All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

9.29.17, The golden age of 16 bit gaming returns

tthurman

Man it's no wonder the SNES is so popular with people nowadays.  I was always a Sega Genesis fanboy.  But that was mostly due to the fact it was the system we had.  Seeing a lot of these tech breakdown videos, it makes me yearn to to play these games now.  I kinda wanna buy a mini too, but with the hassle it's causing for everybody to pre-order, and the debacle over the NES mini, I think I'll just stick to emulation for the time being.

Not to mention there's already credible rumors circulating that it's going to be an n64 mini next Christmas. ;)

I'd buy the NES, SNES, and N64 classic editions if I could get my hands on them. But then again, I have NES and N64 original editions sitting right in front of me as I type this.

Spoiler

I never could get my hands on a SNES back in the day, I missed the Goodwill window and never did get one on ebay or amazon (I may, just haven't yet). I too was more of a Genesis guy, mainly because it was the 1 modern system we could afford to buy (Not because it way cheap, but because we were dirt poor). We nagged mom and SEGA was all we got from the 16-bit era. We had my dad's old Arari 2600 and a bunch of games. I still have it with the game/console case, but the console broke long ago (I'm wondering how hard it would be to fix). My cousin's cousin had the SNES. A daycare and school I went to had one. Growing up I rarely got to play the SNES much, but when I did it was way better than what we had on Genesis. My friend had the NES. Later, another of my friends got the N64, which BLEW my mind! My fanatic relentless nagging finally payed off with my own N64, the same one that still adorns my entertainment center now! Around that time my dad got into games and we got a PS1, another awesome system (my personal fav)! Then we stayed up late and got a Dreamcast the day it released, so under rated! Then PS2...and then the modern era IMO.

Atari 2600 - PS2 is my definition of retro,  because it was the era encompassing my childhood. Those are the systems I emulate and buy/collect because they are the childhood memories I get all nostalgic about. So yeah...I'll buy these classic edition consoles (if I can get them), HD remakes of childhood favorites (I just picked up the Crash Bandicoot insane trilogy), and so on. I'd say if it wasn't for emulation, I'd have lost interest in video games as a whole long ago. It was the emulation hobby that kept me interested in retro gaming until the big boys realized there was a market for those old games still and decided to make these retro mini consoles. I'd defiantly support that effort, if I could buy one!

If the scalping bots keep buying up the inventory and reselling for 200-500% markup, I'll just buy the old system used and the games separately like I have been. It's nostalgic to play on original hardware and CRT anyway.

Keeping it real with ya, I just found Gamesome for my Fire TV, and it looks like it's a much better alternative since it works like a front end for all sorts of Android emulators (including RetroArch cores), so my SNES games are just as playable, I get the benefits of s front end (box art, database info, etc) and I have the freedom to choose my ROMs.

I just can't justify the expense for the case and the need to add another component to my entertainment center.

/my 2c

51 minutes ago, Adultery said:

...I just can't justify the expense for the case and the need to add another component to my entertainment center.

/my 2c

True enough. In terms of the space required, these little systems don't require much and that appeals to me. I'd probably get an HDMI switch for the retro consoles (Be nice to find one I with CEC so it automatically switches to the active component. Or IR for control with my harmony remote). It's really the nostalgic diminutive case design that appeals to me. I'll admit it's an impulse buy, not something I need.

Getting back to the SNES classic ed. Novelty requires inventory, so people can impulse buy when they see it instead of loosing interest during the many months it takes to track one down. Nintendo is dropping the ball and missing the opportunity. Even if they overproduce, the inventory will eventually sell. There's a constant conveyor belt of kids reaching the age these products make a coveted gift. So even if they don't sell out in the 4th quarter, they'll sell throughout the following year. Marketers employ statisticians to predict the Mean number of units that will sell in a quarter, and they are very good at their jobs. The decision to under produce (to completely sell out immediately) vs. over produce (to provide more than enough to meet Christmas demand) is negligent, especially if they "underestimate" the demand again. If that happens, we will know they are doing it on purpose. To what end? To drive kids crazy, to make headlines, to generate buzz, to bait and and sell the Switch - Which did not release with a virtual console, but Nintendo has confirmed it's coming. So, that may be their endgame for selling these short. Plus it creates a collectable market, which Nintendo is infamous for...so there's that too.

Yerp - what that guy said. They're being arrogant and far too erroneously self-aggrandising for my tastes. They're not the only player int this market and actually, when it comes down to it, they target kids with their inferior hardware to their competitors. Which is a bit cheap really. I think they're over-rated. 

10 minutes ago, stigzler said:

Yerp - what that guy said. They're being arrogant and far too erroneously self-aggrandising for my tastes. They're not the only player int this market and actually, when it comes down to it, they target kids with their inferior hardware to their competitors. Which is a bit cheap really. I think they're over-rated. 

Agreed, but they hold the right to Mario, Zelda, Starfox, Metroid...Dam you Nintendo!!! Please please me too, not just the 5-12 year old! I WANT TO LOVE YOU!!! I'M REALLY TRYING.

Pah. tbh - on Mario and Starfox - they're dining out on past glories on those ones. I'm not sure of my history, but essentially Mario is just a platformer and not even sure Mario/DK was the first of these? As for Starfox - sure - great idea, but picked up and ran with/bettered in the next generation.

Zelda: granted. 

Metroid - equally likeable, but not sure standing alone these days. 

Man, I never realised I disliked Nintendo so much! They just feel like corporate, money-grabbing pigs to me. 

22 minutes ago, Adultery said:

This is the switch I have. Maybe it works for you too. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV1XBIY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_trrAzbX8KFZ4X

Perfect! Added to my cart, thanks. 4 ports is perfect. NES, SNES, Genesis, and if they make the N64 classic ed. I'll be ready.

oh, I should ask about input lag? If you use this with consoles, do you notice any lag?

34 minutes ago, stigzler said:

Pah. tbh - on Mario and Starfox - they're dining out on past glories on those ones. I'm not sure of my history, but essentially Mario is just a platformer and not even sure Mario/DK was the first of these? As for Starfox - sure - great idea, but picked up and ran with/bettered in the next generation.

Zelda: granted. 

Metroid - equally likeable, but not sure standing alone these days. 

Man, I never realised I disliked Nintendo so much! They just feel like corporate, money-grabbing pigs to me. 

No thread crapping please :D

:lol:

Perfect! Added to my cart, thanks. 4 ports is perfect. NES, SNES, Genesis, and if they make the N64 classic ed. I'll be ready.

oh, I should ask about input lag? If you use this with consoles, do you notice any lag?

Mine runs an Xbox One, my cable box and my Fire TV. My kids would have mentioned lag of there was any since they play a lot of FPS. I wouldn't notice it for the retro stuff I play.

I have one of those same 4port HDMI switches... I think I got a lot of interference, or bad HDMI cables or something.  Maybe the power cable isn't providing enough juice.  The first one I had kept having issues with the signal going out, or glitching all the time.  The replacement is better, but I still get the occasional issue.