All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Icon displays in lower right of DMD videos

bdormer

In the lower right of the DMD video (the standard PinballX DMD video NOT a PINDMD) – I suddenly have an icon – looks like 2 white arrows chasing each other in a circle  (like the Convert–it icon rotated 90 degrees clockwise) in the lower right of the DMD video playback.  I can’t for the life of me figure out what I did to make this appear (or maybe PinballX is just possessed).  I’m running v2.36 (latest version) – clean Win10 (64bit) install. 

Just for giggles – I replaced the “No DMD.mp4” with the DMD file from South Park (first thing that came to mind) and that video ALSO shows the icon.  So it’s definitely something with PinballX.

Everything seems to work (still setting up emulators – so haven’t launched an actual game yet).  The icon isn’t in the video played via VLC – only when PinballX displays it.  I’ve tried moving it – resizing it – no joy.  Right now – I have it at 1024×256 which is 1:1 and it’s at 0,0 on Display 3 (the Topper displays just fine – but it’s static, not video)   It was working great a couple days ago – this happened suddenly.  Since I’m still getting everything set up – I don’t really know what I may have changed right before it started – but the options for DMD are pretty limited (display, X, Y, H, W).  There are no errors in the PinballX log.

Can you please attach copies of your pinballx.ini and log.txt files in reply to this thread for us to review?

When reporting an error such as what you are describing it can really shorten the guessing game in most cases. Thanks!

OK - here's the latest (and it's a doozy) - the image shows the "chasing arrows" AND, now introducing - the microphone icon!!  I have no idea where this is coming from or why it's attached itself to ANY ANIMATED DMD (static images are OK) in PinballX.   As requested, I've included my .ini and log files.   This install is pretty much from scratch - I was working on this machine for a while back in 2016, then life happened, so I'm just starting over.  I'm a Software Engineer by day (sometimes by night) so don't be afraid to get technical with me.  I didn't really make any changes that should have added the microphone (or the chasing arrows) to the machine.  It was working clean for about 2 weeks and then the arrows appeared and on Sunday the mic showed up.   It's just a bare W10 64-bit install, with FP, VP (the all inclusive VPX + prior versions install), PBFX2  and TPA on board.  3 monitors, using on-mobo audio for sound.  The emulators all work, but everything (FP in particular) still needs a good deal of tweaking. 

PBX DMD.jpg

PinballX.ini

log.txt

If you have updated Windows 10 recently to the Creators Update version, you may have to tweak its Game Mode. I think that MS has added built-in capture and streaming.

Or else it is Nvidia Shadowplay which you can adjust or disable using NVidia Experience.

The mic icon is the clue. It's not a PinballX issue at all. There is some online Gamex support that allows you to fill your signature with the table you played last, but there is no capture or streaming that I'm aware of. I always keep that feature disabled anyway.

Ah!  This does have a familiar ring to it.  I *DID* just update to Win10 Creators **AND** I installed the latest Nvidia drivers - which forced me to load all the extra crapware, like Geforce Experience (which doesn't recognize any of the pinball emulators as "games").  As soon as I had the full install, I went back and uninstalled all the excess baggage, including Geforce experience - but I'll bet it left bits a pieces of itself behind.   I'll take a look and report back - but I have a feeling that this is going to be the resolution.  Makes me wish that Nvidia had an option for "just the drivers - nothing else".  

Thank you very much!

bd 

I too tend to install only the software needed to operate the cabinet and nothing else. But I do keep Nividia Experience installed as that is the avenue for checking and receiving driver updates. I don't think that there is a way to not install Shadowplay, but it can definitely be disabled. Windows game mode stuff pops up for TPA and FP, a prompt to do CTRL+G to capture screens when the application starts. I just learned to ignore it. It is not too obtrusive for me. It may seriously annoy others that are really into shelling Windows.

SUCCESS!!!  As I looked at the link to the info about Nvidia's GeForce Experience, I recognized those icons.  Without even reinstalling GeForce Experience (all I have installed is the NVidia drivers), I hit Alt-Z from the desktop and Viola!  All the settings were there - I went thru and shut off everything I could.  No more icons.  I'm going to follow up on the Windows Gaming (Win+G key) stuff, but I'm pretty sure I have Gaming mode shut off.  Looking at the press - it seems that testing so far hasn't really shown much advantage, and some disadvantage, to having Windows Gaming mode on if you already have enough horsepower (which I do - 6 core AMD 3.3 GHz).  And I'm not going to have much, if anything running that doesn't need to be there.

Thanks for all your help!