All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Any interesting non-3D games for PlayStation?

shroud

I have recently tried out PS and PS2 emulation for the first time.

The latter is a bit too demanding on my PC (even tho according to the info on the PCSX2 emulator's website my PC and GFX card should be powerful enough), so I am focusing on PS only.

I am looking for suggestions on interesting games for the original PS, but all the popular ones are either FPS, beat'em ups, or sports, and to be honest I am not very keen on any of those kind... I am afraid that the reason is that I am actually a lot more interested in 2D games rather than 3D (with the exception of racing games)! Given that the PlayStation was largely 3D-oriented since the first model, it doesn't surprise me that it's hard to find popular 2D games for it.

Do you have any great 2D title to suggest? You can also still suggest me 3D games, as long as they are not FPS/beatemups/sports.

Wow good choices!  I was wracking my brain trying to think of some too.  There are some pretty good RPG if you're into those.. like Lunar Silver Star Story (just a remake with better graphics, music, and video cutsenes).  There's also the remakes of some Final Fantasy games.  If you're into shooters, there is Star Wars Rebel Assault 2, which is just a movie with user interaction (think Daphne era).  If you like that style, another good game is X-Files, watching a movie and picking the outcomes.  But yes, the games KRC suggested are probably the pick of the crop on 2D games.

• Like 1

Uhm... there are some games which are done both for DOS and Playstation, for example The Lost Vikings 2. Looking at the screeshots I don't see much difference. So I don't know if it's better to get the DOS or PS version...

I think there are some RTS games that are 2D.. like Command & Conquer and the like...  Riven (the sequel to Myst) is also a good game that doesn't rely on 3D, since it's all just a bunch of static images with the occasional pre-rendered video cut scene.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2017 at 0:54 PM, shroud said:

I am actually a lot more interested in 2D games rather than 3D (with the exception of racing games)!

Do you have any great 2D title to suggest? You can also still suggest me 3D games, as long as they are not FPS/beatemups/sports.

All the SHMUPS!! :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DazzleHP said:

All the SHMUPS!! :D

On 7/26/2017 at 1:14 AM, stigzler said:

Don't forget the myriad of puzzle games. Puzzle Bobble (b4 candy crush was even a twinkle in its father's eye...)

I will have to check both these categories out. I am quite a fan of puzzles, not so much of shoot'em ups, but generally speaking I always felt like they are a bit out of place in powerful systems. For some reason I tend to think that the best place for puzzles is portable systems :) for playing them on a train or in bed... As for shoot'em ups, everything after the 80s have typically left me unimpressed in gameplay (of course, the graphics can be gorgeous), but I am terribly outdated and can't name a single shmup released in the past 20 years. So feel free to pick some name for me!

• 3 weeks later...

Just came across these:

• Gex (Original was side scroll platform)
  • Heart of darkness
  • Pandemonium 1 and 2
  • Punky Skunk
  • Spider: The Video Game
  • Spoiler

• Spoiler

• Spoiler

I know, it's not strictly 2D, but it blends that feel with 3D and certainly qualifies as "interesting".

• Spoiler

• Spoiler

I forgot that Gex 1 was 2D...lol, I remember being disappointed it wasn't 3D. Heart of Darkness looks good for a 2D and gets touted as a forgotten jewel. Might be worth a play?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:54 AM, shroud said:

I have recently tried out PS and PS2 emulation for the first time.

The latter is a bit too demanding on my PC (even tho according to the info on the PCSX2 emulator's website my PC and GFX card should be powerful enough), so I am focusing on PS only.

I am looking for suggestions on interesting games for the original PS, but all the popular ones are either FPS, beat'em ups, or sports, and to be honest I am not very keen on any of those kind... I am afraid that the reason is that I am actually a lot more interested in 2D games rather than 3D (with the exception of racing games)! Given that the PlayStation was largely 3D-oriented since the first model, it doesn't surprise me that it's hard to find popular 2D games for it.

I know this post is old and my question may be irrelevant now but what are your specs? I Just Finally replaced my 8 year old Compaq with a refurbished Dell OptiPlex 9010 Intel i7-3770 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz and my old NVIDIA GeForce 210 1GB graphics card and I'm emulating PlayStation 2 on  PCSX2 and Nintendo Gamecube on Doldphin (practically) perfectly. It took some searching and playing with the settings but finally happy with them. Just curious cause I now my PC is Far from a "Gaming PC"

On 11/26/2017 at 2:53 AM, jonandbrandi said:

I know this post is old and my question may be irrelevant now but what are your specs? I Just Finally replaced my 8 year old Compaq with a refurbished Dell OptiPlex 9010 Intel i7-3770 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz and my old NVIDIA GeForce 210 1GB graphics card and I'm emulating PlayStation 2 on  PCSX2 and Nintendo Gamecube on Doldphin (practically) perfectly. It took some searching and playing with the settings but finally happy with them. Just curious cause I now my PC is Far from a "Gaming PC"

I have a GeForce GTX 550 Ti, but I don't think my problem is a low-end graphic card but rather a slow processor: AMD II 2.7GHz 4Gb RAM.

8 hours ago, shroud said:

I have a GeForce GTX 550 Ti, but I don't think my problem is a low-end graphic card but rather a slow processor: AMD II 2.7GHz 4Gb RAM.

Yeah from what I have been seeing AMDs aren't the best for emulation....... FYI I overstated on my initial comment.Nintendo Gamecube does not emulate properly on my system... 

38 minutes ago, jonandbrandi said:

Yeah from what I have been seeing AMDs aren't the best for emulation....... FYI I overstated on my initial comment.Nintendo Gamecube does not emulate properly on my system... 

I've always thought AMD's are a great bang for the buck and still do for PC gaming, but it does seem the nvidia cards have the edge on a wider variety of gaming platforms.

I still prefer AMD for my PC gaming rig and HTPC though, and like the fact that we have options (and competition) :P

10 hours ago, jonandbrandi said:

Yeah from what I have been seeing AMDs aren't the best for emulation.......

Well for my kind of emulation activities it works perfectly, but with that I mean I am usually not interested in anything that's newer than 20 years old :D The PS2 emulation was just a test on a day off...