All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

My Computer Has insomnia

RIP-Felix

I have an HTPC in my bedroom hooked up to my Entertainment center. This is great, however my computer is an INSOMNIAC!

It will randomly wake up in the middle of the night. I have a nMdeiaPC Pro-LCD information display on it that lights up when it turns on. It has a 750W power supply that makes an audible click when it power on, followed by the roaring of 5x cooling fans before my silent fan setting in BIOS kicks in to hush the beast. It also wakes my monitor which starts a light show in my room. While there's worse ways to be jolted awake at 2am, a simulated alien abduction is pretty bad. Ok maybe it's just the few seconds it takes for the dream state to wear off and full consciousness to impose reason, but it still make it hard to get a full nights rest. Especially when I ask myself why this is happening; Is my computer possessed? Am I being Hacked? That last one re-introduces the possibility I'm actually am being visited by aliens!

Begin a long search for possible solutions. Fast forward to the final solution. I was especially interested in disabling wake from LAN, just to remove the hacker possibility. Now I can sleep in peace, without the alien visitations. For those of you with computers in your bedroom, your welcome.

6 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

I have never had a problem with it but, there again, I have never left the PC in standby. Wake on LAN is also turned off in BIOS.

No no, my computer will wake from full shutdown, not sleep. I should check the UEFI sleep settings. It's been awhile but there used to be S2/S4 or what-have-you states that govern things like this.

I use my Logitech Harmony remote + an antec basic IR sensor for control. Full IR switching on from shutdown, no wake from sleep necessary. This way when I turn everything off my HTPC goes into full shutdown. I never use sleep, but my UEFI motherboard is aparantly not fully off, it will wake from full shutdown for scheduled updates, LAN wake for god knows what, even apps can schedule wake. Even from full off, unless I flip yhe power rocker switch on the back of the power supply. Stupid IMO. I had changed off hours, update times, anything I could think of until I found the above link. It hasn't happened again yet, but it hasn't been that long either (just a few days). Part of the problem is that my power schedule never lets my computer auto shutdown, I find it messes with things. So If it wakes when I'm on vacation the computer won't shut down. I think most people don't notice because it will shutdown or sleep after the event is finished and the user is none the wiser. I just notice more because of how I use it and where it's located.

It happened again Sunday. I went into UEFI (BIOS) and found the relevant settings. They were all disabled except 1 (allow OS event timer to wake computer from sleep). I disabled it and hopefully that will be the end of it. If not, I can't think of anything else.

I guess if the computer were a server, theses settings would be useful to allow remote users to wake it from sleep for access to the content.

EDIT:

Well, it happened again. So...nutz!