All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Coming back to GameEx after a while - version/feature help?

snarls

1 hour ago, stigzler said:

Only cautionary note would be if you set up daemon tools at all, some bright spark over there a couple of years ago decided to change all the command line operations.....

Still works though, just gotta accommodate the new switches etc..

I think I'm using daemon tools lite at the moment to load saturn and ps1 ans ps2 discs i ripped to isos. As I recall - that was tricky to get working... so yikes

I make the suggestion that you work on one error/issue at a time opening a separate thread for each and providing copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files for review in each thread. Get that issue resolved before opening the next thread. 

1 hour ago, snarls said:

I think I'm using daemon tools lite at the moment to load saturn and ps1 ans ps2 discs i ripped to isos. As I recall - that was tricky to get working... so yikes

If you're setting up from scratch, you could always use Gemvoy (plugin in the downloads section). It was designed to take the guesswork out of setups. Whilst it may take a bit of learning to start, once done, emu setup is simple. It also deals with any unzip/mounting/per game settings problems. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2017 at 8:43 AM, stigzler said:

Only cautionary note would be if you set up daemon tools at all, some bright spark over there a couple of years ago decided to change all the command line operations.....

Still works though, just gotta accommodate the new switches etc..

Yes, well, the GameEx staff are not responsible for other dev's crazy moments ^_^ My point is still valid wouldn't you agree? That mostly commands don't change, especially with the more established emulators.

• Confused 1

On 9/5/2017 at 0:39 PM, snarls said:

very cool i have some old dos games I'd like to try again - things like Archon and those old EA games etc so any hints are welcome!

First thing for you to know, is that besides the DOSBox I am also using the DBGL (DOSBox Game Launcher) to start the games. I remember that before using the DBGL I was having problems setting up the games to start in GameEx. But with the DBGL, setting up new games is trivially easy.

It has a downside however, in the fact that I have to name the games' media assets (video snaps, covers etc.) with numbers instead of the the names of the games, and then use a custom MAP file to show the correct names in GameEx. It's not a big deal for me, because given the small size of my retro collection I never use automatic download of media, but if you use that, then I guess it won't work for DOS games launched via DBGL.

You can find the DBGL here: http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/#download

An extra boon for me was that the DBGL is open source and doesn't require installation :)

• Thanks 2