All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[Abandoned] A few games don't show up in lists, but do in search

Asfaleia

I am in the process of moving from Maximus Arcade to GameEx Arcade Edition.  I am also using MameArcade64 with the Mame GameEx System Pack.  I have installed ROM Center and have checked all of my ROMs with it and cleaned them up.  Most of my ROMs work great, right from the All Games List and my Favorites list.  Several (Pacman, Ms Pacman, Tron, Donkey Kong and other classics) don't show up.  I can find them if I search for them.  I can add them to my Favorites list.  They are in the Custom.ini file in my Folders directory.  I've gone over my GameEx.ini and set OnlyWorking=False, AllowImperfect=True and VerifyRoms=False.  I have also set GameFilterOn=True and added the ROMs to DoNotFilterROMs (I've tried several variations of all these variables to no effect).  I've attached my GameEx.ini in hopes that someone has either experienced this or can see what I am missing.

Thanks!!!!

GameEx.ini

6 hours ago, Asfaleia said:

Oh...and I also went back to XXXXXXXX and downloaded the ROMs again, just to be sure.  They all show green and good in Rom Center and all play in Rom Center and GameEx when I search for them and select play.

Just a verbal warning - do not discuss where to download or how to acquire ROMs in this forum.  Read the forum rules for guidance. Thank you.

Hey Asfaleia and welcome to the forum,

Could you verify what type of rom set you have - is it merged or split?

QUICK EDIT - also you mention your Custom.ini - what do you mean by that? Could you also post it so we can get a better grasp of the situation.

A split set.  I've added sound files to A few ROMs, but for the most part, just keep with the standard split sets (world version, US version, Japan version, etc.)

That said, I checked each of these ROMs.  Each individual ROM zip file appears to have a complete set of files.  It doesn't look like they rely on any other ROMs/sets.

Edited by Asfaleia
Additional Info on original question

Here is my custom.ini.  It is located in my MAME directory, in the folders directory.  I've confirmed that games get added to it as I add them to my favorites list in GameEx.  It is strange that the games do not show up on either the All Games list or the Favorites list.  Other games, like Asteroids and Missile Command (and about 50 others) do show up in the All Games list and appear on my Favorites list when I add them.  It is just a few that don't appear in either location. 

Custom.ini

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  I completely replaced my ROMsets with new downloads.  I've tried .180 and .189 versions.  I also tried MAME64 .180 and MAME64 .189.  I've also upgraded my ROM repair utilities.  The issue has not been resolved. I can search for any ROM and run the game successfully, but they do not show up in the All Games or Favorites lists.  I have tried deleting the listinfo.dat file as well.  I am at a loss.

I downloaded the support files for .189.  Just to make sure, I am replacing all of the data in cabinets, cpanels, flyers, marquees, samples and snaps in addition to the mameinfo.dat and the .ini files.  Still working on getting everything together.  I should be able to give it a go tonight.  Any suggestions for other .dat files?

On 9/11/2017 at 6:58 PM, tthurman said:

Do you have support files?  A complete set, along with the most current versions of the support files is always a good idea.  If you don't have them, then I'd get them, and do and update to see if anything improves.

wIth MAME you must do this. You must get the support files that match your MAME version. This is not a GameEx caveat, it is a MAME restriction.

I like everything to match, but when the GameEx filter is being used, I like to ensure the history, catver, mameinfo, npplayers and control.in are always the most current in relation to the rom set I'm running.  It just seems to me GameEx filtering system performs better with them being current, and yeah, a lot of those rarely see updates, so usually, we're just talking about keeping a few current.

Honestly, I didn't do this to the T all the time, but when weird oddities started popping up, this is the advice DazzleHP provided to me, and it's proven to be very helpful.

For those games that just refuse to show, add them to the "don't filter these roms" section.  Also, you may want to read up on Custom MAME Lists.

Please bear in mind that a bit of a transition with the setup wizard has been underway, as Headkaze has released new and improved versions of this to Tom.  That said, not everything in past guides, or posts here for that matter, may be exactly spot on.  I'm sure the guides will be updated to reflect changes at some point, but we are best served right now letting headkaze get the configuration wizard to a release he is comfortable with before undertaking that task.

• Thanks 1

I have had to add some to the "don't filter these roms" section (i.e Q*Bert, Donkey Kong, and a few others) in both GameEx and Arcade Edition, followed by Update List after loading the MAME section of each. 

I finally had to punt and move from GameEx Arcade to GameEx.  As soon as I did, the problems went away.  The All Games and Favorites both show all games.  I'm not sure what the limitation is within the GameEx Arcade implementation, because I used the gameex.ini from it as a template for GameEx.  Thanks for all of the help.  

2 hours ago, Asfaleia said:

I finally had to punt and move from GameEx Arcade to GameEx.  As soon as I did, the problems went away.  The All Games and Favorites both show all games.  I'm not sure what the limitation is within the GameEx Arcade implementation, because I used the gameex.ini from it as a template for GameEx.  Thanks for all of the help.  

Functionally there should be no difference in integrated MAME support in GameEx Arcade Edition and GameEx.