All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RetroRig] Ataroid

stigzler

AtaroidLogo.png

Ladies and Gentlemen (OK, Gentlemen), may I present....Ataroid!

It's not some bizarre cross between a star system and a colonic condition, rather one between an Atari 2600 and an Odroid. Here's the skinny:

Specs:

• CPU: 8 Cores @ 2GHz- Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex™-A15 2Ghz and Cortex™-A7 Octa core CPUs
  • RAM: 2Gigs- 2Gbyte LPDDR3 RAM PoP stacked
  • Onboard ROM: 32 GB eMMC5.0 HS400 Internal Flash Storage
  • Stroage: 1TB USB3 Internal Storage
  • Rear Ports: 2xUSB2, 1xSPDIF Optical Out, 1xPhono out, HDMI Out, 1xGBit Ethernet
  • Connectivity: WiFi, Bluetooth and Xbox360 Controllers.
  • Expansion: 4x powered USB3 ports still available inside the chassis.

Systems Emulated (at full speed, with minimal glitches):

• From Vectrex..
  • Up to N64, PSP, Dreamcast and Playstation 1.
  • Also runs Kodi @ 1080p with 5.1 DTS Audio out.

Video

Further Info and Build Pics

Here

Pictures

(Click to see all)

IMAG0833.jpg

IMAG0835.jpg

IMAG0838.jpg

IMAG0843.jpg

IMAG0844.jpg

IMAG0850.jpg

IMAG0851.jpg

IMAG0853.jpg

IMAG0854.jpg

IMAG0859.jpg

IMAG0700.jpg

IMAG0832.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks, man.

Yeah - getting towards the final stages of my cab too, so head down and cracking on with final software setups and then to sideart, control panel coverings and lastly, the plexy and marquee bezel. Then..done! 

Someone needs to learn how to play Mario Kart!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is one of the cleanest PC-in-a-2600 mods I have seen. The lines of the 2600 are not disturbed, nothing is just hanging out the sides, professionally drilled holes for the HDMI, LAN and USB ports. VERY sweet. My only lament is a 6-switch Sunnyvale seems to be the donor. Ah well!

Also I didn't know an Odroid existed. Everyone is so up on Raspberry Pi that it never occurred to me to look for other types of mini pcs. The specs on this look superior to a Pi for the same costs. $56 is a nice price for that!

What's the blue display in the cartridge port?

EDIT: Saw the picture up close. 6-switch light sixer out of Hong Kong. No Sunnyvale release system here! I am 100% sold! :)

• Like 1

Hell I would do the same to a heavy sixer body if the inside was fried. I know, sacrilege, but how many are in garbage dumps already because of a fried board?

I like that the switches remain and at least one is operational. Curious as well about the cartridge port.

1 hour ago, ClassicGMR said:

Someone needs to learn how to play Mario Kart!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wasn't going there, but that doesn't mean I wasn't thinking it :Dsorry sttigz

In fairness,it's awfully hard to play while making a video.

If it had been a heavy sixer, but was dead, why not?

Mae culpa. I suck at mario.

Thanks fellas. The odroid xu4 is a bit more expensive than the rpi3, but totally worth it for the incresed specs. Also handles n64, psp, dreamcast and psx with ease. 

Yerp, its crammed, hans, but designed to be tiered to allow airflow from the fans with components on nylon standoffs to each other. Alot to get in including a pico psu to split the voltage rails into 12 and 5v supplies and power the usb3 hub and a 1tb drive!

I wouldnt gut a heavy sixer. Those bad boys need to be gathered in one place and rennovated as far and as numerously as possible. This one was dead.

Damn.. I guess the questions about the blue in the cartridge slot were innevitable.. originally intended to be  a 2x16 character display to display system and game  dets etc.. sadly, the image im using (batocera) is great but very locked down so hard to install custom scripts. Also the dev is french, so hard to communicate with. His english is as bad as my french.

So left it 95% complete. A state of being I need very much to learn!

I may give something like this a go one day. Maybe with one of the Atari 8-bit PC shells since the 800XL was one of my first PCs. While there wouldn't be much room inside, I could use the shell of an Atari 1050 floppy drive for HDD storage and USB hub? Who knows. 

fa2b568dbdb20e77da72dcb0a2b27515--disk-d

That'd be a nice resto, Draco + looking at that pic, I bet you could easily fit a usb HD in the computer. 

My mate's just lost his dad and he was reciting stories of his youth with his ZX Spectrum+. So I'm gonna knock him one together using a RPi3 which also gives me practice with Pi's (never had one before):

ZXSpectrum128.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah - these NUCs are interesting. Interesting build - especially liked the keyboard integration. However, the back looked a bit scrappy. 

You going for a NUC build, Draco? If so - be interested to see/hear about progress.