All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Model 2 Database Problem

spiffo

Hi everyone.

So I'm just putting  my system together and everything is going ok, but when I add the Model 2 Emulator is doesn't download a Database like the other ones did. After some searching it looks as if there isn't a Model 2 Database at present, is that correct?

Anyway so I think well how hard can it be so I set about writing one in sqlite using the Atari 5200 one as a guide, so I gave it a go and here it is attached.

I put it in Data\Emulators folder with the other ones and I made sure it's selected in the GameEX AE Setup Wizard for the Model 2 Emulator.

Only trouble is that it doesn't work, no artwork gets downloaded, nothing seems to happen at all when I run up GameEx, could anyone with any knowledge of Database structure tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks, spiffo.

[Arcade] Sega Model 2.db3

Likely it isn't the database but how you are going about it. Can you attach copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files for us to review?

Just so you are aware, I have this setup with Model 2 and Model 3 in the integrated support and all games show as expected. My guess is that the data is being pulled from the MAME database.

OK, attached are the Sega Model 3 Database that was automatically dowloaded when I added the Emulator and my Sega Model 2 Database in which I've copied the structure of the Model 3 one.

When I fire up the Front End only artwork for the Model 3 is downloaded from EmuMovies, the Model 2 is just ignored.

Can anyone shed some light on:

1 Why there isn't an official Model 2 Database?

2 What is wrong with mine so it doesn't work?

Thanks for your help, spiffo

[Arcade] Sega Model 2.db3

[Arcade] Sega Model 3.db3

GameEx.ini

@spiffo

Model2 and Model3 are set up in GameEx to work with the Integrated Mame. They each have their own section in the Setup Wizard. If these are enabled and configured properly, when GameEx runs a game from the Mame menu that it recognizes as Model2/3, instead of using the Mame executable it will use the Model2/Model3 emulator.

As far as GameEx goes, it does not intend Model2/3 to be a stand alone emulator, so there is no database (and I doubt there will be) because it expects to pull the game data from the Mame database.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RedDog said:

@spiffo

Model2 and Model3 are set up in GameEx to work with the Integrated Mame. They each have their own section in the Setup Wizard. If these are enabled and configured properly, when GameEx runs a game from the Mame menu that it recognizes as Model2/3, instead of using the Mame executable it will use the Model2/Model3 emulator.

As far as GameEx goes, it does not intend Model2/3 to be a stand alone emulator, so there is no database (and I doubt there will be) because it expects to pull the game data from the Mame database.

Well said and thank you.

I didn't think of it before, but if you want them as separate emulators, I don't see why you couldn't just select the Arcade (Mame) database in the emulator setup. I would think it would work just fine. Just download and put it in the DATA\EMULATORS folder first.

OK, I'll give that a go.

If that's the way it's done fair enough, although that isn't obvious because their seperate setup sections only appear if you run the Setup Wizard in 'Advanced' Mode. If you run it in 'Basic' Mode they do not appear and that's what I was doing so I didn't realise.

Also It confused me because the last time I tried to use MAME for running Model2/3 ROMs it did not work.

That may have been about three years ago mind, come to think of it.

Thanks fo your help anyhow.

You are still running the respective software for the Model 2 and Model 3 emulators (i.e., Sega Model 2 Emulator, Nebula or the like for Model 2, Supermodel for Model 3), but it is accessing the MAME db for the information or the respective ROMs you have installed. 

Yep, I can see that you still use the respective Emulators, m2emulator for Model 2 and supermodel for Model 3.

Unless I'm missing something though, if you don't install them as seperate Emulators you miss out on a lot of customisation options and in particular, access to custom Command Line arguments, which is vital for getting proper XBOX 360 Controller support working in supermodel for instance.

@spiffo I don't know a lot about the model2/3 emulators. It sounds like you are more informed...but GameEx Arcade does include an Options field for Model 3 where command line switches can be added. I assume that will fulfill your needs as far as the Model3 emulator.

If there are Model2 command line options that GameEx or GameEx Arcade does not currently support but could benefit from could benefit from, you could submit a post in the Features & Enhancement Request thread.

Of course, if running either of these as a separate emulator is your preference and you can get all of the functionality that you are looking for out of it, then you should be able to do that. There is nothing wrong with going that route if it works for you.

2 hours ago, spiffo said:

Yep, I can see that you still use the respective Emulators, m2emulator for Model 2 and supermodel for Model 3.

Unless I'm missing something though, if you don't install them as seperate Emulators you miss out on a lot of customisation options and in particular, access to custom Command Line arguments, which is vital for getting proper XBOX 360 Controller support working in supermodel for instance.

I am pretty sure my Xbox 360 controller works just fine. Sure, you may have to go into Supermodel and configure a few things outside of GameEx, but otherwise, no issues.

The Left and Right triggers on the 360 Controller can't work as Accelerator and Brake in the Driving games unless you add -input-system=xinput to the command line, and make some changes to the key assignments in the supermodel.ini file.

It's all discussed on the supermodel forums, anyway we are getting way off topic???

Thanks for everyone's input, I've learnt a lot but I'll just stick with them as add on Emulators it gives me a lot more flexibility and I'll just have to configure all the artwork manually.

Thanks, spiffo.