All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

IBM P260

tthurman

Any opinions on this as far as a CRT monitor for a cab?

It's a great monitor, I bought it ages ago new when the FD's where king, but it only saw nights and weekend duty before eventually giving way to an LCD.

The picture is great, and so I never brought myself to get rid of it, even though it's huge!  It's time I make a decision however, because I've been storing it for sooooo long now. 

I think a slim arcade or bartop would be cool.

I went to http://tvsizecalculator.com/ to see what the difference would be between a 21" vs a 27" (an average size for an arcade CRT). Quite a bit of difference as you will see here. I wonder if you can adapt a Raspberry Pi or others for VGA output? Would make for a decent 1 or 2 player bartop I would think.

4 hours ago, stigzler said:

little small for a cab?

Weren't most arcade games in the golden age 19 and 21"s?

1 hour ago, Draco1962 said:

slim arcade or bartop

Nothing slim about this beast.  The obvious downsides are the refresh rate and resolution is far higher than any arcade game and it's completely flat.  Regardless, it still is a CRT! 

Slim compared to 27" plus for most arcades on average. Yes, there were quite a few during the golden age that were smaller than yours. As for your refresh rates, etc. it should still be fine for the old stuff.

Factory Preset Resolution Modes
800 x 600 / 85 Hz
640 x 480 / 60 Hz
640 x 480 / 75 Hz
640 x 480 / 85 Hz
800 x 600 / 75 Hz
1024 x 768 / 85 Hz
1024 x 768 / 75 Hz
1280 x 1024 / 75 Hz
1280 x 1024 / 85 Hz
1600 x 1200 / 75 Hz
1600 x 1200 / 85 Hz
1920 x 1440 / 80 Hz

Does it have VGA or DVI-A connector?

3 hours ago, tthurman said:

Weren't most arcade games in the golden age 19 and 21"s?

Nothing slim about this beast.  The obvious downsides are the refresh rate and resolution is far higher than any arcade game and it's completely flat.  Regardless, it still is a CRT! 

You may have a point, T. I still think in terms of if you're building your own cab, you may as well have a display that fills the width of your cab. Unless you're building a cab that's 10 foot wide. Then that'd be silly. It'd hurt your eyes.