All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Coming back to GameEx after a while - version/feature help?

snarls

SUPER Long post sorry :)

Life gets in the way from hobbies - but i havent had a chance to use GameEx or follow the complicated threads or experiment in a number of years. Now I'd like to get back into it but would prefer to spend most of my spare time playing games not tweaking setups. So I have several questions hopefully someone will be kind enough to answer.

Here's my current setup AMD quad core HTPC Nvidia gtx660ti to the living room tv.  Wireless Microsoft xbox controllers and Gameex 12.63 running on Win7 x64 8Gb ram.  Got things installed in C:\Gameex   C:\Assets  C:\Roms and C:\Emulators  - so everything is separate and yet easily archivable (I assume this is the best way??)

I spent days and days back then (weeks probably) getting my emulators to work and be optimized.  I spent soooo much time and it was sooo fiddly to get working that I'm paranoid to install something new and have to do it all over again and get up to speed on later versions of emulators or alternate emulators.  ['ve kind of got things working and don't wanna rock the boat. I do Looove Gameex functionality and being able to switch console emulators at a click!! it's an amazing hub! Awesome product!

I've currently got working well:

• Atari 2600
  • Coleco Vision
  • Intellivision
  • MAME
  • Nintendo
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo Gamecube
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • Sega Game Gear
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sony Playstation
  • Sony PS2
  • Super Nintendo
  • TurboGrafx-16

I'd like to get working (but was too hard or i previously gave up as I didn't have the time):

• Commodore 64
  • Mac SE
  • TI-99/4A
  • Microsoft DOS
  • some kind of virtual pinball

I'm licensed - but at one point some months back i tried to upgrade (I usually zip my gameex folder up as backup in case install breaks things) and v14.x something brought back a nag screen and I think that means i need to pay again (which is fine but I dont wanna buy something I dont need that requires setup time). I'm assuming I could unzip and go back to my working v12 ?

Anyway my main questions are:

1.  Are there better themes available for my version or a future one?  I'm using something like Grey glass 1080 currently? I donl want alot of graphcis or animations just big screenshots and logos and a good clean quick interface with a clean font.  I had tried to dabble with theme creation back then but it was so time consuming I gave up. Again no offense but the evo video features look super cool in the interface, but the graphic design and typography of it look programmer or hobbyist created not designer created.  Are there any killer CLEAN elegant, designer made themes for any version?  Good, working Themes seemed very hard to come by before. The Grey glass one I use is kinda ugly but has the best layout and functionality and screenshot size that i found at the time.  Yes it's somewhat subjective, but surely there are better themes these days that don't look like a garish anime,  Christmas tree now? (again forgive me if I offend people creating them, maybe I havent seen the good ones, but I work in UX and design is important to me.
  2. Where is the feature matrix I can see to compare my version to the latest or this new evo one coming soon?
  3. I love gameex - but i never want to tweak my emulator configs again:blink:, I just don't have the time or patience to do so anymore.  Perhaps some enterprising person here or as an addon to gameex for a fee - you could offer that service setup for a fee?  Like send me a working zip with all configs and emu files and unzip and drop into Gameex?  The community is so helpful (and I tried to be back when I had time to frequent it) but it really is a headache to get everything right and feels a bit like jenga in that one thing could make it all stop working again.  So is there a better way to keep my emu collection working/setup thru gameex without the pain now?
  4. Is it worth it for me to upgrade if I dont want to animate Moon Patrols title screen assuming a screenshot and logo is good enough for me?  Any new features beyond UI bells and whistles? While it's cool to be able to have animated sprites or 3d marios in my interface, I just dont have the time for content gathering and creating at present. Anything better with running the emus? etc?
  5. What would you recommend for an alternative toddler interface for my gameex emus?  So I could make a toddler friendly list of game emu combos and interface for the lil one to choose from? (an aside question off topic - any toddler gamepad recommendations? seems like nothing on the market for babies?) Clearly with now  a 2yr old I'm sure your getting my sleep deprivation in this post and why while I adore gameex I cant spend hours tweaking it anymore, and why I was away for the past couple of years.  Anyone with thoughts on teaching toddlers basic classic gaming (not tablets) would be welcome too.
  6. How do I ensure that my gameex setup remains working long term as is without ton of maintenance. At some level this is not only software I use, but I consider Gameex a historical archiver of saving playable games from my past that I'd like to share with new generations and not lose anything.  Everything about my setup seems fragile and I just want this working setup to be stable and last for years (my HTPC is coming up on 9yrs old and I dread the time it will take to set up a win 10 or other system to do what this does)

So what's the best course forward for my upgrade path? Is it worth it for me to invest the time (not too worried about buying anything tho)?  All advice welcome!

Any hints on easily getting the other emus above I've listed working?

thanks for any advice and good to see the product and community are going strong!! :D

• Like 1

I love gameex - but i never want to tweak my emulator configs again:blink:, I just don't have the time or patience to do so anymore.  Perhaps some enterprising person here or as an addon to gameex for a fee - you could offer that service setup for a fee?

LMK how that works out for ya. As for the Setup fee, maybe ask around and someone might be willing to help you out, but I doubt that guidance would come from staff. We already have enough to do around here. ;)

Where is the feature matrix I can see to compare my version to the latest or this new evo one coming soon?

There isn't one, since Evo isn't out we can't really do a matrix.

Is it worth it for me to upgrade if I dont want to animate Moon Patrols title screen assuming a screenshot and logo is good enough for me?  Any new features beyond UI bells and whistles? While it's cool to be able to have animated sprites or 3d marios in my interface, I just dont have the time for content gathering and creating at present. Anything better with running the emus? etc?

If u mean GameEx to the recent version, you'll have to at some point because we don't support older builds and the first thing someone will ask is for you to update. If you mean from GameEx to Evo, that's two different products and you'll have to come to that determination on your own. I will say however that your generalization is incredibly short, Evolution is much more than a 3D Mario Sprite.

What would you recommend for an alternative toddler interface for my gameex emus? 

That's going to be a challenge for you. This hobby certainly isn't geared to toddlers. You might be able to simplify the interface in your own theme or in custom menus, but believe me when I tell you you'll never prod it enough. If your kids are like mine were, just one weird button combo is sometimes enough to take down your cabinet.

How do I ensure that my gameex setup remains working long term as is without ton of maintence.

That's going to be a question you'll have to ask yourself. As I mentioned we don't support legacy versions due to the speed in which we release updates and bug fixes. In the same way you would maintain and update Windows, you should be keeping your GameEx update. If you're in a pickle, it's because of the jump in versions and how far behind you are. If that's because you don't want to pay the nominal fee, then that's on you.

Updates aren't fragile, I've done several without any issue at all, and I can't even remember the last drastic change that crippled my rig.

You're version is way to old for much in the way of support, especially with current MAME releases.

Licensing changed during the GameEx Evo announcement, and based on your post, I would guess your a founding member.  Tom should have mailed you a registry key immediately after you purchased your license.  If you cannot locate this, only Tom can help you with this.  Contact him with the email you registered with.

Available themes can be viewed in the downloads section.

Evo isn't done, so there isn't a comparable matrix feature between the two.

Nobody (in their right mind) is going offer a fully functional pre-config'd.  I'm sure you can figure out why on your own.

Worth it to upgrade?  GameEx updates are often new features, but also to keep up with the doings of dev team.

Most emulators are far from perfect, and getting them to run without tweaking just isn't a reasonable expectation.  It's just part of the hobby, like it or not.  From your post it seems your not the tinkering/tweaking type, which really doesn't mix well in this hobby, at all.  Not aiming to be harsh, that's just how it is!

Best thing I can suggest in addition to Adultery and tthurman's responses is backup your system, then download the latest version and install it. Also, download and install the LAV codecs from the downloads section - you will need them.

Last, as for themes, not sure what theme you are talking about unless you mean Smoked Glass. If so, I am the creator of it and sorry it is too hobbyist for you. I suggest creating your own and sharing back with the community. There are a lot of quality themes that haven't been shared. I have created over 20 since I started with GameEx. Some are butt ugly, some look pretty damned good and hold their own against many others considering I am self-taught.

SUPER Long post sorry [emoji4]
Life gets in the way from hobbies - but i havent had a chance to use GameEx or follow the complicated threads or experiment in a number of years. Now I'd like to get back into it but would prefer to spend most of my spare time playing games not tweaking setups. So I have several questions hopefully someone will be kind enough to answer.
Here's my current setup AMD quad core HTPC Nvidia gtx660ti to the living room tv.  Wireless Microsoft xbox controllers and Gameex 12.63 running on Win7 x64 8Gb ram.  Got things installed in C:\Gameex   C:\Assets  C:\Roms and C:\Emulators  - so everything is separate and yet easily archivable (I assume this is the best way??)
I spent days and days back then (weeks probably) getting my emulators to work and be optimized.  I spent soooo much time and it was sooo fiddly to get working that I'm paranoid to install something new and have to do it all over again and get up to speed on later versions of emulators or alternate emulators.  ['ve kind of got things working and don't wanna rock the boat. I do Looove Gameex functionality and being able to switch console emulators at a click!! it's an amazing hub! Awesome product!
I've currently got working well:
  • Atari 2600
  • Coleco Vision
  • Intellivision
  • MAME
  • Nintendo
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo Gamecube
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • Sega Game Gear
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sony Playstation
  • Sony PS2
  • Super Nintendo
  • TurboGrafx-16
I'd like to get working (but was too hard or i previously gave up as I didn't have the time):
  • Commodore 64
  • Mac SE
  • TI-99/4A
  • Microsoft DOS
I'm licensed - but at one point some months back i tried to upgrade (I usually zip my gameex folder up as backup in case install breaks things) and v14.x something brought back a nag screen and I think that means i need to pay again (which is fine but I dont wanna buy something I dont need that requires setup time). I'm assuming I could unzip and go back to my working v12 ?
Anyway my main questions are:
  1.  Are there better themes available for my version or a future one?  I'm using something like Grey glass 1080 currently? I donl want alot of graphcis or animations just big screenshots and logos and a good clean quick interface with a clean font.  I had tried to dabble with theme creation back then but it was so time consuming I gave up. Again no offense but the evo video features look super cool in the interface, but the graphic design and typography of it look programmer or hobbyist created not designer created.  Are there any killer CLEAN elegant, designer made themes for any version?  Good, working Themes seemed very hard to come by before. The Grey glass one I use is kinda ugly but has the best layout and functionality and screenshot size that i found at the time.  Yes it's somewhat subjective, but surely there are better themes these days that don't look like a garish anime,  Christmas tree now? (again forgive me if I offend people creating them, maybe I havent seen the good ones, but I work in UX and design is important to me.
  2. Where is the feature matrix I can see to compare my version to the latest or this new evo one coming soon?
  3. I love gameex - but i never want to tweak my emulator configs again:blink:, I just don't have the time or patience to do so anymore.  Perhaps some enterprising person here or as an addon to gameex for a fee - you could offer that service setup for a fee?  Like send me a working zip with all configs and emu files and unzip and drop into Gameex?  The community is so helpful (and I tried to be back when I had time to frequent it) but it really is a headache to get everything right and feels a bit like jenga in that one thing could make it all stop working again.  So is there a better way to keep my emu collection working/setup thru gameex without the pain now?
  4. Is it worth it for me to upgrade if I dont want to animate Moon Patrols title screen assuming a screenshot and logo is good enough for me?  Any new features beyond UI bells and whistles? While it's cool to be able to have animated sprites or 3d marios in my interface, I just dont have the time for content gathering and creating at present. Anything better with running the emus? etc?
  5. What would you recommend for an alternative toddler interface for my gameex emus?  So I could make a toddler friendly list of game emu combos and interface for the lil one to choose from? (an aside question off topic - any toddler gamepad recommendations? seems like nothing on the market for babies?) Clearly with now  a 2yr old I'm sure your getting my sleep deprivation in this post and why while I adore gameex I cant spend hours tweaking it anymore, and why I was away for the past couple of years.  Anyone with thoughts on teaching toddlers basic classic gaming (not tablets) would be welcome too.
  6. How do I ensure that my gameex setup remains working long term as is without ton of maintenance. At some level this is not only software I use, but I consider Gameex a historical archiver of saving playable games from my past that I'd like to share with new generations and not lose anything.  Everything about my setup seems fragile and I just want this working setup to be stable and last for years (my HTPC is coming up on 9yrs old and I dread the time it will take to set up a win 10 or other system to do what this does)
So what's the best course forward for my upgrade path? Is it worth it for me to invest the time (not too worried about buying anything tho)?  All advice welcome!

Any hints on easily getting the other emus above I've listed working?

thanks for any advice and good to see the product and community are going strong!! [emoji3]
I have a perfect gameex turbografix setup. If u need help id be glad to help u remotely if need be.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snarls said:
  1.  Are there better themes available for my version or a future one? 

You betcha, baby. That Talos101 theme causes babies to be conceived.

"alternative toddler interface" Flappy Bird. One button. Press...press....PRESS....WHACK..WHACKWHACKWHACK.....BOOM....press....press....press.... (ad infinitum)

(go easy on him guys - he's got a toddler)

• Like 2

I'd say this - if you know GameEx already, then it is just about commands and paths. Even if you melt your pc by some bizarre accident, and if you spent that long in the past getting to know it, it'll take you 1-2 hours tops to get back where you started. Provided you have all your roms and media backed up. You DO have them backed up don't you ?! ^_^

On 8/27/2017 at 11:03 AM, Adultery said:

LMK how that works out for ya. As for the Setup fee, maybe ask around and someone might be willing to help you out, but I doubt that guidance would come from staff. We already have enough to do around here. ;)

It's a reasonable question I assume. To me Gameex is more than just a time sink for tinkeringwith emulators -It's an enabler to archive all the old classics I play and make it easy to play them all in one place.  I don't want to build a house and keep putting the roof on every year.  Happy to build it once and maintain it sure, but the point is to live in it.  I was assuming there would be others like me that don't want to risk tipping over the jenga of their set of emus - so that when people come around you fire it up and it works - not losing configs and gamepad settings or having the launcher not work.  Seems fair enough to look for a solution to the fragility of the beast.

If u mean GameEx to the recent version, you'll have to at some point because we don't support older builds and the first thing someone will ask is for you to update. If you mean from GameEx to Evo, that's two different products and you'll have to come to that determination on your own. I will say however that your generalization is incredibly short, Evolution is much more than a 3D Mario Sprite.

Happy to upgrade to a later Gameex just was confused about that vs Evo - and it wasn't meant to be short - Evo's feature and difference from the original program are not clear other than it appears to be a rewrite allowing fancier animations in the UI.  If it's more than this - please let me know how I can find out - hence the feature matrix question.

That's going to be a challenge for you. This hobby certainly isn't geared to toddlers. You might be able to simplify the interface in your own theme or in custom menus, but believe me when I tell you you'll never prod it enough. If your kids are like mine were, just one weird button combo is sometimes enough to take down your cabinet.

I'm not sure we have the same idea of what the "hobby" is. It seems you indicate it's about set up and tinkering - to me it's about playing all my old games - I'm hoping my toddler can play and will enjoy Pac-man etc as I try to pass on my love for gaming to him - and Gameex seemed like the perfect historical vehicle to do that with.  The "one button take down your cabinet" thing seems to add credibility to my concern for fragility of the system once finally set up.

How do I ensure that my gameex setup remains working long term as is without ton of maintence.

That's going to be a question you'll have to ask yourself. As I mentioned we don't support legacy versions due to the speed in which we release updates and bug fixes. In the same way you would maintain and update Windows, you should be keeping your GameEx update. If you're in a pickle, it's because of the jump in versions and how far behind you are. If that's because you don't want to pay the nominal fee, then that's on you.

I guess I'm asking about where are good snapshots of build to stay or archive a working setup easily enough? I have no problem paying for upgrades if needed.  Just trying to understand the way forward.

Updates aren't fragile, I've done several without any issue at all, and I can't even remember the last drastic change that crippled my rig.

Good to know - thanks for your replies

On 8/27/2017 at 11:26 AM, tthurman said:

You're version is way to old for much in the way of support, especially with current MAME releases.

Licensing changed during the GameEx Evo announcement, and based on your post, I would guess your a founding member.  Tom should have mailed you a registry key immediately after you purchased your license.  If you cannot locate this, only Tom can help you with this.  Contact him with the email you registered with.

I have it somewhere - I thought I was lifetime but could be founding - it was several years ago and I never took advantage of any ftp - I'll dig it up and see - are there problems or issues I should know about upgrading from where I am to the latest Gameex?  Is whatever version that is code frozen and all new dev is in Evo? Whenis Evo's projected release date for a non-beta version?  It seems like I'd need to determine a substantial time investment when that is in order to get working parity of my existing setup.

My htpc is working fine but getting old - probably 9 yrs old? and all I've done was add ram, a new video card and a hybrid ssd - so when Evo comes out that might be the perfect time to transistion to a new system - just wanna plan it as apparently time is not your own once you have little kids - How did no one tell me this important fact??:o

Nobody (in their right mind) is going offer a fully functional pre-config'd.  I'm sure you can figure out why on your own.

Why is that? If you are implying copyright violation - I'm not suggesting anything of the kind. In fact I own all the discs of the games I play and have for example ripped all my PS2 discs to isos so they load quickly and I can play San Andreas at 4x resolution vs the old console.  So I'm happy to defend my right to do so should Sony have a problem with it as I've paid for everything.  No one is asking for roms or isos - surely the metadata and config files and which open source emu version to use is safe to create and distribute.  Some text files?  Maybe you've misunderstood me.

Most emulators are far from perfect, and getting them to run without tweaking just isn't a reasonable expectation.  It's just part of the hobby, like it or not.  From your post it seems your not the tinkering/tweaking type, which really doesn't mix well in this hobby, at all.  Not aiming to be harsh, that's just how it is!

Again to each his own - It's not about being able to tinker as much as that is not the point of this program to me - it's about playing the games and saving them for the future. I get that emus are lightly deved, a niche development and not funded so there will always be bugs as it is incredibly complex to emulator classic hardware stably. But my experience is that a given emu version will work with a given game and gamepad with a certain predictable confidence level. Like I can count on my Sega Saturn emu to play my iso ripped bomberman cd just fine.  I just don't wanna lose paths and settings and keyboard/gamepad configs randomly or at update time. I want to know that once it works it works.  I don't update emus for the sake of it. I'd do it if there was a compelling reason or a new game I wanted to play requires it.  My time is limited and I don't want my hobby to be maintaining settings files every other week - surely I'm not alone in this and fair enough if for others the hobby is all in the setting up your cabinet for your gameroom - that is just not what I'm after...

Thanks for your reply too!

On 8/27/2017 at 11:47 AM, Draco1962 said:

Best thing I can suggest in addition to Adultery and tthurman's responses is backup your system, then download the latest version and install it. Also, download and install the LAV codecs from the downloads section - you will need them.

Last, as for themes, not sure what theme you are talking about unless you mean Smoked Glass. If so, I am the creator of it and sorry it is too hobbyist for you. I suggest creating your own and sharing back with the community. There are a lot of quality themes that haven't been shared. I have created over 20 since I started with GameEx. Some are butt ugly, some look pretty damned good and hold their own against many others considering I am self-taught.

Thanks - do you think backing up the Gameex folder as a zip file is enough? Or do I have to worry about registry settings and backing up the whole OS everytime I update Gameex or allow it to auto-update?

I seem to be using BlueGlass or BlackGlass currently.  Also I didnt at all mean to disparage your work. It is by far the best of the themes I've seen from the ones included in the interface's Theme picker.  I know it is a lot of work and time and I appreciate you sharing.  I just meant that alot of the themes I've seen are garish and unusable from a UX point of view despite working.  I'm just looking for a clean usable design that heroes the content and not extraneous or specific graphics - I'd prefer a speedy clean interface as if Apple made it - with some deep thought to its design and function and aesthetics.  I'm happy to pay for such a theme too - I just find it hard finding anything as the themes have seemed like there's no curation in the interface separating the premium ones from haphazardly created or abandoned ones.  thanks again for your contributions to the themes - I appreciate it.  Let me know if you can suggest a premium theme like I'm after and if there's payable ones for better quality.

On 8/27/2017 at 2:19 PM, cnells2000 said:

I have a perfect gameex turbografix setup. If u need help id be glad to help u remotely if need be.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Awesome thanks - I do appreciate that!! I'll certainly bug you if I have any Turbographix issue :)

Do you happen to have setups for  any of these?

• Commodore 64
  • Mac SE
  • TI-99/4A
  • Microsoft DOS

On 8/27/2017 at 3:14 PM, stigzler said:

You betcha, baby. That Talos101 theme causes babies to be conceived.

"alternative toddler interface" Flappy Bird. One button. Press...press....PRESS....WHACK..WHACKWHACKWHACK.....BOOM....press....press....press.... (ad infinitum)

(go easy on him guys - he's got a toddler)

Hahah Is that how I'm in this predicament?  I don't recall that theme - maybe I should check with my wife? :P

Seriously though - I'll check it out. What version of Gameex supports it?  It's not in my Theme Picker.

(and yes I am very sleep deprived - but looking forward to sharing my love for gaming with my little one when he's able to start - and you guys and Gameex are a great way to help keep these games alive!)

On 8/29/2017 at 5:10 PM, DazzleHP said:

I'd say this - if you know GameEx already, then it is just about commands and paths. Even if you melt your pc by some bizarre accident, and if you spent that long in the past getting to know it, it'll take you 1-2 hours tops to get back where you started. Provided you have all your roms and media backed up. You DO have them backed up don't you ?! ^_^

Yes - I've got things installed in C:\Gameex   C:\Assets  C:\Roms and C:\Emulators 

so Roms is pure content and my ripped cds etc, 

Assets are primarily screenshots and content addons like logos etc

Emulators in its own umbrella folder with subfolders for things like PCX2 and SSF for Sega Saturn - can't recall when I installed them if some are just unpacked emu zips ready to work or if some emus had full install programs that put settings outside its install folder (probably) so that's a bit of a worry in that if I put this emu folder on a new pc would it work - or would I have to track down the installers for the versions I've got and re setup them?

and main program of Gameex in its own folder - I'm assuming my way of zipping this folder before updates protects me from the configs and settings if I were to delete a newly installed gameex or upgrade and unzip the old version?

1-2 hours is doable for sure if you think that's all it is - that's reassuring thanks - I just don't think I had it in me to devote another several weekends if something should go awry - lol - hence why i asked if there was additional paid services to get metadata/configs/installs up and running (apart from content and games which I have my own and am not asking for any violations).

thanks

10 minutes ago, stigzler said:

I was only kiddin, but it's here if you wanna take a look:

Thanks!  I'll check it out (hopefully it works with my version - I'll upgrade soon when I have time in the next week to ensureI'm backed up and new gameex works with all my games.

Would be awesome if there were youtube videos showing off the working themes - :)

Just found an old post of mine in this forum from 5 years ago:

The main problem I get is in organizing enough of my friend's schedules to come over to play at the same time. :P I'm debating having kids just to get some gaming opponents :D<_<

Eerily prescient.  Now I just need the to teach him to play before he can talk so we can game :lol:

On 9/2/2017 at 8:12 AM, snarls said:

I have it somewhere - I thought I was lifetime but could be founding

Pre "GameEx Online" lifetime users fall under GameEx Legacy or Founding Members.  This pre-dates the online offerings, System Packs, etc...and are features that mirror how EVO interacts with available online content. 

Current GameEx is comprised mostly of feature enhancements, as well as required updates to ensure it works properly with current MAMEdev releases.  I've had no problem updating,

Not to be sarcastic, but EVO's release date will be determined by when it's done. 

EVO is an ambitious endeavor in the world of Frontends and likewise, will most likely surprise people with its feature-set once released.  Details on EVO aren't available, and won't be until development is completed.  The EVO dev team isn't showing their hand in hopes to avoid undesirable backlash should something not pan out during development.  Putting out a detailed feature-set elevates the possibility of this, so don't count on seeing one.

As for the EMU's themselves, bear in mind that many of these have long been abandoned in development, often times far before they were complete.  Obviously, this in itself creates roadblocks and is the root cause of much of the tinkering and tweaking.  My advice would be to pick out only systems you cannot live without and to hunt down the most actively supported EMU out there for it. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 3:29 PM, snarls said:

Do you happen to have setups for  any of these?

• Commodore 64
  • Mac SE
  • TI-99/4A
  • Microsoft DOS

I can help you with the C64 and DOS if you want, and can tolerate some delays in my responses... :P

Setting up the C64 for me was easy, but not the DOS!

• Like 1

On 02/09/2017 at 1:45 PM, snarls said:

Yes - I've got things installed in C:\Gameex   C:\Assets  C:\Roms and C:\Emulators 

so Roms is pure content and my ripped cds etc, 

Assets are primarily screenshots and content addons like logos etc

Emulators in its own umbrella folder with subfolders for things like PCX2 and SSF for Sega Saturn - can't recall when I installed them if some are just unpacked emu zips ready to work or if some emus had full install programs that put settings outside its install folder (probably) so that's a bit of a worry in that if I put this emu folder on a new pc would it work - or would I have to track down the installers for the versions I've got and re setup them?

and main program of Gameex in its own folder - I'm assuming my way of zipping this folder before updates protects me from the configs and settings if I were to delete a newly installed gameex or upgrade and unzip the old version?

1-2 hours is doable for sure if you think that's all it is - that's reassuring thanks - I just don't think I had it in me to devote another several weekends if something should go awry - lol - hence why i asked if there was additional paid services to get metadata/configs/installs up and running (apart from content and games which I have my own and am not asking for any violations).

thanks

If you have your roms, and you have the latest GameEx, that is all that matters. GameEx will download pre-configured emulators these days if you ask it to. Then, all you have to do is tell it where your roms are, if you want a quick start. It's just as quick to configure your own emu's too - the commands don't change - if they worked 5 years ago, they probably still do :)

I say go for it, do your best, and if you get stuck... guess who'll be here to help you out :P

Yup, we will ;)

5 hours ago, DazzleHP said:

if they worked 5 years ago, they probably still do :)

Only cautionary note would be if you set up daemon tools at all, some bright spark over there a couple of years ago decided to change all the command line operations.....

Still works though, just gotta accommodate the new switches etc..

11 hours ago, shroud said:

I can help you with the C64 and DOS if you want, and can tolerate some delays in my responses... :P

Setting up the C64 for me was easy, but not the DOS!

very cool i have some old dos games I'd like to try again - things like Archon and those old EA games etc so any hints are welcome!