All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Stuck in 640x480

For a little over a week Auto Quality and BestHD are not moving up to 1280x720.  Anyone else having problems?  I have a Sling 350 if that's important. Any troubleshooting suggestions.  Firefox and I.E. want to install new plugins if I try to go to watch.slingbox.com (which I didn't install).   

Hello Alan

I'm no longer hacking at this project so I can't help with your issue - perhaps Sling changed something with the firmware, I don't know.

I have actually spent some time in the past couple of years developing an alternative solution. It's not Slingbox-based and requires setting up your own hardware components (a PC to act as encoder, a capture device to capture the AV and an IR transmitter to control the STB) and although it is more complicated to initially setup, the end result is pleasing. With the right hardware it also supports HEVC which means you can get very good quality for around 35-40% less bandwidth. I've written players for PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and tvOS.

I don't know whether I am allowed to link to my project's website here, so I'd better not, but if you would like to know more then drop me a PM. The software I have written is free; it's something I've purely done for myself for fun/the challenge rather than something I am trying to monetise.

Cheers

Oliver

Wow... This sounds interesting.  I'll definitely will take a look.

WRT to my original problem.  Big human error.  Kids put the original source into 640x480 over component without telling me.  I was able to figure this out and eventually fix it with an extended remote troubleshooting session.  

Even with the bonehead error, I'm glad I posted and will take a look at your new project.  Thanks for replying to my post

• 2 months later...