All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Mame .LAY

latin625

Hi,  does anyone now where I can find .lay files on the server for mame?  I only have a few that show the marquee header in mame.

I cant seem to figure out the .lay format to have mame show the marquee on some games and not others.

Thanks!

Edited by tthurman
Moved to GameEx>General

The .lay files are not on a server here. Did you check within \GameEx\MEDIA\BEZELV2 ? In re-reading your request, it is making less sense to me as to what exactly is or isn't going on in the functionality.

If it is due to missing bezel files, you will need to be aware that there are not bezels created for every game. If you are using the integrated MAME support in GameEx or GameEx Arcade Edition, you will need to set Use Bezel to Don't Use Bezel if you are using bezels that you have acquired from various sources and placed within the \Emulators\MAME\Artwork (or wherever your Artwork path is for your MAME install).

You keep mentioning marquee which is what keeps throwing me as this is a different piece of artwork. 

Can you do a screen capture or provide more information? Also, having copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files when reporting an issue or asking for help is often beneficial to us in helping you along. Click on the GameEx How to ask for help link in my signature for instructions on where to locate these files so you can attach them in reply to this thread (please do not copy & paste the contents!).

• Like 1

I think OP has found out that you can create your own .lay files and assumed it is simple.

OP is misguided but we won't condemn OP because he has gathered advice elsewhere.

What you seek is possible, misguided one, but it is not GameEx that thwarts you - it is MAME.

You must learn MAME inside and out to understand what .lay files are and what they can do.

Then, and only then can you understand how to manipulate them.

Whence you have gained this knowledge, you will wonder why you made this post, and we will accept you as a new acolyte B)

On 7/23/2017 at 8:56 PM, DazzleHP said:

I think OP has found out that you can create your own .lay files and assumed it is simple.

OP is misguided but we won't condemn OP because he has gathered advice elsewhere.

What you seek is possible, misguided one, but it is not GameEx that thwarts you - it is MAME.

You must learn MAME inside and out to understand what .lay files are and what they can do.

Then, and only then can you understand how to manipulate them.

Whence you have gained this knowledge, you will wonder why you made this post, and we will accept you as a new acolyte B)

Yeah, ok...  whatever yoda. You we better off not saying anything.

I looked into .lay files at one point thinking they would be something relatively simple and found that they were not. I didn't want to invest the time, so I let it go.

If you have found some resources that make the process easier, it would certainly be nice to hear about them.

• Like 2

I have appreciation for those that ask for help and, in the course of figuring things out, share back.

Then there are those that ask for help and then announce that they found a solution then disappear, only to return when they are stumped by something else.

• Like 1