All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Steering Wheels For Games?

KRC

You are kind of vague with your reqs lol

same price. You also need to buy the manual shift separately if you want true racing on the xbox. That will set you back bout 40-50 quid.

G27 vs G920 = same bit of kit, only one has xbox one drivers, the other does not.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2017 at 1:22 PM, stigzler said:

I use this on my cab. It's awesome. Force feedback/steering scope (360/270 degrees etc)/wheel stiffness all adjustable. Easily modifiable to fit onto a cab too.

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/driving-force-gt

Can pick up reasonably cheap on ebay,. too.

I want to second this recommendation.  I started looking at these after it got the nod from stigz, and while I haven't had a chance to plug this up to my gaming rig, I did become completely absorbed in GT5 last night on my PS3.  The experience is completely different with this wheel.

I was a doubter without question, as I once purchased a Thurstmaster Formula T2; which was quite popular back in the day, but it always seemed lacking to me.

The Driving Force GT is an entirely different world, and takes the driving experience to the next level.  Most definitely a game changer!  Had to watch several for a decent deal, but ended up picking it up used on ebay for $75 USD including shipping.

Looks like I'll be building a mount so I can incorporate it into the rotation on ToddZilla.

• Like 1

I can vouch for the Driving Force GT! Really good wheel and at a bargain price nowadays too. I'm using it in my cab with MAME, DeMUL, Supermodel, M2 and PC (via Steam).

Most MAME driving games play well. If a game was originally fitted with an optical wheel though, it can be difficult to get it set up correctly.

Some pictures of it in my cab here that may be of help/inspiration to you. :)

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, the_greeze said:

Some pictures of it in my cab here that may be of help/inspiration to you. :)

Damn - that's a truly fine build. Original, polished and high spec.....

One of the finest builds I've seen in a while... You have posted this over @ byoac, right?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stigzler said:

One of the finest builds I've seen in a while... You have posted this over @ byoac, right?

Thank you! Nah, can't say I have. I keep trying to get around to doing a dedicated website (for the driving cab, pinball and videogame cab etc.) but haven't found the time yet. I will get it done though; a central place to document my madness!

3 minutes ago, stigzler said:

New google sites is sweet. And will dovetail with your google photos seamlessly. 

I was thinking of Wix actually as I really like their interface and I own both the 'arcadetimewarp.com' & 'arcadetimewarp.co.uk' domain names and can migrate them over.

I should have been more thorough in my previous reply, i was in a bit of a hurry ^.^

The G920 is the Xbox replacement of the G27 (the G29 being the PS version). It works on Xbox One, the upcoming Xbox One X and PC. (W10 recognises it as soon as it is attached)

A ridiculously detailed (and honest) review:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1070-logitech-g920-g29-driving-force/

Those are nice wheels, but for a casual racer like myself, it's hard to justify that expense.

That, and many consider the G27 the superior wheel, and that these are rebadged versions of it, with a price increase of course.  You can see that's not entirely true, as evidenced by the controller layout on the wheel itself, but the add-on snifter is sort of double dipping when it was included in the previous model, and for considerably less.

The Driving Force GT seems to be one hell of a "bang for your buck", but then again I've never got a hold of these more advanced models.

For the price, I may as well buy a flight yoke and pedals. Not that they can be used in the same way as a racing wheel, but I am more into the flight sims which would be more at home. I am considering one of these stands along with the Saitek series yoke, pedals, switches, etc. so it can be easily moved to the side when doing other gaming activities.

If going for the full racing experience you may as well spring for one of these racing cockpits

On 6/23/2017 at 1:22 PM, stigzler said:

I use this on my cab. It's awesome. Force feedback/steering scope (360/270 degrees etc)/wheel stiffness all adjustable. Easily modifiable to fit onto a cab too.

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/driving-force-gt

Can pick up reasonably cheap on ebay,. too.

Works both PS3 and PC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Draco1962 said:

If going for the full racing experience you may as well spring for one of these racing cockpits

Or better yet, build your own like TerryRed's :)

1 hour ago, shroud said:

Is there any steering wheel that works for both PS and PC?

Haven't seen one for the original and PC, or at least not a model specifically touted for it.  For PS2 or 3, the one I just bought after stigzler's recommendation.  You'll have to watch ebay for a good deal though, or CL.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2017 at 8:21 PM, the_greeze said:

Most MAME driving games play well. If a game was originally fitted with an optical wheel though, it can be difficult to get it set up correctly.

Is it possible at all to play such games with a modern steering while like the Driving Force GT? As I was asking in a separate thread, I am mostly into old top-down driving games such as Sprint or Ivan Ironman Stewart's Off-Road, but I am beginning to understand that maybe those games were controlled by a free-spinning wheel that essentially worked like a spinner? So I wonder if there's a way to configure them to use a modern return-to-zero steering wheel instead.

I haven't tried it personally, but given the game-play of those old titles, it seems like they may work, but not very well.  The force feedback and return to center would seem to completely ruin the expedience since these features were so alien to games of that era. 

I would fire mine and try, but I currently don't have anything loaded.  You may be able to convince stigzler to give it a go and see how it goes. 

Something like the Turbo twist 2 with a wheel attachment I mentioned above would seem a much better fit for these older titles IMO, but no gas pedal.

23 hours ago, shroud said:

Is it possible at all to play such games with a modern steering while like the Driving Force GT? As I was asking in a separate thread, I am mostly into old top-down driving games such as Sprint or Ivan Ironman Stewart's Off-Road, but I am beginning to understand that maybe those games were controlled by a free-spinning wheel that essentially worked like a spinner? So I wonder if there's a way to configure them to use a modern return-to-zero steering wheel instead.

Well, I never managed to get an optical game to play nicely with the DFGT. That's not to say it's impossible though...