating.

It would literally take a few minutes to have AHK press that button for you. Maybe you should have put a bounty on your feature request, considering you came in full of piss and vinegar over a feature request you made a year ago that didn't get implemented. Money talks... I don't have to tell you that.

Remind me, how much did PinballX cost you again?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Adultery said:

@Stexe For someone who profits off of a grey area, you'd think you might be a little more understanding and accommodating.

It would literally take a few minutes to have AHK press that button for you. Maybe you should have put a bounty on your feature request, considering you came in full of piss and vinegar over a feature request you made a year ago that didn't get implemented. Money talks... I don't have to tell you that.

Remind me, how much did PinballX cost you again?

Yay for more toxicity. PinballX cost me nothing directly (although a lot in time), but I don't even really use it. This is all for others.

I'm aware who it's for, that's what the comment was about. You get our software for free, use it to make money at a business that operates in a grey area, and come in here ranting about some niche feature request to fix a recent issue that isn't even our fault, but due to a Steam update. I've also witnessed several posts where you were abusive to (or aggressive towards) staff here.

You see how that's frustrating? It's rare that I'd even call someone out, but hey, you got my attention too.

Maybe Tom jumps for you, maybe not. If it were me I'd just issue you a refund, add you to my ignore list and move on with my life.

Oh, wait, my bad... It was free software. Right. We're 1/3 of the way there then.

6 hours ago, Adultery said:

I'm aware who it's for, that's what the comment was about. You get our software for free, use it to make money at a business that operates in a grey area, and come in here ranting about some niche feature request to fix a recent issue that isn't even our fault, but due to a Steam update. I've also witnessed several posts where you were abusive to (or aggressive towards) staff here.

You see how that's frustrating? It's rare that I'd even call someone out, but hey, you got my attention too.

Maybe Tom jumps for you, maybe not. If it were me I'd just issue you a refund, add you to my ignore list and move on with my life.

Oh, wait, my bad... It was free software. Right. We're 1/3 of the way there then.

I see you don't know.

The "niche feature request" isn't related to this. I've been asking for it, along with other users, for nearly a year. Some ability to disable or customize the automatic key presses when loading Pinball FX2 / Pinball Arcade would be helpful to a huge number of people (see: Carny_Priest's comment), not just me.

Also, I've never been abusive. Maybe aggressive, but that's the extent of it.