All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Metal Slug X

July-August 2017 GOTM Winner: ExedExes - 1,596,380 (link)

Metal Slug X
Metal Slug X Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 Luigimaker 2,043,700 Luigimaker's Hi-Score Entry
2 ExedExes 1,596,380 ExedExes's Hi-Score Entry
3 rtkiii 1,305,630 rtkiii's Hi-Score Entry
4 hansolo77 1,136,600 hansolo77's Hi-Score Entry
5 forest4585 1,013,660 forest4585's Hi-Score Entry
6 patrickfx 990,050 patrickfx's Hi-Score Entry
7 murve33 955,040 murve33's Hi-Score Entry
8 GimmeClassics 734,740 GimmeClassics's Hi-Score Entry
9 millerbrad 677,630 millerbrad's Hi-Score Entry
10 Cynicaster 428,730 Cynicaster's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by hansolo77: 03-14-2019

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Metal Slug X:

ROMSet: MSlugX
Hero: 3
Continue: Off
Difficulty: Level 4
Play Time: 60
Play Manual: ON
Blood: ON or Off
Credit/Level: ON/ON
Language: English
Special Rules: This is a Single Player ONLY Variation! You may freely choose from any available character. Continues are NOT allowed!

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting your hi-score: :link:

An upgraded version of Metal Slug 2, titled Metal Slug X, was released in March 1999 for the Neo Geo MVS. It fixed slowdown problems from the original game, and increased the difficulty. Metal Slug X also introduced some new elements to the game system;

• Much of the music has been remixed or altered.
  • A new announcer
  • Many stages have the time of day changed. Instead of individual levels being set at either day or night, the stages can take place at dusk, twilight, or sunset.
  • It is now possible for the player character to become fat by collecting food items in every stage after Mission 2; in the original game, the obese transformation was only possible in Mission 4.
  • All levels contain an increased enemy count and new enemy placements, as well as different enemy characters, and new boss placements.
  • Vehicle types and locations are different.
  • There are more power-ups, POWs, and items (particularly food) in each mission. These items are often hidden.
  • Many environmental elements have different reactions when shot, such as exploding with unexpected results or randomly spewing out items or enemies.
  • Stronger versions like the heavy machine gun, flameshot, shotgun, laser rifle, and rocket launcher are available. Each deals more damage than their normal counterpart, has a different appearance and a wider (or longer) area of impact. If the player happens to be fat while using these heavier weapons, they appear differently and can cause even more damage.
  • Several new weapons are included: Stones, Iron Lizard, Enemy Chaser, Super Grenade, Drop Shot, and a new Golden Metal Slug, which is available in Mission 3.
  • Added Fio's death sound (In Metal Slug 2, she uses Eri's)
  • The original art for Metal Slug is shown at the end of the game while the credits are rolling, instead of the black screen used in Metal Slug 2.

-- Quote from Wikipedia

• Like 1

Alright ya'll... this is our first 2-month GOTM competition.  And it's a doozie!  I love the Metal Slug series, and this one is no exception!  Here's a bit of info for you though.  There are some settings you need to change before you can play this game with our (TwinGalaxies) rules.  The way to change them though is a bit tricky.  Simply accessing MAME's DIP settings isn't enough.  You see, this was a cartridge-based system.  The DIP's only change the global arcade settings, where as the per-game settings are built into the cartridge.  To access these settings, get the game loaded and running, then press F2 on your keyboard.  This will bring up the internal system's settings.  (Sorry for my screenshots, I don't know how to configure MAME to not include the panel artwork (let me know!))  Scroll down to SETTING UP THE SOFT DIP:

0001.png

Enter the menu with A or B, then select SLOT1 METAL SLUG X:

0002.png

Then make your changes... specifically CONTINUE to OFF, BLOOD if interested:

0003.png

Then scroll down off the page to go to the 2nd menu:

0004.png

Then continue making changes.. specifically CREDIT/LEVEL to ON/ON, and COUNTRY to USA.  That's it.  You'll then press button D or 4, or whatever you use for bombs/grenades to back all the way out, and select EXIT to reboot the machine.

That's it!  As a courtesy, please verify you've done this prior to submitting a screenshot.  It's important to make sure we're all on the same page.  I did a test run, killing a few guys then purposely dying.  If you choose to continue, it WILL keep your score, so strictly adhering to the NO CONTINUES rule is paramount.  Thanks guys, happy playing!

• Like 4

Sorry buddy, but your score wasn't meant to last! :P

Actually, it's pretty good, considering this version with these settings is pretty difficult.  I only managed to make it half way through Stage 2 (Egypt).  Like all Metal Slug games, remember to rescue the POW's, don't spam on the guns because they don't last forever, and take your time!  Follow the patterns on the big boss guys.

Also.. does anybody know how to turn off all the artwork when taking screenshots?  It's still annoying..

Initials: HAN
Score: 629,150
Stage: 2 (Egypt)

0006.png

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• Like 2

Aside from shoot-em-ups, there aren't many types of games from the "insert coin to continue" era of arcade gaming that I like very much.  Reason being, the games are usually designed around "getting to the end" rather than interesting scoring systems.  In the process, they fleece the player of as much money as possible -- often going through phases (boss battles, etc.) where credits last about 5 seconds.

So, run and gun games like Metal Slug aren't normally my bag, but I have to admit, this game is pretty awesome.  The detail in the graphics and animations is outstanding and you can tell they really took a lot of care in designing this game.   

y4mGuW3Ssf9dwBOwBN8rWVclQ5-sLMItEI_RFDDU

• Like 1

I have a feeling this won't last for long.  But I'm happy with the #1 spot for now :)  I remember playing this on my cabinet years back but never really gave it a chance since the others slowed down so much...but this plays great.

No continues - set

808,730 - RTK

Note I do you do not see may cabinet in these shots...but it is still me.  Still in process of moving.

20170719_222825.jpg

28 minutes ago, hansolo77 said:

:o Wow, what did you do differently to improve your score by 600k?

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Bonuses you get at the end of stage 1.  That is the key.  Certain amount for all the POWs you save, so try not to die during boss fight or all those are gone.  And you get a huge bonus for still having your tank.  I probably played for 1 1/2 hours last night :)

• Like 1

actually not 100% sure how I got the the tank bonus.  I ahave completed it two times since without dieing and having the tank but dont see that bonus I originally got.

Did make a little better score but I feel I can get better

20170721_214919.jpg

Maybe there is some secret bonus drop you picked up.  The kind where you have to meet a certain criteria in order for it to show up.  Or maybe you just got lucky and grabbed whatever it was and just never saw it again.  I know I've gone through and collected every POW on the first level and didn't get anything crazy.  Maybe I just don't remember. 

Spoiler

I've been feeling kind of sick lately.  Might be heat exhaustion.  I've had this massive migraine for 3 days now.  Wish my doctor would just accept that I have them and move on with a proper diagnosis and treatment rather than troubleshooting possible unrelated symptoms like toothaches and needing new glasses.  While true, I've still had these since I was 12, so I know it's something more that.

Updated OP, DB, RSS

No doubt there's a catch to the 1st boss.  Seems like he takes forever to kill to me.  I've only made it to stage 2 once so far.  Gotta try to get at least 800k before I post a new score.  Nice to see some renewed enthusiasm.  Looks like the plan to run this for 2 months this time might have been an good idea.  :)

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• Like 1

You guys are getting these scores without even beating the first boss? Dang, I must be missing something score-wise. I can fairly consistently make it to the second level. Even to the second boss a couple times.

The trick to the first boss is to stand underneath it once it lifts itself up in its legs. Don't try this on the camel, though, (unless you're better than me) because its gun doesn't aim fast enough to hit the rockets coming from the sides.