All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

9.29.17, The golden age of 16 bit gaming returns

tthurman

I wonder if the Star Fox 2 ROM they use is the same unlicensed one that's floating around the internet.  I remember reading that the NES classic, while being manufactured by Nintendo completely in-house, they chose to use ROMs that had been downloaded from the internet and patched to work with Emulators due to the requirement of various addon chips inside the carts.  That bit of discovery really put people of the edge at the absurdity of their release.  I mean, Nintendo has the original software, so why release a product that has ROMs that needed to be hacked before they were playable?  Surely they could make their own versions without the requirement, and maybe add a layer of software encryption to prevent mods.  I'm interested to see if they did the same thing with the SNES, releasing a cutesy piece of hardware, with ROMs acquired from the internet.  And with Star Fox 2 being included, the only available source I know of is the online communities.  I just feel like Nintendo has lost it.  If I were in charge, I'd add a layer a of encryption, and an online function to allow the purchase and download of additional games for like $1 a game.  The encryption would prevent hackers from downloading the ROM (which would be pointless anyway with every ROM already available online), and I'd get a buck for each download.  Heck, I'd even upgrade the system to include a feature like Online team play, so you can play 2 player games with your siblings in different houses, or friends, etc.  Then I'd "kick it up a notch" and add RetroAchievements, although I'd probably want to create my own version of it rather than support a 3rd party.  There's a lot of GOOD stuff Nintendo could do here, but they're going to drop the ball again.. just wait and see.

Goes without saying, but if you want one of these, jump quickly if you see a pre-order. 

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/821931/SNES-Classic-Mini-pre-orders-official-Nintendo-UK-Store-Super-Nintendo

Personally, I'd prefer this version over the NES classic, and may grab one if I have the opportunity.

Celebration!

I played a lot of Madden (95 I think) on the SNES, and would have loved to have seen one in the mix, but the game choices on here look pretty solid.

Nintendo has already said the supplies wouldn't be unlimited, but I suspect we'll see a good bit more than this initial offering.

<edit> I mean come on, you didn't think they would build tons on those ugly ass UK versions without having a pretty good idea they'd sell first, did ya?  :lol:

I think it has been discussed in one form or fashion with Han's NES RPi conversion or about anywhere you look. I am sure from Nintendont's perspective it is a sin, but I say whatever floats your boat. 

I am still toying with the idea of adding a RPi and an SSD externally to the back of my Tankstick.

• Like 2

I don't see the sin in repurposing a broken console.  Yes, I had intended to do what I did from the beginning.  But I bought a console that was no longer working to "bring it back to life".  I'm actually in the process of building another one.  It's not nearly as "Frankenstein's Monster" as the NintendoPi turned out (which I still update and play on almost daily!).  I'm building a dedicated PS1 using original hardware and a 4tb USB drive to hold the roms and preview videos/etc.  I have a working prototype with USA and JAPAN roms already.  Working on getting the European bits now.  I even modified and created my own theme.  Look for a post about it in the future.  :)

GAME UK STORES WITH SNES MINI PRE-ORDER STOCK AVAILABLE

• GAME Gloucester

• GAME Burton On Trent

• GAME Wellingborough

• GAME Aberdeen

• GAME Ilford

• GAME Camden Town

• GAME Northfield

• GAME Haywards Heath

• GAME Cheshire Oaks

• GAME Morecambe

• GAME Scarborough

• GAME Eltham

• GAME Accrington

• GAME Camberley

• GAME Harrogate

• GAME Hull Superstore

• GAME Croydon

• GAME Westwood Cross

• GAME Glasgow Union Street

• GAME Bolton

• GAME Workington

• GAME Edinburgh Ocean Terminal

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/825926/SNES-Classic-Mini-pre-order-UPDATE-Game-Super-Nintendo

• Like 1

Out of stock again, 5 hours after posting. I've gotta say, Nintendo are really annoying me with this - it's a cynical manipulation of people. They need to grow up. Or maybe they never did and thus they've stayed nintendo!

However, nope. I stick by it. Nintendo - grow up.

(So I can buy one of you ikkle SNESs so I can take it apart and put stuff in it so I can play any game I want on it and I'll feel rich, like a king or summat, coz I'm 43 going on 9)