All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

New Car!

Draco1962

Well, after struggling with a family bankruptcy following my job loss in 2009 and dealing with a '99 Honda Civic for the last 3 years that wants to overheat frequently and the brakes have gone, I have decided to buy a new car.

I have decided on a 2017 Kia Soul+ . Not many bells and whistles, it looks like a Pokeball on wheels, but drives nice and has more to offer than what I have now.

20170709_161950.jpg

• Like 2

Beats my 2006 Stratus that's on it's last leg. I'm thinking of getting a Focus this time around... And I put my own bells and whistles in. ;)

Agreed. One of the first things I will be adding is seat covers and floor liners. Want to keep it clean and preserve the interior as much as possible. I may add some interior lighting for under the seats. Just need to get it home first... 

I'm still driving a 2000 Toyota Camry, never had any issues (except fender benders) and normal maintenance. The Transmission is starting to slip and I'm thinking about a new car myself. 17 years so far, and probably a few more before the tranny goes is pretty good. I had a 1996 Buick century before that, it's transmission did the same thing and died on me in 2008. So we got 12 years total out of it:mellow:. Since 2000 my family's had 4x Toyota's (2005 Avalon, 2007 Prius, 2005 Carolla, and my 2000 Camry) and none of them had issues in their first 10 years.

Actually, I'm very impressed with Toyota engineering. My dad's Ford "aurus" (It was a Taurus before the T fell off) had the AC seize up and burn up the fan belt. My Camry used 2 belts in a triangle pattern with the alternator on top. It's extremely easy to replace the alternator and belt, just loosen a tension bolt and take both out. The "aurus" uses a bolt you have to wrench on and hold against the force of the tension spring while you snake the common belt around everything in a pattern you have to look up. It's cramped and can't be easily done. Moreover, his door seals leaks and the passenger seat gets wet when it rains. He's had other expensive issues throughout the life of the car, about every 2 years. I think he just paid it off, and now it's nearing the end of it's life. Don't buy a Ford Taurus, it is by far the worst car we've owned.

In fair disclosure the Prius is being serviced for an electrical issue today that was quoted between $150 - $600, depending on the source of the issue. The dashboard lights will refuse to come on (includes the speedometer!) until you cycle the ignition sequence a few times. It could be a defective component that costs $600, which Toyota was replacing for free until 2015. I'm pissed they didn't tell us about it, but I guess they don't have to unless it's recalled. Or it could be a 12V batt that costs $150. We'll see what it actually is later today. Otherwise the Prius has been awesome. The savings in Gas is way more than this issue, and this is it's only offense so far. That's pretty good IMO. We have numerous friends with Prius' and the story is the same, very little maintenance. So I'm convinced that the 2000 extra parts is not a major issue. I though it might be, but 10 year later, It has proved otherwise. 

My grandpa owned a lot of American cars throughout the years, but bought the Avalon after my mom proved Toyota to him. While he had trouble with his Ford, Dodge and Chrysler, the Toyota's never had anything, until today really. He was always doing something on those (he did a lot of the work himself), but mentioned he's never needed to open the hood on the Avalon. He was converted too.

So I endorse Toyota. I've never owned a Toyota truck, but you still see old Toyota beaters on the road, so I figure they must live up to the same standard as their sedans. That's my 2c.